• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me choose a vintage G-1 D or C

B-Man2

I ended up going with the Ralph Edwards :) spoke with the owner and the overall condition of the jacket looks pretty good! Everything is still original on it. All it will need is a little bit of conditioning probably and that's about it.
What size was it ?

Erwin

Good decision PilatusPilot, enjoy your new [old] G1!
bravo.gif

PilatusPilot

So, just received the jacket. Will be posting some pictures soon. Very happy with it actually. The condition is pretty good, definitely some wear in some spots but I think most of you will consider it more as patina. Wasteband is still original and has some life left in it, surprisingly still somewhat tight. The zipper needs some love, after reading the forum I understand I need to wash it with some alcohol first and then use some candle wax. The leather is supple, much more supple than my other original g1, doesn't feel like cardboard at all... I thought I'd have to buy some Pecards but I think I can skip that step for now. The only negative is the knits, they are not original and don't match the color of the wasteband quite well, they will do for now, but eventually when I'll replace the wasteband I'll get a matching set with the knits.

PilatusPilot

Very nice - yeah, that jacket's in good shape. A little wear around the zipper, but that's a given with the G-1 style.
Yeah it's not too bad, as long as it holds up for another few years. But in general the jacket sits very well, I'm very stoked that the leather is supple... Will be a great daily jacket.

PilatusPilot

Outstanding jacket!

Fit is spot on - color of leather and mouton is absolutely nice

Good choice
Yeah... I'm in love with the jacket. I think the very first original one I had made me scared of buying more because of its state, I thought they are all like this and started leaning more towards the repro market. Now with this one in had I understand it's a matter of patience. And for 220$ it's a bargain.

PilatusPilot

Also, I already have a Ralph Edwards from 64 in the same size, the only problem with that one is its sleeve being all cracked, so it's impossible to wear it or repair it, I showed it to Steve and he gave me the bad news. But... The rest of it is in excellent condition as well. So now I have "spare parts", maybe if it comes to this and the condition of my new jackets starts deteriorating then I could do a "franken-jacket". It will be the same maker and same contract... Just made out of 2 jackets. Or is this a bad idea?

ZuZu

You can't go wrong with an original 'C' or possibly a 'D' with mouton. But the 'C' has the cool ribrack waistband and the Ralph Edwards jackets always have great leather. IMO Brill Bros. and Imperial will never measure up because they don't come from the lineage of the great old jacket contractors. A Brill with mouton can be cool though. The great thong about these 60s Navy jackets is that you can wear them without compunction; they don't cost much and ones with a little wear have The Look.

BTW- am I wrong about the lineage of Brill or Imperial?