• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW United Sheeplined

rob75IT

Hi Guys
Some days ago I received my United Sheeplined from John.
I have to say that I could not be more satisfied with one A-2.
Fit like sewed on me and it is very comfortable.
He used his Vermont Espresso HH, with green sewing points and a pristine WWII Talon zipper. The color of the leather is amazing, with all his tones. Moment by moment is releasing all his wrinkles and looks more vintage. I toke a couple of pic of A-2 and Dave cap to show you together the work of this 2 great handcraft-man

1-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

kkochheiser

Great leather isn't it! I received my Dubow 20960 in the same leather a few weeks ago and just love it.

Enjoy it.
Kent

TankBuster

Great looking jacket Roberto! I also have one in vermont espresso.
Excellent leather! Congrats on a real beauty!

A

Anonymous

Hi Roberto very nice indeed ,looks the part .Will you be putting any of your patches on it .Regards Jeff

Andrew

I have a GW United as well but in Bonanza steerhide. It's a great trim shape and I can understand your pleasure.

I take it you painted the serial on Roberto? How did you pick the number?

CBI

Great jacket!! I was talking with John last week and he mentioned he was doing this jacket - COOL!!!!!!

DiamondDave

While I know that I will incur the wrath of the 'non-believers', or be labeled another GW sycophant, I cannot help but marvel at the authenticity level that JC has now attained....IMHO!

Congrats on the jacket Roberto, looks beautiful!

DD

dujardin

bongiorno Roberto,

un bellezza... belloooooooooooooooo

real nice jacket,
good idea about the small lettering to personnalise your A2

enjoy her

with Dave's crusher, good team.

bye byeeeeeeeeeee

marcel

rob75IT

Thank you to everybody for the compliments.
This jacket is really great.
The serial number is taken from another A-2 you can see on the pg 39 of the book "Art of the F/J". I asked JC to put the numbers on and he did a really good work also with it.
You can find a Texas flag like the one on my jacket on "more silver wings.....". I've chosen that flag for personal reason.
I'm now thinking about putting a simple shield on the other arm. What do you guys think about it?

airfrogusmc

Great looking jacket and I love my Dubow JC made in Vermont Expresso...The color is a perfect match to Pauls original 27798.

shedonwanna

rob75IT said:
Thank you to everybody for the compliments.
You can find a Texas flag like the one on my jacket on "more silver wings.....". I've chosen that flag for personal reason.
I'm now thinking about putting a simple shield on the other arm. What do you guys think about it?

roberto,

Tom taught an Aeronautical Engineering class at Texas A&M. He would drive and sometimes fly up to College Station a couple times a week. This sleeve patch would make him proud - he liked Aggies!

slvtxam.jpg

dlmiller

A

Anonymous

Sure looks good.
As I'm very much an amateur and have only handled a few WW2 made jackets, I appreciate that JC's jackets look like originals but do they weight the same as originals or has he lined the jacket in lead to make it feel the same weight ? Like Rolex fakes ! ;)

The hide looks thinner but with the same wear as an original and the 2 Good Wears I had were definately light but they were early ones.

J_H

Dr H

I too have relatively little experience with WW2 originals save a couple of Perrys in russet goat, but I recently observed that the goat on my GW Doniger (a relatively recent example) was if anything marginally heavier (in terms of thickness) than the corresponding WW2 Perrys. I don't think that this was simply due to the degree of wear/flexibility of the older jackets, but more experienced members/collectors may be able to tell whether NOS goat jackets appear thicker than heavily worn examples (as the skin becomes more pliable)?

greyhound52

Dr H said:
I too have relatively little experience with WW2 originals save a couple of Perrys in russet goat, but I recently observed that the goat on my GW Doniger (a relatively recent example) was if anything marginally heavier (in terms of thickness) than the corresponding WW2 Perrys. I don't think that this was simply due to the degree of wear/flexibility of the older jackets, but more experienced members/collectors may be able to tell whether NOS goat jackets appear thicker than heavily worn examples (as the skin becomes more pliable)?

Owning two original Donigers there is a difference in the GS thickness. One has thin (probably 2.0-2.5 oz) GS while the other is most likely 3.0 oz. JC's GS on my Doniger nailed the mark on the thin GS original Doniger. I think the hide does become more pliable with wear but not by much. My original Doniger has about the same feel as the GW.

greyhound52

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Sure looks good.
As I'm very much an amateur and have only handled a few WW2 made jackets, I appreciate that JC's jackets look like originals but do they weight the same as originals or has he lined the jacket in lead to make it feel the same weight ? Like Rolex fakes ! ;)

The hide looks thinner but with the same wear as an original and the 2 Good Wears I had were definately light but they were early ones.

J_H

I have found that with originals the hide thickness is all over the place as one would expect. My Monarch is very thick probably 3-3.5 oz yet the no name 18246 is thin (more like the GW models). So, with the varying degrees of thickness in originals it is really hard to say a GW does not have the same weight as an original. Just my take on it.