• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long it takes to free your arms?

better duck

tcwu said:
I am wearing my ELC B-3 and typing now.
Hey, that's the spirit! Wear it whereever and whenever you can, right :)
I wear an A2 for typing jobs, nothing heavier. But I have no difficulty at all moving my arms about when wearing my ELC B3. Never had, for that matter: it was alright right from the start when I bought it new some 12 years ago.
Whn I get home, I'll get behind my keybord wearing my B3 to check whether it is suited for this kind of delicate work.

I think it's the leather facings on the arms that cause the problem.

I've got a similar issue with my ANJ-4, it's really heavy going when I'm on the phone in it for more than a few mins.

josisek

The shearling in the arms of my ELC B-3 is shorter than the shearliing in the body. Also, after a season of wear, it seems that the shearling compacts even more, and you should have even more room.

John Lever

Recently I was away on holiday in Austria. It was cold and I wore my ELC Anj-4 for several hours at a stretch. It was very tiring after an hour or so, particularly around the upper shoulders and neck. It was a relief to take it off for a sit down and a rest and have some mulled wine.
These heavy weight shearlings with all the horse hide reinforcing look cool and stylish, but they belong to another age in terms of practicality. Look at the technology they accompanied- very primitive by today's standards. If you need to be warm and comfortable then down and Goretex are the answer, but then you will be wearing an Anorak and look like one !
I find my Irvin easier on the arms while driving than my USAAF shearlings.

jacketimp

John Lever said:
Recently I was away on holiday in Austria. It was cold and I wore my ELC Anj-4 for several hours at a stretch. It was very tiring after an hour or so, particularly around the upper shoulders and neck. It was a relief to take it off for a sit down and a rest and have some mulled wine.
These heavy weight shearlings with all the horse hide reinforcing look cool and stylish, but they belong to another age in terms of practicality. Look at the technology they accompanied- very primitive by today's standards. If you need to be warm and comfortable then down and Goretex are the answer, but then you will be wearing an Anorak and look like one !

good point , john.

Curahee

John Lever said:

Yeah, and that's why the B-10 was so popular, although not quite as warm or durable and let's face it goodlooking as an ANJ-4or B 3. And before I forget, the HH facings on my 1 year old ELC ANJ-4 have now aprox. 2 months of wear on them and still a little stiff-ish.
I would say it needs another winter or the JL treatment (look it up)

donsom

I'll be honest ... my biggest issue with my Aero ANJ-4 is that the shearling is so thick and comfy that I get "snoozey" while driving long treks with it on.

With the ANJ-4, the heavier horsehide doesn't make it up to the top of the shoulder (unlike the B-3). That coupled with the the pit being softer leather (and a seperate cut) gives the arms extra mobility and puts less stress on the shoulders.

Although, because it's so snug ... when you take it off ... the best way to describe it is like taking off your ice skates. You have to work at it a bit to get out ... and then there's that feeling of being able to stretch after getting out of "confinement".... :lol:

Making any sense? Suppose not to anyone who's never owned a pair of skates....

I also own a Hawk & Company down filled parka. It's warm ... but you have to layer with something like a fleece vest to get full warmth. I'd put my Aero ANJ-4 up against it for warmth any day (wearing just a T-shirt underneath).

The ANJ-4 IS heavy though, which could definitely be more tiring for some. The down filled parka weighs almost nothing in comparison.