• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just got my FIRST Period Flight Jacket!!! Monarch M445

PaulGT3

Thanks to Tom (Bazelot) I bought a real wearable Navy M445!!! I got it today
and the fleece is remarkable, and although there are some repairs the jacket
is in wonderful shape considering its from 1943. 70 years old and its just
a beauty!! The fleece has a wonderful warm buttery nutmeg kind of color.
I really got lucky because my interest is leaning toward the ANJ-4 type of jackets
or a Irvin. But I had no Idea I would find an original in that area from one of our
forum brothers. Pictures are here
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14797

PaulGT3

Thanks Andrew, it is a neat jacket. Its in great shape and can be worn on occasion. I am really surprised at how
supple it still is.

Skip

Roughwear said:
I'm pleased for you. I look forward to seeing some pics of you wearing this Monarch.

Good one Paul it'll look a treat with you inside, not going to make us wait till next Winter for the pics are you, suspense is a terrible thing... ;)

PaulGT3

I will post pics as soon as our daytime temps hit the high 40's again..... WHich
should be October/Nov LOL!

TankBuster

Very nice! Congrats, and welcome to the world of original jackets! Once you start down the path, there's no turning back. ;)

dujardin

congratssssssss

as Jeff said...... you catch the virus, one...two...three.......................................

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Very nice! Congrats, and welcome to the world of original jackets! Once you start down the path, there's no turning back. ;)

This is so true Jeff! ;) What is next on your list Paul? An original A2 perhaps?

PaulGT3

I dont know Andrew, seriously, I dedicated our hall closet to my flight jackets.I have all my Goodwears in there
and two of the flight engineer on the Joint Strike fighter jackets which are nylon with flight Engineer sewed on the
back. The closet is so full I dont have a place for this one! I just did the Lexol treatment I found on fedora, and
it really looks good, but its on chair in my bedroom lying flat. I JUST WISH I could wear it some where!!
Caveat` noted Mr Lever!!. If the temps stay low I may wear it this week! Highs in the low 70's and lows in the 40's
I could go out and 4 in the morning and need to wear it!!
But I am amazed at how good this jacket looks! It has Zipp stitches on it, I guess from a Depot visits
during the war. The knit cuffs look new, one has a moth hole and its tiny
But my main thought instead of whats next is WHERE to put it, not which one is next.
This one is a freak me finding it, and the price being right.

But I would like input on where to find them!!

Peter Graham

Paul, whatever you do, don't hang it in the closet. Hangers are the death of vintage shearling and I don't mean to sound like a fuddy duddy but wear it gently. Navy shearlings have a reputation for fragility. Beautiful jacket by the way. Enjoy it.

PaulGT3

Thanks Peter, mine is sitting flat on a plastic container. I guessed that hanging it up would be a disaster.
I will have on a few chances to wear it given the weather here. But anytime I go to the mountains
I could wear it. I guess now I am going to have to learn about displays? In the summer we use
evaporative coolers so its always moist or at least abit humid in the house. Is that better
than the bonecrunching dry weather we have in the winter.