• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horsehide RESURGENCE!

bfrench

Administrator
Officer Dibley said:
Peter Graham said:
Perhaps Officer Dibley should refer to the title of this forum and all that it implies. I'm sure there are forums that cater for discussion on current flight gear. You may be better off joining one of these.

It may come as a shock but this is not the only forum I belong to. But this one does have the largest per capita of posers and wannabees ! :lol: Some people really take this way too seriously. My point was the pre-occupation with the details of something that the real users could have cared less about. One group walk the walk, the others just talk ...... Never heard one of the Eagle drivers or RQS helo boys ask if they look good or authentic in their A-2's. Perhaps because their lives are not bereft of achievement and inadequacy . And that remark is not aimied at current or ex mil. I suspect most of those understand what I am trying to say. I hope so.

OD, I think that you missed the point of collecting and also of buying reproductions.

When people pay well over $1000.00 for a reproduction then it is the details of that reproduction that come under scrutiny - if the reproduction has flaws in the design then why buy it especially at a premium price.

As for how it looks - well for the price it had better look bang on.

As for being a poseur - well during my 38 years as a pilot I saw many of them and not one had a period correct reproduction and that has only been possible now by a lot of our members pointing out the incorrect details and even including the main detail oriented guy who opened his own reproduction store and raised the bar for everyone.

Details, details, details - the devil is in the details - it happens in most thing we do and if you don't find them then you might as well buy a $100.00 jacket from San Diego Leather.

Jeff M

"Posers" and "wannabees"?
Caution mate, your envy is showing.

To quote Oscar Wilde;

“Being natural is simply a pose, and the most irritating pose I know.”

Rutger

I collect Morgan dollars, and as such pay attention to sharpness of the strike, mirror-like fields and frosty devices.
Yet no one has accused me of being a wannabe poser Super Intendent of the US Mint; this with having in mind that once the mint presses had started spewing the dollars out the Super Intendent didn't care about sharpness, mirror-like fields or frosty devices. Hence the large range of quality throughout the available Morgan dollars. Should I not be allowed to pick out the ones that have the nicest details?

Likewise, I collect flight jackets, and as such I pay attention to the cut, the material, the zips, authenticity related to the era etc.
Why am I (like most members here a civilian, with a decent job for his living, and never trying to pretend) belittled as a poser, a wannabe and clearly lower on the human scale then anyone bar none who is a military? Aren't there any posers in the military? Aren't the military part of society and thereby by definition will include all the possible mindsets that can be found in the civilian part of society as well?

Pope

The A-2 flight jacket since WWll has become the icon of a different period continuing until to today. You can assign to this jacket a history that probably no article of clothing has ever accomplished. The fact that it is still manufactured today in it's various iterations from cheap lamb leather to the most exact and expensive HH and goat only glorifies and honors the time and the guys and gals who wore them. My interest in the A-2 started with a picture of my Dad in his A-2 and also his D-1. He was a Glider Crew Chief. I was in the U.S. Army, where I was, the A-2 would have been a little warm and would have rotted rather quickly, but my fascination with the A-2 comes not only from my Dad but all the men and women who served in WWII and personnify the generation that shaped us today.

As a WWII history nut thanks to my Dad, I have over the years bought and collected a lot of A-2"s from most of the premium and not so premium manufactures'. The first one I bought and showed to my Dad I asked him if it looked like the one he had and he said "yeah I guess so, the pockets look the same". My point is the guys that actually wore them actually didn't give a crap about the pocket spacing or how long the arms are or how accurate the tag is. Having said that, the guys on this forum who collect and worry over the specs of the jacket they own..............I applaude them, you are keeping history and accuracy of subject alive! Jacket collecting is like any other hobbie, accuracy of the subject hobby is important to keeping it pure.
Debate the specs, it actually keeps the subject interesting.

Mike

269sqnhudson

Officer Dibley said:
Nothing wrong if you want to be obsessive about contracts or pocket flaps or asking people how you look in you jacket but the folks who really do the do don't give a flying fart about such trivia - they have more important things to worry about like actually flying an $82,000,000 airframe.

Having just had a browse through some of your earlier posts you are one of the former rather than the latter so I don't really see why you are so strong in this opinion :?

Officer Dibley said:
Peter Graham said:
Perhaps Officer Dibley should refer to the title of this forum and all that it implies. I'm sure there are forums that cater for discussion on current flight gear. You may be better off joining one of these.

It may come as a shock but this is not the only forum I belong to. But this one does have the largest per capita of posers and wannabees ! :lol: Some people really take this way too seriously. My point was the pre-occupation with the details of something that the real users could have cared less about. One group walk the walk, the others just talk ...... Never heard one of the Eagle drivers or RQS helo boys ask if they look good or authentic in their A-2's. Perhaps because their lives are not bereft of achievement and inadequacy . And that remark is not aimied at current or ex mil. I suspect most of those understand what I am trying to say. I hope so.

All well and good, and really too easy to post such snark. The simpler - and correct - remedy would be to lurk and get what you want/need from here and leave others alone..don't you think? Where did you serve and what'd you fly? Not that it matters..but it all seems to matter to you.

Steve H

Officer Dibley said:
Peter Graham said:

Well I served 12 years full time in tanks. During that time I couldn't give a rats arse about what I was issued in regards to where it was made etc HOWEVER I did invest in some practical, non-issued kit and you can be sure I knew where that came from. I knew of its limitations and details as to not do so would possibly endanger me or my mates. Posing had nothing to do with it. I would guess most PROFESSIONALS would be in the same boat.

I had other interests as well that I was passionate about, VLJ being one of them. Part of my "poseur" interest is historical reenactment so I think its important to get details right. Call it posing if you like, I really don't care. I've walked the walk and don't need to be told what I can and can't do. I earned that in the mud and dust. SEE AVATAR

I think its a generalised statement saying that those who walk the walk don't care about their gear. I know for a fact they do but many would be too modest to admit it. And I'm in no way talking about posing.

And by the way- making arrogant statements about people whose lives (interests methinks) are bereft of achievement and inadequacy is not going to win you friends on this forum. Your words "Officer" Dibley. They are just people with interests and expensive interests to boot- hence the passion about details. - Just sayin'.