• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help in ID'ng of the jackets being worn please

scwells

LongBeachUSNPatch.png

Ken at Aero Leather

and why do you insist on half belt when there is no half belt?

Julius

The jacket photographed in close up is a later (1960s) civvy jacket similar, but not the same jacket USN Jacket in the original post. As the OP pic must be before 1939, it's a sure thing that these USN jackets would have Half Belts

If any of the VLJ resident artists would like to accept a commision to paint the patch in post #43, we'd like one done to finish the repro.

Julius

In fact they are found on WWII gear as well. It's just that the US military don't have any previous mil.spec. on record. The earliest they have is 1971.

Ken at Aero Leather

so are we agreed they are a legitimate option?.........and I only have a small selection of materials and trimmings to chose from in my studio, I don't work in the factory these days, BTW the Conmar zipper I fitted is 1950s :)

Ken at Aero Leather

Any chance of getting one in a 46? Thanks.

I rather doubt it despite a few similar requests although we do have a full set of patterns http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1514
Maybe if we get a patch done and test the potential market on instagram????
There are several period techniques needed for an unlined cloth jacket that will be unfamiliar to the machinists at the factory and I'd need to be there to go through them.
As I probably only spend a couple of weeks a year at the factory it's unlikely I'd have the time when I'm there unless there is a substantial demand for the jacket

Ken at Aero Leather

I reckon I misjudged the size when I cut the pattern, it's full size bigger than my 40" Torso (Pic above) so it'll fit a 42" if anyone is interested?
If not it'll probably show up at the Aero sale day

B-Man2

Nice work Ken!
That’s a great skill to have to be able to look at a photo of a jacket and build it from scratch , with no pattern or jacket to go by .
Nicely done

Ken at Aero Leather

Nice work Ken!
That’s a great skill to have to be able to look at a photo of a jacket and build it from scratch , with no pattern or jacket to go by .
Nicely done

Thanks B-Man-2, but it's something I've been doing since I was 19, one picks up a lot of experience in that many years!
That said I still learn something new every day

B-Man2

Man !! That’s a beauty. I’d love to have a Defender 90 or a 110 but you just can’t get one in the US without giving up your first born child.
Micawber is the 90 and 110 guy , he’s had a few that were stunning .

Ken at Aero Leather

I've had no luck at all with Landrovers bar one really scabby old farmer's cast off. sailed through one MOT after another till the rust worm finally killed it off
Range Rovers on the other hand, as Old Blue Eyes said "I've had a few" all good bar the P38 but this one is off the radar, it's the best RR restoraion I've ever seen and 100% useable as an every day car, we got rid of our other cars the day we got it!