• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me identify the model # of this jacket please...was my fathers from early 50's...also need to know how to measure for size...value?

Marc mndt

So, we're going to make you official assessor to field all one-hit requests for evaluating jackets over the Internet?

Have at it. But don't forget that we all get a cut of the proceeds from your new vocation.
Why so sour? Nobody is forcing you to do appraisals.

I'm not sure why I should share proceeds with anyone if I'm the one who's sharing knowledge / putting in the work.

Chandler

Wow...you are taking this to an unnecessary extreme...so sorry I bothered you all...just looking for a bit of innocent info but I see I've riled all the mommys-basement-dwellers who the threat of any invasion of their insular world makes them insane-er...ffs people...get some lives...I won't be back...ever...so you're all safe now
I didn't call anyone out specifically (except maybe our new expert assessor ;)), but yeah -- we've been used and abused for information in the past, but that isn't meant to paint everyone with the same brush.

However, your reaction (and childish insults) belies (confirms?) the suspicions many of us had.

Chandler

Why so sour? Nobody is forcing you to do appraisals.

I'm not sure why I should share proceeds with anyone if I'm the one who's sharing knowledge / putting in the work.
Dude, it's not just me -- as said, we've had "one hit wonders" milking us for help for a long time.

So, if you're using the website to solicit your "expertise," you shouldn't share in the resulting fortune? Maybe you need to start your own e-commerce site.

Marc mndt

Dude, it's not just me -- as said, we've had "one hit wonders" milking us for help for a long time.
IMG_6472.gif

Micawber

Wow...you are taking this to an unnecessary extreme...so sorry I bothered you all...just looking for a bit of innocent info but I see I've riled all the mommys-basement-dwellers who the threat of any invasion of their insular world makes them insane-er...ffs people...get some lives...I won't be back...ever...so you're all safe now

Ouch. It's a nice jacket, best of luck with whatever you decide to do with it and the rest of your inherited stuff.

leper-colony

ZuZu, is dat you?

917_k

Whilst posts freely asking for the expertise of members to value something in order to sell on can sometimes be a little tiresome, especially if its a garbage 90s mall jacket (certainty not the case here), there’s no need to be a dick in the responses. If it bothers you that much, why waste more of your time typing out a shitty response. I think someone pointed it out recently, if the tiny group of members here want to change the name to ‘mostly vintage military and occasional civilian jackets, p.s. we don’t do valuations’ then fine, but the site views and registrations dry up and the site dies.

P.s. to the original poster, that’s a cool jacket!

Pa12

:D:D

B-Man2

Just read thru this post a couple of times in its entirety and came to the same conclusion each time. I’ll share it with whoever’s interested. We tend to go thru this scenario every couple of months, where a new poster pops us and asks for information about this or that jacket and finally what’s it worth. Once they have their answers, most of them move on but on some occasions a few stick around and become contributing members here. But at least a couple times a year we end up divided into two groups ; those who don’t mind providing information and appraisals to the new poster and those who have grown tired of giving it all up, only to see the newbie drop out of sight never to be heard from again. More importantly, much of the time that this happens, it results in a division between a member or two on each side of the issue. Occasionally the end result is that the newbie moves on and in the aftermath of the conflict between the two groups, pro and con, we also wind up losing a member who gets pissed off at the other side of the issue and just says “screw it” and leaves the forum.
So the question becomes how do we resolve this problem, so that we keep everyone happy and don’t loose any members we have now.
We need to establish a policy to deal with this. So why not agree to let those who want to follow thru and answer all the questions and give appraisals do so. And let’s further agree that if you’re not in that group who wants to provide that service, that we simply ignore the posters questions and let the other group deal with them. No comments, no remarks, no negative anything. Having been around for a while I freely admit that it gets old seeing people drop in for a few posts , get what they want and then leave. But… I would rather keep my mouth shut and let those who decide to answer, do so , than to post anything negative that might offend another member and potentially be the cause of loosing a long time well established member and friend on this forum. So is there a way that we can establish a gentleman’s agreement or policy that fosters this type of action ?
How about your thoughts on this and maybe even some ideas that would help out .

Last edited:

Pa12

Just read thru this post a couple of times in its entirety and came to the same conclusion each time. I’ll share it with whoever’s interested. We tend to go thru this scenario every couple of months, where a new poster pops us and asks for information about this or that jacket and finally what’s it worth. Once they have their answers, most of them move on but on some occasions a few stick around and become contributing members here. But at least a couple times a year we end up divided into two groups ; those who don’t mind providing information and appraisals to the new poster and those who have grown tired of giving it all up, only to see the newbie drop out of sight never to be heard from again. More importantly, much of the time that this happens, it results in a division between a member or two on each side of the issue. Occasionally the end result is that the newbie moves and in the aftermath of the conflict between the two groups pro and con, we also wind up losing a member who gets pissed off at the other side of the issue and just says “screw it” and leaves the forum.
So the question becomes how do we resolve this problem, so that we keep everyone happy and don’t loose any members we have now.
We need to establish a policy to deal with this. So why not agree to let those who want to follow thru and answer all the wuestions and give appraisals do so. And let’s further agree that if you’re not in that group who wants to provide that service that we simply ignore the posters questions and let the other group deal with them. No comments, no remarks, no negative anything. Having been around for a while I freely admit that it gets old seeing people drop in for a few posts , get what they want and then leave. But… I would rather keep my mouth shut and let those who decide to answer, do so , than to post anything negative that might offend another member and potentially be the cause of loosing a long time well established member and friend on this forum. So is there a way that we can establish a gentleman’s agreement or policy that fosters this type of action ?
How about your thoughts on this and maybe even some ideas that would help out .
I agree 1000 percent. If no one is interested, don’t answer. They’ll stop asking. You can be sure this woman won’t have anything good to say about this forum. I myself joined in search of information. I happened to stay. While I’m not an expert on jackets , I readily spread my knowledge on other subjects to anyone who asks. That’s the most fun part of having knowledge. Passing it on. You are absolutely right Burt.