• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Sizing of Eastman 1401 selling 1 & buying another

cmjordan77

Folks,
I am a newer member. I bought a Eastman 1401 in DEC, used from a guy on another site. I am 6' 225lbs, 230 on my better days :)
The size 46 is not a good fit. Its way to snug. When I sit down, its halfway up my back almost (at least it feels that way), and I constantly pull and tug at the length. Well, I put it away after 1-2 wears. I got it out the other day and Sold it. I am working with another gracious gentleman I met on here. I am buying his sz 50 Eastman 1401. I trust his judgement totally, but I have not heard back yet, do you all think this will fit without looking bad? or too bulky? I am 32 and trying to start exercising to move down to about 200-210, but I am not there yet. I wanted the opinion of guys on here who have dealt with this, and know how to size these jackets. I am really new to the A-2's (other than I have an old COOPER, but the Buzz, Eastman, etc... they are in a different class). I dont know how to size really. I wear a 38 waist pair of pants, my shirts differ in size, but 17" neck, 35, 36 in shirt but trying to bust that down. I have had the WORSE luck lately sizing items, pants, jackets etc... I have purchased some WW2 uniform items on AT THE FRONT and WWII IMPRESSIONS, and darned if each time, I either got the item too small or too big.... I just have not had any sizing luck lately. So before I get the size 50, I just wanted some reassurance if I was doing the right thing, or if I should try to wait and get a size 48 A-2.
I really appreciate any and all help. I do not want to have a situation where I were it 1 or 2 times becuase its too big, and then just leave it in the closest again.
I want to get tihs and I want to be able to keep and wear this jacket for years and years to come. I just wanted to make sure this time, I got a size that will best fit me, and will still look great if I lose down to 200lbs (or maybe a few lbs less than this ;) , or if I stay 220lbs

Anyway, I just wanted to put this post on here and get ideas of what everyone thinks. I really appreciate any and all advice, suggestions and help!
Thank you!
Chad

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
cmjordan77 said:
The size 46 is not a good fit. Its way to snug. When I sit down, its halfway up my back almost (at least it feels that way), and I constantly pull and tug at the length.

In your earlier threads you were going to post a picture of yourself wearing the 46, and this would help us to advise on size. It's difficult to work out solely from a description, whether you need 2", or 4" more in the chest.

Pulling, and tugging at the length ... they can be like that at first, an A-2 can take a bit of getting used to. You could end up with a jacket that's too large, and still it would feel short.

cmjordan77

yeah,
I just wish it was easier to size, How much longer should a size 50 be verses a size 46?
I it may take another 4" for me, the 46" is a snug zip up.
I know 2" will be nice, 4" may do the trick,
I am going to try to snap some photos of me in the jacket while I still have it. I did sell it, But I will post some snaps of me in it before I ship it tomorrow night so you all may be able to help me figure out.
This will be a big help

Thank you!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
cmjordan77 said:
yeah, I just wish it was easier to size, How much longer should a size 50 be verses a size 46?

Probably one inch, maybe less ... but it should sit lower with the extra room in the chest, and shoulders.

Yeah photos, that will do it. ;)

Robman

With each larger size the fit will be longer even if no added length is there because the chest and shoulders aren't pinched up and will drape more easily.

Swing

cmjordan77 said:
Folks,
I am a newer member. I bought a Eastman 1401 in DEC, used from a guy on another site. I am 6' 225lbs, 230 on my better days :)
The size 46 is not a good fit.

You're about 10 lbs lighter than me and same height. I'm suprised you're able to wear a size 46. I tried a newer pattern (trimmer) size 48 #27752 on a couple years ago, and while I could get it on, I wouldn't have wanted to wear it (and I was probably a couple pounds lighter then). I have a size 48 Monarch that fits alright, though I could have used a little more shoulder width and arm length.

Figure a size 48 Roughwear A-2 will measure 52" in the chest, and probably 1/2" to inch longer in the body compared to your size 46. A size 50 may be a little on the big side for you, but you'll also be able to wear more than a T-shirt under it comfortably.

~Swing

JimmyD51

Chad,
I am 6' even and weigh 201 lbs. I have broad shoulders and not too much extra around the waist. I have a
ELC RW 1401 size 46 and it fit perfectly. My first ELC was a Star, size 46, and it was the most comfortable
jacket I have ever tried on. When I got the 1401, I thought I had made a mistake as it felt terrible. It was
not comfortable. The Star was brand new but the RW was only very slightly used. After reading many posts
on this forum, I 'hot water treated' the jacket. I wore it around for several hours when it was half dry and
then hung it up to dry completely. After wearing it now for about 6 months, it fits just like the Star. Two
completely different jackets, one comfortable out of the box, one not. Same end result...both great fitting
after break-in. If you plan to get to 200-210 lbs, I think a 50 would be too large.

JMO - Jim

cmjordan77

Hi guys
Finally got some photos of me in the jacket.
I think you all are correct, I think I need a 48.
I will post the photos and can you guys let me know what you think?
The jacket is too short for me even though it may not look like it.
Plus its darn tight.
Can you all let me know based on the photos I posted?
Thank you!
Chad

100_5784.jpg

100_5786.jpg

100_5787.jpg

100_5788.jpg

100_5789.jpg

Can you guys let me know if you think I should try a 46 in another Make? or a 48? or 1401 in a size 50.

I think I am leaning towards a size 48.

If its a size 48, I am back to the drawing boards. Dom and I were working out a deal buying his 1401 size 50.

I am leary that the 50 will swallow me whole. I think that the size 48 will do nicely. If you all think the same, can you guys help me find an EASTMAN size 48? I want to try and get it now, or else I will spend the money that I am getting for the Eastman I just sold. I help up sellign it until I thought I had found a jacket. I thought the size 50 may work, but now I am having second thoughts.
Pe

Roughwear

Hmm.... a size 48 might be better but could be a little short. A size 50 would be safer, but ELC sizes only run to a 48 in this jacket. Perhaps the answer is to buy a Good Wear where John will make a 1401-P that is just your size.

cmjordan77

Do you think the size 50 will be too big in the chest, shoulders and in the Arm sleeves?
I know it would fit just right in the Stomach area :)
Thanks

Hawkeye

Perhaps a size 48 extra long (adds 1 1/2 inches to standard size 48 torso and arms) or a size 50 long (adds 1 inch) would suit you better.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
... and it's just my opinion, but the 46 you have seems to be fine for sleeve length, and in the chest/shoulder area.

I would keep it, and try to lose a little weight, the jacket will then sit lower ... certainly a 50 would be too large.

cmjordan77

The problem is the jacket does fit, regardless of my weight it still fits me too short.
Maybe could ELC or someone else make a 46LONG or 48LONG?
I hate to say it, I am trying to lose weight, but I have not gotten there yet, so I dont want to rely on that. The other issue is I sold this jacket 2 days ago. I am still waiting for the guy to pay me, but I sold it in hopes of buying a guys 1401 ELC 50. He has an ELC size 50 1401, well he says its a size 50. Maybe ELC made a custom size 50. Not sure. I will have to email the guy. I was/am afraid that a 50 will be too big. I am 6' 225-230lbs. I wear a size 42 and size 44 in regular jackets. I dont understand why I have to go so high in these leather jackets. I am not sure now if I will by the size 50. I think I may be better off, just waiting again for a size 48. Will ELC make a LONG size jacket? I dont have enough $$ now, but I guess I could save $200 more dollars and buy a new one. I just wanted to save a few $$ and get a used one. THis way, I can take the other $200 and get an original WW2 Officers Cap. or some trousers to wear with my jacket.
Should I add any more photos? Will it help with a different view point?

Thank you all,

If anyone out there has a size 48 or knows where I can get a really nice used one, preferrably LONG? I missed a RESISSUE ELC Size 48 a week or so ago on the actual ELC Site. It was a reissue.
I really appreciate any and all help!
Chad

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
cmjordan77 said:
The problem is the jacket does fit, regardless of my weight it still fits me too short.

Yes, but with less weight it will sit lower ... I'm the same height as you, and I don't wear a Long.

If you want a Long, Eastman do make them, but good luck finding one second hand. John at GW will also make one longer for you, and this might be the best way to go ... with a stock ELC Long you might end up with piano accordian arms.

Weasel_Loader

I think the problem would be that any larger size will give you longer sleeves which won't work for you. I'm afraid your dealing with less than ideal "standard" measurements. The best possible fit would be from a custom fit jacket from Aero or Goodwear. More expensive than you'd like, but I think that's the reality. Good luck with whatever option you choose and look forward to updates on your findings. ;)

cmjordan77

Thanks guys,

So, I know I am getting a couple viewpoints on the ELC size 50.
Is that agreed upon that this is probably out?
Thats the only issue with mail order items, ya just dont know really until you try it on.
:(

I am now up to 5 items that I recently that I bought thinking the size would fit me and it was either too big or too small. I ended up getting the right size, but 2-3 shipping charges from the same vendor, and I end up paying $40-$50 more just to get the right size.
O well, one of these days I will get it right.
If anyone has any other thoughts, Please, let me know. I take every comment to heart and appreciate all the efforts to try and help me.

Thank you all

atkins

I'd say go for a size 50. This way you'll have it right on the mid section and extra arm length to make the famous accordeon sleeves which is very cool imho.

Atkins

You need a size 48 with a zipper length of 24"-25" only Aero or Good Wear will be able to accomidate you. I`m 5`11" and 230 lbs. and wear a size 48 with the above zipper length. They do pop up from time to time on ebay in the price range $450.-$600. in real nice condition. Eastman in size 50 will swim on you in and around your shoulders and chest and a 48 will be border line at your belt. The Eastman A-2 is cut for a serviceman from the 1940`s and you have a modern build, so that is why you are looking at a larger size in Wold War II jackets.

Dom

Good Wear Fan said:
You need a size 48 with a zipper length of 24"-25" only Aero or Good Wear will be able to accomidate you. I`m 5`11" and 230 lbs. and wear a size 48 with the above zipper length. They do pop up from time to time on ebay in the price range $450.-$600. in real nice condition. Eastman in size 50 will swim on you in and around your shoulders and chest and a 48 will be border line at your belt. The Eastman A-2 is cut for a serviceman from the 1940`s and you have a modern build, so that is why you are looking at a larger size in Wold War II jackets.

Chad,
I think this post hits the nail on the head. The 50 is going to put the shoulder seam to far down on your arm's....also Size 50 ELC's can be ordered through HPA for an extra fee@$100.00, thats where mine was ordered through.

Dom