• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I has made myself an USN Deck Hook Jacket

Bombing IP

The back of the original shown in the picture Threasher ,the SSN Threasher the 2nd had a very short service life and was lost off Cape Cod 220 miles east of Boston at 1400 fathoms with all hands .Laid down in 58 lost at sea 63 . Trieste was sent down and the pictures sent back confirmed she had broken up
My friend was a submariner and he learnt about this in his training although he tells me a different story to why it went down .

BIP

Last edited:

Geeboo

A bit of hand work updated. Mine is on the left, the originals are on the right. I have centred the name of the ship whereas in the original the position is a bit off center.
Now, only need 1-2 wash that will wash away a bit of paint & the "newness", then a final coat of canvas & metal protector over the stencil & the metal parts - that's about it !

P.S. By proportion , the height of the ship name should be about 23mm, a lapse of mind, I have used 1 inch = 25.4mm for the sake of simplicity - lazy. Now, I suffer from the outcome - the ship name is slightly larger than the original font. My point is : this is how accurate repro is about or a human eye can be about - 2mm difference.

Compare_8.jpg
Compare_9.jpg
Compare_10.jpg

Last edited:

Geeboo

Question: I have located a few Deck Hook & Deck Zip jkts specimen whereas there are no pre-fix [NXss, NXs, NXsx, etc] before the contract no. ?
Are all these jkt ordered through naval bureaus ? How is that possible ?
prefix.jpg

A2 B3au

Quality and if u decide you want to make yourself another can I have first dibs on this, I’d quite like to make this my first naval jacket. Awesome work

A2 B3au

Question: I have located a few Deck Hook & Deck Zip jkts specimen whereas there are no pre-fix [NXss, NXs, NXsx, etc] before the contract no. ?
Are all these jkt ordered through naval bureaus ? How is that possible ?
View attachment 13026
I thought I read you mentioned getting your tailor to do something to your last project so am I wrong in thinking you created the jacket 100% entirely on your own ... nice one Art

Geeboo

No. I did not sew/ make the jkt myself, all the sewing is done by my tailor - that is the most difficult part - to control the details of the sewing - some need closer spacing, some need wider spacing, some need single line here; double line there, button holes or closure at a particular distance from somewhere........most tailor do not entertain this kind of strange order. I appreciate I find one who are willingly to mess with me - even so, since there are so many variations in jkt - difficult to get it all done.
I am responsible for all materials sourcing, pattern measurements and details fixing.

B-Man2

No. I did not sew/ make the jkt myself, all the sewing is done by my tailor - that is the most difficult part - to control the details of the sewing - some need closer spacing, some need wider spacing, some need single line here; double line there, button holes or closure at a particular distance from somewhere........most tailor do not entertain this kind of strange order. I appreciate I find one who are willingly to mess with me - even so, since there are so many variations in jkt - difficult to get it all done.
I am responsible for all materials sourcing, pattern measurements and details fixing.
That takes a very understanding tailor. Treat him well;)

A2 B3au

Great collaboration partner you’ve found, I was thinking you must of unlocked some mutant tailoring ability to be able to pull of those jackets the way u did at your first attempt. Presumably it’s a bit of a passion as I’d expect it works out a little less than buying a high end repo once all is said and done

B-Man2

A well paid tailor no doubt.

Bombing IP

Outstanding Geeboo you have created a jacket that would be taken for an original . Too perfect on the writing and it would like it came out of a production factory with set up screen printing . Yours looks like it was made up by the quartermaster mate who's job it was to make up a stencil order for a complete crew ,they definitely would all have a little variance from #1 to # 60 (Complement: 6 officers, 54 enlisted ) SS200 .

Something interesting I found on the internet about the Thresher

USS Thresher (SSn 593) is named for a shark of the family Alopias. Known scientifically as Alopias Vulpinus(Bonnaterre), the thresher is easy to recognize because its tail is longer than the combined length of its head and body, and the first dorsal fin does not extend backward to the pelvic fin. The thresher derives its name from the supposed habit of using its tail to beat the water in a compact school of fish, stunning some of the fish and eating injured ones. Harmless to man, the maximum length of the thresher shark is more than 20 feet.

Source
/https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...ibrary-t/uss-thresher-selected-documents.html

Geeboo you are a Master .

BIP

Last edited:

Geeboo

20181224_113234.jpg
Bombing - that is too much of a praise. "...a jacket that would be taken for an original" - that is always my goal in making these jackets :) The credit is given to the cracking medium I applied to the US Navy font before the paint [whereas no this cracking medium in the ship name] - to my surprise, after the 1st wash, it do work in a way some paint fell off much like as U said screen printing after repeated washes. There are also some micro cracks appeared in the fonts too.
Why #1 to #120 , not #140 ? - no. of crew in a ship ?
I have based on the 1st Thresher ss-200 which serving period matches with the production date of this WWII jacket -USS Thresher (SS-200) a Tambor-classsubmarine, was the most decorated United States Navy submarine of World War II. Her keel was laid down 27 May 1939 at the Electric Boat Company of Groton, Connecticut. She was launched on 27 March 1940 sponsored by Mrs. Claud A. Jones and commissioned on 27 August 1940, with Lieutenant Commander William Lovett Anderson (U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 1926) in command.
Launched: 27 March 1940
Commissioned: 27 August 1940
Decommissioned: 13 December 1945
Recommissioned: 6 February 1946
Decommissioned: 12 July 1946

Being in HK, I know nothing about enlist, what does a quartermaster do ?

P.S. I am SO happy not because I have done a pretty cool jkt but have someone whom can see through my effort that had been put into it. cheers:p

Last edited: