• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horse Oil - Could it be the best leather conditioner on earth?

Skyhawk

Also called Mustang Paste. Has anybody tried this stuff? It's supposed to be the ultimate and contains no wax or petrol materials. Mash sells it too but this seems to be a better deal:
https://www.goodsjapan.com/seiwa-le...reatment-balm-conditioner-paste-large/a-20824
Screenshot 2023-12-30 113159.jpg

Skyhawk

Funny, but the ads say it's for any type of leather except suede / nubuck. It is supposed to absorb into the leather much better than wax or petroleum jelly, with no residue afterwards.

has anyone tried it?

Smithy

This is always a silly topic because it's so subjective.

I'll say this though, I'd pick RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing by a country mile.

Been using it for eons, and not just on jackets. Works brilliantly on boots, luggage, horse tack, leather car seats, you bloody name it. It's been around for donkey's years. Terrific stuff, never goes rancid, safe for stitching.

I know old Paddy Middleton (VLJ member and long time mod over on Le Salon du Chapeau) won't use anything else either.

Probably the least known stuff in the jacket world but anybody who has actually used it will very often never use anything else. I never will.

Skyhawk

This stuff is something totally different than all of those products. 100% refined horse fat. I don't think it has been discussed before. Maybe someone has tried it since it is available at MASH. I am more interested in a impression from someone who used it, than a replay of an old debate. We all have our opinions. This stuff sounds completely different than anything we have used.

Skyhawk

Sounds more like 100% horse s---

(I'll see myself out)
Did you even bother reading about it?

Sounds like nobody has tried it. Here is some info from the manufacturer.

"Created from the deodorized rendering of horse fat, this oil is similar to mink oil, but, less greasy, with thinner gel-like properties and more manageable, also it will not stain most leather as mink oil will. Care should be taken to use sparingly, especially with thin leather.

Horse oil, otherwise known as 'Mustang Paste', will revitalize your leather without the risk of rot that Neatsfoot oil or other blended compounds bring and, unlike wax treatments, it will penetrate the dermas and nourish the grain of your leather without leaving an oily residue. Unlike almost all other types of treatments, Horse oil is odorless which is ideal for most, if not all, types of leather goods and wear.

A deep penetrating balm, Horse Oil will permeate the grain of the leather into the corium, thereby softening it. Suitable for all kinds of leather this is the only conditioner your should use for your most precious of leather goods."

Skyhawk

Cool. I have some on the way.

If it is amazing, I will post a review and then everyone can tell me how much better Vaseline is. ;)
(Also a joke but it wouldn't surprise me either)

CombatWombat

Cool. I have some on the way.

If it is amazing, I will post a review and then everyone can tell me how much better Vaseline is. ;)
(Also a joke but it wouldn't surprise me either)
I've used "horse oil" before on saddles.........it's as sticky as mink oil and definitely has a smell......
Any organic/lard compound has a unique smell and this is no different.

If you want a easily absorbed oil then I'd suggest a compound like teatree oil mixed with lanolin

Skyhawk

I've used "horse oil" before on saddles.........it's as sticky as mink oil and definitely has a smell......
Any organic/lard compound has a unique smell and this is no different.
Yes it is different. it has arrived I just sniffed it. No smell at all.
This one is refined and that removes the smell and stabilizes it so it won't go rancid. I would risk putting something on a jacket that could go rancid.

From the manufacturer:
This premium, deep penetrating leathercraft and leather conditioning treatment is by far our best, made from rendered horse fat this horse oil is a non-greasy formula will bring your old, dry or damaged leather back to life far better than other treatments.

Created from the deodorized rendering of horse fat, this oil is similar to mink oil, but, less greasy, with thinner gel-like properties and more manageable, also it will not stain most leather as mink oil will. Care should be taken to use sparingly, especially with thin leather.

Horse oil, otherwise known as 'Mustang Paste', will revitalize your leather without the risk of rot that Neatsfoot oil or other blended compounds bring and, unlike wax treatments, it will penetrate the dermas and nourish the grain of your leather without leaving an oily residue. Unlike almost all other types of treatments, Horse oil is odorless which is ideal for most, if not all, types of leather goods and wear.

Skyhawk

Tea Tree oil is great for bug bites and small cuts, but it is very drying so I would not put it on leather. Lanolin is OK but it is greasy.

Smithy

TBH there's a lot of wank when it comes to leather conditioners and dressings.

My family back home have three sheep and cattle stations and because in Godzone it's very rugged country horses are used for mustering and getting around. For that reason there's loads of leather - horse tack, boots, bags and a million other things. My family use stuff from the horse supplies shop and also that RM Williams goo I mentioned above. All of the products have two things in common - natural ingredients and ones that will not go rancid. We have saddles, whips, rifle slings and bits and bobs from nearly a century ago which are still fine and useable.

This isn't bloody rocket science. Pick a good natural product which has been proven and which won't go off and use it when needed. In truth I don't think most repro jackets need much conditioning. Boots/shoes yes. Repro jackets no.

Micawber

TBH there's a lot of wank when it comes to leather conditioners and dressings.

My family back home have three sheep and cattle stations and because in Godzone it's very rugged country horses are used for mustering and getting around. For that reason there's loads of leather - horse tack, boots, bags and a million other things. My family use stuff from the horse supplies shop and also that RM Williams goo I mentioned above. All of the products have two things in common - natural ingredients and ones that will not go rancid. We have saddles, whips, rifle slings and bits and bobs from nearly a century ago which are still fine and useable.

This isn't bloody rocket science. Pick a good natural product which has been proven and which won't go off and use it when needed. In truth I don't think most repro jackets need much conditioning. Boots/shoes yes. Repro jackets no.

Agreed, same here. We have horses, we have harness and tack some of which goes back to when they were used in crap weather and cared for by horsemen who's livelihoods depended on the gear being serviceable and fit and safe for work day in and day out, week after week. They knew their stuff.

Smithy

Agreed, same here. We have horses, we have harness and tack some of which goes back to when they were used in crap weather and cared for by horsemen who's livelihoods depended on the gear being serviceable and fit and safe for work day in and day out, week after week. They knew their stuff.

It's funny Steve before I got into this jacket thing I never thought much about treating leather. There was the stuff that was done on the farms and then the sporting stuff - dubbining rugby boots, etc. It was just something you did, nothing which required navel gazing.

I always chuckle about the hand-wringing that goes on about treating a newish repro jacket when my cousin had out not long ago a saddle (which had been washed and conditioned over its decades of use) my grandfather had used in the 30s ;)