• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW m-444 why the silence?

John Lever

I waited years and years for Eastman to make them.... now both JC and Gary have them available, bit like waiting for a bus here in the UK. Two always come at once after a long wait.
Having seen the leather samples and being able to make a choice from several combinations was a difficult but a pleasant problem as they were all excellent. The ultra vintage goatskin is very nice. Ian wrote his Doniger(?) to the pub recently, it looked amazing.
The wool is very short on the Turkish hides so this jacket will be more wearable than the heavier shearlings. The design is very sophisticated without the usual Biggles wool at the waist and cuffs so it looks less ostentatious than some other styles.

John Lever

Gary just tells me it's coming soon. I would think Autumn/Winter ?
Aero also have one in the works after their involvement in Monuments Men.

omarco

I'll keep an eye out. I'v got half a mind to sell my Real mccoy M444 and replace it with the Eastman.. I love my RM but it is a little short in the sleeve on me. The GW looks GREAT but to long a wait for me!

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
Since it's May 1st today, I got to thinking that it's been 1 year this month since Eastman's M-444 release was imminent. I'm guessing that this project got mothballed or dropped for other projects in the pipeline. A bit disappointing as the prototype looked good.

Noel

John Lever

I have ordered one from RMNZ, proven track record at making world class sheepskins. They even offer variants on fleece colour and other customisations. I very much like their beige wool version. They can also make B3 mixed batch jackets out of very nice soft skins.
Still trying to twist arms for a B1,surprised that no one here was interested !

havocpaul

Falcon_52 said:
John Lever said:
Since it's May 1st today, I got to thinking that it's been 1 year this month since Eastman's M-444 release was imminent. I'm guessing that this project got mothballed or dropped for other projects in the pipeline. A bit disappointing as the prototype looked good.

Noel

I agree, it does seem Eastman are putting all their energy into the motorcycle range which might be lucrative for them in the Far East but they do seem to be 'neglecting' the flight jacket range in preference of the biker stuff. Maybe the M-444 will make an Autumn (Fall) appearance, perhaps anyone going to the Duxford show in a couple of weeks can check out their stall and see if anything is in the pipeline.

havocpaul

John Lever said:
Gary recently told me that the jacket is due this Autumn.

We'll see if that comes about then, would expect them to have a test jacket on display at Duxford if they are aiming at an Autumn release. Since the launch of the motorcycle stuff the website has been very quiet on the flight jacket front...no re-issues/sale items, slow guest book and even their blog hasn't been updated for several months, only the revamped standard A2 s and a few massively expensive Buzz Rickson additions. Am still looking forward to seeing the M-444 appearing.

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
I have ordered one from RMNZ, proven track record at making world class sheepskins. They even offer variants on fleece colour and other customisations. I very much like their beige wool version. They can also make B3 mixed batch jackets out of very nice soft skins.
Still trying to twist arms for a B1,surprised that no one here was interested !
They definitely make fine jackets but the prices are difficult to come to grips with. Then again, everyone's prices are creeping up these days.

Your B-1 idea is good, John - you don't have to convince me that I need one. :) My wallet on the other hand isn't completely supportive of the idea.

In any event, it sounds like Eastman still has the M-444 jacket in the works; that's encouraging.

Noel

John Lever

RMNZ and GW are similar prices and both attract import duty to the UK. ELC may be cheaper but they are closing on the others. Re the B1 there has been no interest so I doubt it will float.

chamboid

The stitch construction is difficult as well, the way the seams are folded, especially on the sheepskin for strength, and that technique, or machine work hadn't been perfecte.