• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone heard of Morgan Productions?

MorningDiamond

Hey y'all first time posting on the forum but have been stalking it for a while not sure if this is the right place to ask this.
I've been looking around for an A-2 jacket and I came across this one

The main thing that intrigues me about it is that the person says it's horsehide and that after doing some deep research using state of the art tech (Google) there was another post stating that this brand was possibly a pretty good repro that's made in japan. Any thoughts on it?

daw

That A2 doesn't look particularly special; styling is rather dull/featureless and the leather not spectacular from a distance.

Silver Surfer

many, many years ago, Morgan a-2s were offered on army-navy magazines, and by Garcia aviation [different name then] they were made in "ca" [actually Mexico] and were always on sale for under $100. they were oddly sized with overly long arms, and short bodies. they were made of hh? or moo?. the one in the pic looks to be made of goat....at least on my monitor. you can do better with 5* or upgrade to a more authentic a-2, if funds allow.

Pilot

many, many years ago, Morgan a-2s were offered on army-navy magazines, and by Garcia aviation [different name then] they were made in "ca" [actually Mexico] and were always on sale for under $100. they were oddly sized with overly long arms, and short bodies. they were made of hh? or moo?. the one in the pic looks to be made of goat....at least on my monitor. you can do better with 5* or upgrade to a more authentic a-2, if funds allow.
My long time friend James Garcia always had his Co in Edgewood in New Mexico ( a bit different from Mexico ). I visited him in 1997….
All others … yes!

MikeyB-17

It might be made in Japan, but in no way, shape or form is that a good repro. Many superb repro jackets are made in Japan-that is not one of them. Honestly, you can do far better, although admittedly, you would have to pay more.
I recall Bob Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle, put his name to an A-2 at one point. Was that the Garcia one? I don’t believe it was a particularly accurate repro.

Pilot

It might be made in Japan, but in no way, shape or form is that a good repro. Many superb repro jackets are made in Japan-that is not one of them. Honestly, you can do far better, although admittedly, you would have to pay more.
I recall Bob Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle, put his name to an A-2 at one point. Was that the Garcia one? I don’t believe it was a particularly accurate repro.
You are 100% correct, I suspect ( but thats only MHO) they are stitched together in China, India or Pakistan..no way Made in Japan… IMHO.

Silver Surfer

seems to be a misunderstanding here. I wrote that the Morgan a-2s were allegedly made in California as per the jacket label, not that Garcia aviation was [is] located in ca or Mexico. the consensus of aviation enthusiasts at the time [early-mid 1980s] was that the morgan a-2s were made in Mexico. however, I could be wrong, and who knows, perhaps the jackets were made in east bumfuck, betchawanna land. the catalog offered by Garcia aviation offered the mogan a-2s, as well as an eclectic collection of arm-navy surplus, including the occasional original wwll a--2 jacket. at or near the front of the catalog, in those days was a note of interest, requesting to purchase wwll naval ships clocks.

MorningDiamond

Wow okay thanks for the tip I'll steer clear of this one. What would be considered a good repro? I don't mind a few discrepancies here and there but I like the original 40s era fit a lot. Probably willing to shell out around 200-300 max and willing to buy second hand if need be.

Brettafett

Depending on your size, you might get lucky on a secondhand ELC or something... Check Ebay or state your requirements here.
Be aware of potential issues with secondhand jackets. Replacing knit, zippers, even cleaning etc can prove costly.

5* jackets and AVI LTHR (https://www.avileather.com/shop/) New jackets with relatively decent detailing and copied off originals... Both within your budget.
I've not seen a 5* myself, but many here have them. Dubow and Poughkeepsie looks good - just go with a jacket that they have copied off an original.
I own a number of AVI's jackets and am happy. Reviewed on here a few times.

Pilot

Peace Peace…
Garcia Aviation is a US based Co.
Morgan Jackets are surely not made in Japan…All others…You decide, your bucks…
I will not comment about anything..
My answer was about my ol‘ friend James Garcia…Morgan etc..FULL STOP!

ButteMT61

I would recommend after many years playing this game, that you either save up for a good repop, or buy a used good repop here or TFL (thefedoralounge.com).
Just trying to save you the pain...but up to you.
I also would have you look at Thurston Bros in Seattle, WA. Lots of items in stock and ready to own.

Scott

Micawber

Aye, Bob & Linda Morgan did associate the surname name with a few jackets back in the day.

MikeyB-17

Seems to be something strange going on with the jacket in the OP. I did a bit of digging, and found a thread from this forum started by Technonut. He saw a Morgan jacket on EBay, and contacted Bob Morgan’s wife to ask about it. It seems that the Bob Morgan jackets were made in Japan by Nakata Shoten, with similar labels to the OP jacket, but it looks like something horrible has been done to the leather on that one, or it’s been made by somebody else, because they didn’t look anything like that. That looks thin, flaky and like it’s been dragged through a hedge backwards. The Morgan A-2 looks like a pretty reasonable repro. Don’t want to Nick anyone’s photos, but it’s a completely different animal. Quick Google of ‘Bob Morgan A-2’ will reveal all.