• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I call bull crap on ebay...

jschare

I sold, or thought I sold, a G-1 on ebay last week, however, the buyer never paid. I sent the buyer 3 invoices and numerous emails requesting payment. I never received payment or any response to the emails so I opened an unpaid item claim on the buyer. The buyer was given another 4 days to pay and still never paid or answered emails requesting payment. I finally cancelled the case because I wanted to get a final valuation credit and send a Second Chance Offer. Once I went through all of this, I wanted to leave negative feedback on the buyer to warn other sellers of his non payment but was unable to because, and I quote from ebay, "Sorry, it's not possible to leave feedback for this transaction. Feedback has been disabled because payment was not recorded." I call BULL CRAP on this! How else are you able to warn other sellers if you can't leave negative feedback on a person like this??

Roughwear

I had exactly the same situation last year. Unfortunately sellers have not been able to leave negative feedback for some years now-very unfair in cases where the person does not pay.

Silver Surfer

ditto. twice in the last month from chinese bidders. wtf???? these assholz are free to do this to anyone, anytime, with no repercussions. fubar.

ghq1

Seems like a member here shipped a jacket to someone but then got a TOWEL back as a return . . .so the buyer got the jacket and a refund while the seller lost BOTH . . . and no ability to leave neg fb. I'm really surpised that there's not more fraud in this regard -- seems like a huge loophole with almost no remedy.

Some buyers wallk away and if they do I cancel the transaction, block the bidder, and relist the item. Sometimes it's easier to move on

I also create an exclusion list to exclude any countries I wish . . .

Ebay used to be a great place to sell so much so I made my living on it . .but those were the days of being able to sell firearms and fun stuff . . .

So I hear you bullcrap indeed . . .to infinity and beyond!

John Lever

Can you block sales to certain countries ?
I am considering never selling to anywhere where customs are involved. For us in the UK it's the EU and that's it. Any returns from outside will be subject to VAT and duties, not worth the hassle.

a2jacketpatches

You can block all foreign countries, and any bidder, you can also cancel any bids up til 24 hrs before auction end. Buyers who have unpaid item cases filed against them that they do not resolve, receive an unpaid item strike. Sellers can find this info but have to search for it. A good way to see if a buyer is less than desirable is to see the " feedback left for others. Unfortunately, you'll have to investigate all bidders before hand as they show up. I usually don't have a problem, so in most cases, I'll only investigate on high dollar items, and I have blocked bidders.

Most recently a buyer with 13 transactions from China contacted me several times about expensive shipping, I looked in his FB left for others and found this.

a neg left for a guy with 100% positive and over 3000 transactions ( well he had 100% until this knucklehead )
a neutral that stated " not satisfied but maybe not sellers fault
and the rest positive but with negative vibes

Needless to say, I replied to his last email this- That I discovered these details, that he was very ignorant as to how the feedback system works, and that he's blocked from my Ebay forever.

hacker

I recently had a non-paying bidder, filed with eBay and they let it run for over 4 weeks!...Finally enough badgering on my part to the buyer got the sale done, over $10 crappy dollars!!!!......The joke is the buyer has 100% feedback, like it means anything!!!.. :roll:

I listed an item a short while back that was pulled by eBay as against eBay rules, even though it was almost a carbon copy of one that sold just before mine! When I wrote them on it, I got back a bullshit form letter and then a survey to fill out which they never commented on!...I've said before, eBay has radically changed with sellers now at a severe disadvantage. When I look back over the years at some of the tough sales I went thru and think how I would be screwed now by how things are currently run, I no longer sell jackets on eBay, way to much risk....

A

Anonymous

I think you forget that the buyer (customer) is always right.

Stony

I agree with the "buy it now" method and will probably go that route from now on as I also just had a non-paying winner from "China". That person has been added to my blocked bidders list along with a few others.

This is why I try to sell a lot of items in these forums first.

I also like the "neutral" feedback, but I don't like the "no feedback" when you get screwed. I mean, the sellers are paying fees just like the buyers, so why not equality?

A

Anonymous

I have left positive feedback, then described what an arse they were.

RCSignals

I sold a jacket once, not a flight jacket, but it was new, never worn. Made of lamb. It was perfect when sent but shortly after receiving it the buyer filed a claim declaring it had a tear. He claimed he could see it in the photos, which was nonsense. Both eBay and Pay Pal aggreed they couldn't see a tear but I still lost the case. When I got the jacket back it had a 'corner' tear. The buyer had obviously caught it on a nail or something similar.
EBay did tell me the buyer had a history of such claims and they put a watch on his account but it didn't help me. I contacted eBay about the condition of the jacket returned not as sent. EBay did refund to me some $ based on what it should cost to repair. I had the jacket repaired and relisted it, selling of course for much less.

I can understand the buyer protection system, it was needed, but eBay has created an imbalance in the other direction.

Stony

I don't remember why ebay stopped allowing sellers to give negative feedback. Can anyone enlighten me please?

RCSignals

Apparently sellers were using feedback as an extortion for positive feedback. It began before all the buyer protection as I recall.
With buyer protection a devious seller can no longer send faulty goods and use neg feedback as extortion for positive, but eBay hasn't adjusted that no neg feedback rule.
I remember when feedback could be left even if there was no transaction. That was bad.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
I don't remember why ebay stopped allowing sellers to give negative feedback. Can anyone enlighten me please?

• Last Updated: Tuesday, 5 February 2008, 17:20 GMT

EBay to ban negative seller views

The feedback system is central to eBay's online auction experience
    Online auction site eBay has said it plans to overhaul its feedback system and will ban sellers from leaving negative comments about buyers.
    EBay said problems were occurring, and slowing down trade, when buyers left negative comments about sellers who then retaliated with their own views.

From May, those selling on eBay will not be able to leave unfavourable or neutral messages about buyers.

The move, which will affect users worldwide, has angered many sellers.

Sellers say it will leave them unprotected.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7228460.stm

Cobblers161

The Seller Feedback issue definitely needs to change. I had a run in with a German buyer who bought 2 items then refused to pay the calculated postage as it was too high. As it turned out I was £1.40 over and refunded him this so he paid the exact costs, I can't really do fairer than that. The result was 2 negative feedbacks, my only 2 out of 630 transactions. Needless to say it has left a bitter taste.

The above just adds to why I have so little respect for ebay, along with the selling fee, papypal fee etc....

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
I sold a jacket once, not a flight jacket, but it was new, never worn. Made of lamb. It was perfect when sent but shortly after receiving it the buyer filed a claim declaring it had a tear. He claimed he could see it in the photos, which was nonsense. Both eBay and Pay Pal aggreed they couldn't see a tear but I still lost the case. When I got the jacket back it had a 'corner' tear. The buyer had obviously caught it on a nail or something similar.
EBay did tell me the buyer had a history of such claims and they put a watch on his account but it didn't help me. I contacted eBay about the condition of the jacket returned not as sent. EBay did refund to me some $ based on what it should cost to repair. I had the jacket repaired and relisted it, selling of course for much less.
He probably decided he didn't like the jacket and deliberately damaged it so he could return it. The fact that eBay doesn't protect sellers in such cases is outrageous.

ButteMT61

I believe this change came in 2008.
See this page for how to compensate for taking away seller feedback.
I understand why they did it, but I don't agree with it.