• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me choose a vintage G-1 D or C

PilatusPilot

Hello all,

I'm on the fence between 2 g-1s right now. One of them is a Brill Bros D series made in 71, the second is a Ralph Edwards C series probably a 64 model.

I did some research and I understand the Brill bros D models are hit or miss, most have stamped cowhide, synthetic fur, double plied wasteband. The one I'm looking at seems to check all of the above, except the leather, I think it's goat but not sure. The reason I like it is because it's in mint condition, almost not worn at all.

The Ralph Edwards on the other hand costs about the same, in generally good condition, good honey fur with good "patina" on it. My size which is rare. It's only gonna need a wasteband replacement probably because the current one looks pretty stretch out. The reason I have doubts is because it has the classic cardboard leather look... Looks quite stiff... I've been reading on the care and prevention side of the forum and my understanding is that its impossible to fully get rid of this cardboard old leather feel, no matter if you use cheap Vaseline or expensive Pecards.

So which one would you take based on those factors?

PilatusPilot

Got any pictures? Goatskin generally ages very well, so it could just be the way it was photographed. Unless the leather really is shot, I'd go with the Edwards.
Here's the D series, and I'll get the C series pictures when I can. But it's leather seems all good just old as most jackets.
Screenshot_20230522-120046~2.png
Screenshot_20230522-115719~3.png
Screenshot_20230522-115724~2.png

Pilot

If it fits… one of the nicest I have seen since long…no plastic collar…no holes from patching … all original… and v.g. price…. again my 01ct opinion.

Erwin

If it fits… one of the nicest I have seen since long…no plastic collar…no holes from patching … all original… and v.g. price…. again my 01ct opinion.
Nice one indeed, interesting if it can be sent outside of "Heimat" ;)

Erwin

THX a lot Pilot, gladly I don't have an issue with getting items listed as Heimat-only ;) but other forum users can be interested.

Brettafett

Oh yes, will look. Thanks

Edit: That 42 looks nice, but the measurements are strange.
50 cm pit to pit? 59 sleeves?

My 42s fit well and shoulders are between 47 and 48cm, pits 55-59, back and sleeves 63.5 to 65 - Couldn't wear smaller

Last edited:

Brettafett

Before she can ask anything, ask her which she prefers... Hopefully it aligns with the one that fits best.
She'll appreciate that you asked her opinion and all will be well.

Members online

Latest posts