• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Cable Raincoat

Smithy

This quote of him can explain what I think gave his work this feel of originality, like the original machinists he was imperfect (but talented) and guided (learned) by a master, John Chapman.

Hope he is well and would consider a comeback.

D

This.

I never handled one of his jackets but the photos always suggested the quality of GW materials but with a more "rustic" construction (like most originals) than the laser finish of a standard GW.

I think it's a real shame he's not around and I don't think he deserved a lot of the shit that was flung at him.

Dany McDonald

Yes he did catch some intense flak here on this forum for a while, it could turn ugly at times...

He seemed to use different hides than JC or just had an incline for different type or finish. All his jacket I've seen had character and patina that I liked.

Smithy

Yeah, chalk that up to Ken. :rolleyes: I wish he’d give the business another try. I really should downsize my A-2 collection, but I’d get at least one more if DD came back.

The vitriol thrown at him was really out of line in many cases. Totally ugly stuff.

You can't blame him for shutting up shop. He was a very small producer so that kind of bad talking affected him far more than a larger maker who because of their volume can absorb some of that kind of negativity and ride through it.

There was also some real unsavoury glee around fora and social media when he announced he was stopping.

The whole thing was really nasty and some of the worst bitchiness I've seen directed at a maker.

bseal

Was that the spat that included the minutia of stitching on epaulettes and sundry other matters or do I have the wrong end of the Tersorium [the the stick with a sponge at one end that the Romans used to cleanse their nether regions]?

The tersoriums were... shared. That and other good info right here folks:

CBI

well, I had two of his jackets inadvertently got into it once pretty nastily. one of the jackets had a "quickly aging" finish of sorts where every little scratch. nick would leave a big mark and the jacket started to look overaged immediately and not realistically. maybe just an off bad hide. That said, excellent work and BTW, great hats. He lives just 2 hours from me but we never met.

Micawber

I grew up in one of the major areas of Roman settlement outside of Londinium so Romano Britain [and pre and post history] was a huge part of my education in younger years and certain words have stuck in the old grey matter. However, by the time I came along many centuries had passed and the area had thankfully dispensed with shared terrariums and adopted toilet paper.

Question is was the pages long thread from a few years ago that I hinted at earlier the one in question?

Juanito

I can't help but wonder how many jackets DD made -- and how many are out there.
The Poughkeepsie was one of his last "new" contracts and the one pictured is #114 so I would guess there were very few after that.

I suppose I could ask him if we really want to know.

Last edited:

Bewear88

It’s disappointing he has decided to continue to advertise it as a JC jacket. He should have gone back to the person he bought it off imho. Or changed it to a JC collab or similar. Anyway that’s eBay for you.

Chandler

The Poughkeepsie was one of his last "new" contracts and the one pictured is #114 so I would guess there were very few after that.

I suppose I could ask him if we really want to know.
I read in a past post by him that he made 125 jackets -- not sure if that was a solid last number for his output, but it was right after he announced DD was closing its doors.

Saint-ex

My RW 1401P by DD, received on February 3rd 2020, is the number 128.

IMG_2177.jpg

B-Man2

That would be me.. Its not resolved and I fear it never will be. It was an expensive lesson.. But I learned. Counting on karma.
You weren’t the person I was referring to so in that case that makes at least two here that he took money from and walked away .
Any others ???
This stuff really needs to be put out here so that people know this kind of thing happened. Why keep it in the dark ?