• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help !!! CockpitUsa Top Gun II jacket

B-Man2

He parks his toosh in the cockpit on the weekends, wearing his GW, taking selfies he shares with Cruise, Quaid, Travolta and whomever else lol
p.s. I read Worf of Star Trek (Michael Dorn) owns and flies an F-86 Sabre. Bad ass.
I have to laugh because how many times have you heard the Hollywood elites tell us that they are just like us. So which one of you guys has your Spit or F-86 parked in your garage?;)

Last edited:

ES335

I think they both own one. I know Brad Pitt owns a spitfire

It must be nice. I found 5 million dollars in the couch cushion today, I think I’ll mosey on down to the airplane store and buy me a P-51. Or two.
In the early 50's as most Mustangs still in the US were surplused, Uncle Sam would sell you one with as little as ferry time for $1,250.

PilatusPilot

Very interesting read about cockpit usa I just had, I didn't know they were this bad. I knew they weren't anywhere close to good repros but... Didn't know it was all that bad... Although (bare with me) I do find their "aged" leather really nice. Like the on the "100 mission" jacket. It has some nice character out of the box (I find). I wonder how they archive this effect? Would anyone have an idea? Other than wearing the jacket for 20 years ;)

B-Man2

Very interesting read about cockpit usa I just had, I didn't know they were this bad. I knew they weren't anywhere close to good repros but... Didn't know it was all that bad... Although (bear with me) I do find their "aged" leather really nice. Like the on the "100 mission" jacket. It has some nice character out of the box (I find). I wonder how they archive this effect? Would anyone have an idea? Other than wearing the jacket for 20 years ;)
Light sanding of high point areas such as edges and elbow areas is one way .

B-Man2

Some very light sanding I'm assuming. They somehow make their leather all wrinkly and less "flat" I guess
Many people attempt to do this to give their jackets an “aged” look. Unfortunately most don’t do it properly and screw up the jacket .
They sand areas that don’t normally see a great deal of wear thereby making the jacket look weird. If you ever saw one that was done improperly it would stand out pretty quickly.

PilatusPilot

Many people attempt to do this to give their jackets an “aged” look. Unfortunately most don’t do it properly and screw up the jacket .
They sand areas that don’t normally see a great deal of wear thereby making the jacket look weird. If you ever saw one that was done improperly it would stand out pretty quickly.
In other words, I will not attempt this hahaha I'll just wear it.

B-Man2

Here’s an example . Look at the sanding areas. The entire length of the arms have wear ? The right shoulder is heavy worn but the left isn’t?
Dead give aways
The high points of the jacket are usually where the jacket picks up wear first.
CF58ABD1-5FBF-4939-8CCF-77A8D9D817A9.jpeg

PilatusPilot

Here’s an example . Look at the sanding areas. The entire length of the arms have wear ? The right shoulder is heavy worn but the left isn’t?
Dead give aways
The high points of the jacket are usually where the jacket picks up wear first. View attachment 93151
Yeah I've seen those, I always found that to look a little odd. I think they sand the leather even before the jacket is made so it ends up being pretty much random all over the place

B-Man2

Attempt to replicate a cycle spill?
Not sure what the thought was, but you’d have to hit the ground a lot and in several places and that still wouldn’t account for the full length of the arm wear on both arms on that jacket. Just my opinion.

Chandler

Not sure what the thought was, but you’d have to hit the ground a lot and in several places and that still wouldn’t account for the full length of the arm wear on both arms on that jacket. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I should have clarified *bad* attempt. ;)

herk115

I have not seen the movie, but my understanding is that they did not go forward with the new patches from the trailer. The movie apparently had the original patches.

Which were nonsensical.
Brother, you ain't BS-in'! I never did get why they adorned the G-1 in the original TG with patches that had little, if anything, to do with aviation. Probably just for looks, and with the assumption that the teenage girls and high school jocks who flocked to the theaters back then wouldn't notice.