• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to measure the arm/ Sleeve length on A-2!!

coanda

I wonder if it would be possible to ask as many of you as possible to settle what is an amicable “ Argument” In that I am involved in a discussion as to where the Arm Length / Sleeve length is measured from on the shoulder of a A-2 Jacket.
The two options for consideration are in no particular order as follows.

1. To run a tailors tape along the outside contour of the length of the sleeve from the cuff to the shoulder seam/epaulette to the cuff, allowing for any bend or curve in the arm profile.

Bronco042.jpg

2. To run a tape in a straight line form the end of the epaulette/Shoulder seam to the end of the cuff.

Bronco044.jpg

I am very grateful to you all for your esteemed opinion!
Regards to all
Rick

RCSignals

In my experience with any type jacket there are basically two ways as mentioned above. The important thing to know is how the person telling you the measurement did it, and in the case of an A-2, if the knits were included.
A jacket sleeve length is often measured from the crown of the shoulder to the cuff end.
A tailor will measure sleeves both ways, from center of back, and from shoulder down.
Usually shirt sleeve length is specified and measured from the center of the back, along the shoulder and down a slightly bent arm.

Roughwear

coanda said:
I wonder if it would be possible to ask as many of you as possible to settle what is an amicable “ Argument” In that I am involved in a discussion as to where the Arm Length / Sleeve length is measured from on the shoulder of a A-2 Jacket.

1. To run a tailors tape along the outside contour of the length of the sleeve from the cuff to the shoulder seam/epaulette to the cuff, allowing for any bend or curve in the arm profile.

Bronco042.jpg

2. To run a tape in a straight line form the end of the epaulette/Shoulder seam to the end of the cuff.

Bronco044.jpg

Regards to all
Rick

No. 1 accounts for the curve in the arm which allows for movement and can cause a little confusion.

Roughwear

coanda said:

Bronco042.jpg

Bronco044.jpg

Regards to all

Rick
I always measure as no. 2.

Looks like there are two methods for measuring an A-2.

Hypothetical question: Does that mean when a seller list an A-2 Jacket with method 1 measurements and has no idea that the buyer uses method 2 and claims method 1 is the wrong way, files a complaint with Paypal (wrong Model) to hold funds for a full refund. The seller has no way to know ( Mind Reader) from the buyer Without being questioned on how measurements were taken before the sale was final?

Vcruiser

Jaguar46 said:
I always measure as no. 2.[/quote]

So do I and this is how I assume others measure.[/quote]

Yep..that's the way I've always measured sleeve length. I don't know why anyone would measure like No#1. Just not accurate for the actual length...
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
I don't know why anyone would measure like No#1. Just not accurate for the actual length...

I measure using the first method, without the tape being that relaxed ... more copying the diagram at Acme Depot:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/measure.shtml

It's always worked for me, I give sleeve lengths to RM, and they always come back dead on when I re-measure the same way. The second method, seems to me, to assume that the wearer's arm is two dimensional.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:
I don't know why anyone would measure like No#1. Just not accurate for the actual length...

I measure using the first method, without the tape being that relaxed ... more copying the diagram at Acme Depot:

It's always worked for me, I give sleeve lengths to RM, and they always come back dead on when I re-measure the same way. The second method, seems to me, to assume that the wearer's arm is two dimensional.

Each to his own I guess, but method 1 has not worked well for me.

RCSignals

Method no.2 I think is the most common and most accurate. No.1 measuring along the curve would not make for an accurate length

Andrew

Sleeve length is the main measurement for me when ordering or buying a jacket- I must have monkey arms as I just seem to need length, but then i'm on the tall side. That's why I always measure the method that gives the longest dimension (no. 01) and measure to the leather only then give a second measurement for the knits (as they can vary too) as I feel it best describes what I would need if buying.

When you think about it your arm follows that shape (sort of what Dave is saying) and the longest outside curve is the determinant of sleeve length.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
Method no.2 I think is the most common and most accurate. No.1 measuring along the curve would not make for an accurate length

I think measuring straight down the centre gives a short measurement. Here's the measuring instructions from my shirtmaker, and an illustration from eHow ...

• Shirt sleeves are measured from the centre back of the neck to the end of the cuff. If you are using one of our shirts, it will have a back yoke which has a seam in the back to give you the centre point of the back. If you don’t have that, you need to find the centre point and the best way to do that is to fold the shirt in half and mark the centre with a pin. Measure from the centre line or pin, along the top of shoulder, down the top edge of the sleeve to the end of the cuff and you will get your sleeve length.

measure-mans-sleeve-length-800x800.jpg

I've ordered many jackets using method 1 without any issues. Bought and sold with method 1 with over 60 flight jackets, originals, and repros without incident/complaints. Could it possibly be why there is such a turn around with jacket collectors because there are many methods out there for measuring? So far there is method 1 & 2 along with 3 measuring from the nape to the cuff, 4 measuring to the end of leather then the knits, are there other methods? My method has been handed down to me by my late grandparents, thay had a Tailors shop in London from the late 1940's to the early 80's . I listen to many stories about making dresses for the queen along with many other esteem public figures. My grandfather showed me how to measure from the top of the shoulder to the wrist with a slight bend, so that allots for movement and bending the elbow without riding up your wrist and forearm when made, and worn.

Langlitz uses method 1 and has been around since 1948, Surly they would have gone out of business if they were doing it wrong. If you surf the internet, ebay shows you with method 1 along with many other sites. I've so far looked up all four methods on how to measure the sleeve length from the internet, and all 4 are known methods, which I learned this week.

I guess it comes down to what you know and/or what your taught.

There isn't a right or wrong method, Just differant methods.

Communication is key to our great hobby.

deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:

It was hard to take the photo and follow the sleeve at the same time :D I have the tape more tont when measuring, as you.

Jaguar46

One of the problems with measuring any garment, is the "stretchiness" of the material. You can vary the measurement quite a bit, just by tugging it to its maximum limit. I think that variance is more of an issue, than the differences of measuring method 1. vs method 2.