• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me identify the model # of this jacket please...was my fathers from early 50's...also need to know how to measure for size...value?

cs2444

1000003929.jpg
1000003930.jpg

Boyo

That’s worth a few bucks…. You won’t retire on the proceeds though..
you’ll need a soft measuring tape and measure the jacket as shown here, or just google/ YouTube how to measure a jacket.

B2CA4959-AACC-4DE5-A424-E28220FF4323.jpeg

entertainment

I think it is a Beck 999. They usually had belt loops. Perhaps they were removed on this jacket. I can see something in the photo that suggests stitching holes, but can't be sure. The zipper may have been replaced too. The jackets that I have see with that label had different pulls. I am not sure that the type of zipper on this jacket was made in the 1950s. But the label is correct for the fifties.

Chandler

Sounds to me like he's looking to sell, which is totally fine of course. But why not just say so.
Agreed.

However, we probably shouldn't *always* jump to this conclusion. Maybe they just want to know the value of something because it's not an item they're familiar with (maybe even for insurance).

But that said, I still don't think VLJ should set a precedence of evaluating items based on new members' digital photos -- we all have our opinions, but is anyone truly expert in evaluating the worth of these items?

I have a few different items of my father's that I'll probably never sell and my wife or estate will probably throw them in a landfill ('50s satin club jacket anyone?), so I don't really need to know their value, but I'm not everyone.

cs2444

In response to all of the above...thanks for the tips on how to measure for size and ideas on a value. If I offended anyone then I guess I misunderstood what these types of forums are for?. My father who raced Indian motorcycles in the 50s and 60s passed away in 2014 and my mom just died last fall. It has fallen to me to clean out 3 generations of collectable stuff which most of I have no idea about. I found this jacket buried in a closet with the size tag cut out so had no way to know the size. As for why I need a value if it was my father's...like I said I inherited 3 generations worth of stuff and one has to draw the line somewhere on what gets kept and what doesn't...I'm keeping his Harley...the jacket is way to small for me so I'll use the proceeds to get one that fits. I just thought since i have no experience at all with these vintage jackets this would be a good place to ask...maybe so...maybe not...Good evening all.

Marc mndt

But that said, I still don't think VLJ should set a precedence of evaluating items based on new members' digital photos -- we all have our opinions, but is anyone truly expert in evaluating the worth of these items?
I've bought and sold hundreds of vintage motorcycle jackets and I check all the online marketplaces on a daily basis. I think that gives me a pretty good idea about market value. I might go as far as to calling myself an expert lol.

I just thought since i have no experience at all with these vintage jackets this would be a good place to ask...maybe so...maybe not...Good evening all.
VLJ forum is mostly about military stuff. The Fedora Lounge is more about civilian jackets. If you want to know more about your jacket then check out this thread.

Marc mndt

Up until recently, we’ve told folks who made this type of query that we don’t do valuations. I certainly have, although I’ve backed off from answering them lately.
I don't mind tbh, as long as they're not price gauging, looking to scalp. Like this guy who bought a jacket for $250, asked TFL for info on his jacket which he then used to list it on eBay for $2.5k.

A couple of months ago a guy found a Buco J24L on his attic, he came to TFL to ask about model year and value. He said he was looking to sell because he needed the money to buy parts for his motorcycle. I'm now the happy owner of that jacket.

I'd say keep them coming lol. As long as they're honest about their intentions.

IMG_5694.jpeg

cs2444

I realize some folks can be jerks about stuff like this and do end up inflating prices after consulting you folks...I did search ebay which is where it will probably go on sale...prices are all over the map...$180 to 2500.00...so when you aren't sure about something you Google it...and this forum popped up...so now I have some insight and can plan a bit better....oh and just an fyi...I'm a female

Chandler

I've bought and sold hundreds of vintage motorcycle jackets and I check all the online marketplaces on a daily basis. I think that gives me a pretty good idea about market value. I might go as far as to calling myself an expert lol.
So, we're going to make you official assessor to field all one-hit requests for evaluating jackets over the Internet?

Have at it. But don't forget that we all get a cut of the proceeds from your new vocation.

cs2444

So, we're going to make you official assessor to field all one-hit requests for evaluating jackets over the Internet?

Have at it. But don't forget that we all get a cut of the proceeds from your new vocation.
Wow...you are taking this to an unnecessary extreme...so sorry I bothered you all...just looking for a bit of innocent info but I see I've riled all the mommys-basement-dwellers who the threat of any invasion of their insular world makes them insane-er...ffs people...get some lives...I won't be back...ever...so you're all safe now