• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help !!! CockpitUsa Top Gun II jacket

EnricoBrun

Hi folks, I kindly ask for your feedback on these jackets mentioned in the title. I'm an Italian user who bought this jacket from a well-known French retailer and unfortunately it's already the second time I've received a jacket with evident defects (photo attached). For me it is not conceivable that jackets worth more than a thousand dollars are much worse packaging than Chinese jackets for a few tens of dollars. What do you think? What do you suggest me? I'm hating the much famous Cockpit Usa.
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Jacket replaced with this:

image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Capt

One of our family friends who lives in New York brought the same TG2 jacket back for me as the film was released here in the UK to save on import duties, he got through customs OK. It’s a fine looking and made jacket by the way but I look a right t*t in it.:eek:

The bottom of the zipper is the same as yours, everything else is fine. I could be completely wrong but it could be made that way for some attempt to look like some originals did.

Attachments

• 93A682FB-8BFE-4E7E-951A-2B467C8785FD.jpeg
    93A682FB-8BFE-4E7E-951A-2B467C8785FD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83

EnricoBrun

even for me all this gross imperfection is unacceptable, China knows how to pack garments at a quarter of the price without this crap! But the cockpit owner or agent tells me that those folds are normal and are part of the aging of the leather!

Capt

They could be right about the aging however, the stitching faults would annoy me. Attached is their G1 mil spec version of the same size my mate actually wore on the plane coming over as he didn’t have room. The stitching and quality of the jacket is perfect however, having now got a few AVI jackets are far superior for the price.

Attachments

• FD4AFF21-1A1C-44A2-9DFF-512A4CC238BF.jpeg
    FD4AFF21-1A1C-44A2-9DFF-512A4CC238BF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

ZuZu

Hi folks, I kindly ask for your feedback on these jackets mentioned in the title. I'm an Italian user who bought this jacket from a well-known French retailer and unfortunately it's already the second time I've received a jacket with evident defects (photo attached). For me it is not conceivable that jackets worth more than a thousand dollars are much worse packaging than Chinese jackets for a few tens of dollars. What do you think? What do you suggest me? I'm hating the much famous Cockpit Usa.View attachment 89367View attachment 89369

Jacket replaced with this:

View attachment 89371View attachment 89373
\

Cockpit USA makes crap, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you've already figured that out for yourself. Another flaw is the weird juncture of the waistband and leather at the bottom of the jacket. There shouldn't be a strip of non-biweave knitting. All they had to do is use their eyes and look at originals but instead they "improvised". Don't buy stuff from Avirex/Cockpit. You'll always be disappointed.

Kermit3D

I've never been interested in Cockpit USA. I don't think they are looking to make historically accurate jackets, but just to "look like...". I don't mind, but that's not what I'm looking for. We are a minority looking for ultra accurate jackets.
But if the quality isn't there, then it's a problem, especially at the price they sell their jackets for!
Looking at the pictures, I think it's sloppy work and they have a serious quality control problem.

EnricoBrun

Yeah, get your money back, and then either save about 2/3 of your purchase price and get either a five star or an AVI, or save a bit more money for Dave Sheeley, Good Wear, or (if you detest waits) Eastman.
but I'm looking for the reproduction of the Top Gun jacket! and Cockpit I read that it is the best and original.

I wonder how can it be that there are so many positive feedbacks on their site acclaiming their perfection and craftsmanship in every detail of their jackets!!! …. mhmmm mystery

ZuZu

but I'm looking for the reproduction of the Top Gun jacket! and Cockpit I read that it is the best and original.

I wonder how can it be that there are so many positive feedbacks on their site acclaiming their perfection and craftsmanship in every detail of their jackets!!! …. mhmmm mystery

Here you are on a site with the most interested (crazy) jacket nerds anywhere. Here you will get an honest review. The Cockpit site is going to be full of reviews by people who know nothing and are happy just to have an "official" jacket. Sorry Kermit3D for repeating what you just said...

mulceber

Yeah, you're not gonna get a learned opinion in the comments section on Cockpit USA's site. I don't think the contract that Cruise was wearing in the original has ever been identified, so you're on pretty solid ground to just buy a 55J14 from AVI and have it patched up. It'll be a better jacket, and cheaper too.

Last edited:

ZuZu

$tt.JPG

This actually looks pretty good in some ways. Great goatskin, pocket design and overall design too. Nice square shoulders showing they know some of the tricks of the tailoring trade which most repro makers don't. OK zipper.
Why the dumb quasi rib-rack waistband? Why the orange sheepskin instead of mouton collar? $970 is steep especially with all the stupid Avirex type touches but most of those could be removed. As far as the little sewing mistakes shown by the original poster those would be a deal breaker for a Cockpit jacket! On an original I'd like them!

ZuZu

Without the Day-Glo collar this would be OK looking_ $970? I don't know but OK! Definitely better IMO than an AVI or 5* but I don't know if it's twice as good!

$rrrt.JPG

Attachments

• $rr.JPG
    $rr.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 76

Brettafett

I would contact them and request a return/ refund.

Ive owned a few Cockpit jackets now, incl x4 G-1s (if you incl the Forrestal), also AVIs 55J15 and handful of originals.
Also tried on the TG Heroes a couple of times.
Heres my review of my recent 100 missions, essentially same jacket without the patches.

They do appear to be well-made, generally, and pretty solid jackets. The front panels aligned on all my jackets. Collar is a bit ott, patterns a bit odd with short body/ long sleeves.
Leather is grainy , but heavy compared to originals, ELC, AVI etc.
Worth the price. No.
I sold all of my Cockpit jackets, rather invested in originals and my AVIs, which I still intend to do some paint work on.
For me, the AVI's fit better, weight and skin thickness are closer to originals, the mouton fur is superb... Zippers and hardware are OK at this price point, and easily upgradeable.
Perfect jackets to patch, paint and not fuss over.
I'll replace an AVI, but will never buy a Cockpit jacket again.

AVI's 55J14 might not be worlds greatest 55J14 repro, but its damn nice for the price (copied off an original)... And very wearable! I wear my M-422as A LOT!
And Im comparing to the likes of Shelley, GW, ELC and the Japanese makers here.

As far as I'm aware, Cockpit USA is the only company licensed to reproduce the TG G-1 jacket, and the only legit company doing so.
As others have done, either find an original (lots of debate, but some believe the original TG G-1 to be a 55J14)... or buy an AVI (you can return/ exchange if doesn't fit) and you can get a set of patches, have them stitched on.

Tips with AVI. Go up one size from your chest size, two sizes if you happen to be a larger gentleman. The 55J15 has wider shoulders and a narrower torso.
If you unsure about sizing and fit, and are able, buy two. Return for refund the jacket that fits least best. Ive done this a couple of times and works a charm. No guess work and returns for exchanges.

Ed Rooney

What is the difference between a Top Gun I and a Top Gun II jacket? Both have those nonsensical patches.