• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Bronco: stunning [pics added]

Weasel_Loader

The fit and all looks outstanding! Now feel like a goof and wear it around the house to break it in. Wife just looks at me funny when I do. :lol:

SuinBruin

Trust me, I've been wearing it as much as I can in our 90 degree plus weather. That's what AC is for, right?

Thanks all for the kind words. The jacket is made out of the new duller finish aniline russet HH. It's great stuff.

EmergencyIan

SuinBruin said:
Trust me, I've been wearing it as much as I can in our 90 degree plus weather. That's what AC is for, right?

Thanks all for the kind words. The jacket is made out of the new duller finish aniline russet HH. It's great stuff.

Matt, I couldn't tell in the pics if it was the aniline russet or seal horsehide. I think this new horsehide is even better and John says his skills keep improving, if that's possible. My Bronco was made six or seven days before yours so we both have Good Wears latest horsehide.

Maybe my wife will take some picturs of me in mine at some point and I'll post them.

By the way, regarding John Chapman's skills, can you tell an improvement in this latest A-2 over your 2008 Bronco?

- Ian

Grant

Couldn't ask for a better looking and fitting repro A-2. Have fun breaking it in.
It was finally cool enough in NYC tonight to breakout the Rough Wear.

SuinBruin

EmergencyIan said:
By the way, regarding John Chapman's skills, can you tell an improvement in this latest A-2 over your 2008 Bronco?
The new Bronco is different in some respects. John uses a slightly different pocket pattern, for instance. The label on the 2010 version is better. In 2008 he was still working on his thread and he didn't have an accurate OD available, so the 2008 model was made with brown thread. The knits are a little different (heavier and a little coarser on the 2010 model).

As for the build quality, the 2008 Bronco has some odd creasing on the collar and one of the epaulets sticks up a bit. Neither is a big issue, and you will see similar things (and worse) on originals, so it does not bother me in the least. I would say that John has gotten "better" as a craftsman, but that back in 2008 he was still making jackets at a very, very high level. No doubt in 2 years he will be even better. Such is the nature of craftsmanship and doing the same thing over and over. But his work is so good now (and was in 2008 as well) that the improvements are taking place at the margins. Unless you are incredibly picky and detail-oriented (even by A-2 repro enthusiasts) I don't think you would notice anything.

Disclaimer: I am FAR from a jacket expert and this stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. Lest there be any confusion, I love both my 2008 and 2010 GW Broncos. I hope to post some comparison shots in the near future....

SuinBruin

Yes, I asked John to use OD thread as was done on some Broncos. I love the subtle contrast. It just adds a little something to the jacket IMO....

philip.ed

I joined this forum purely due to my RAF interests and to be able to follow any topics on the Irvin jacket...
I never thought that after a couple of months I'd want to buy my own A2 jacket :lol:

edmond

how to contact john? planning to have one made i have a cable raincoat and 2 roughwears what contract should i go with goodwear? dubow? or something else? help guys!

can i dictate the sleeve length? and body length?

SuinBruin

What criteria do you have for an A-2? Is there a particular color that you like, or pocket shape, or zipper make? What about the color of the knits or thread? Do you prefer a jacket with or without a collar stand? Goatskin or horsehide? If you have any historical interest, do you prefer a prewar (through 1941), early war (1941-42), or mid-war (1942-43) contract?

If you can answer some of these questions you will begin to narrow the field of candidate patterns based on the descriptions set forth on the GW site. For instance, if you want horse, then that will eliminate Doniger. If you like collar stands, then the Bronco, Dubow 27798, and other patterns will be out. If you want, say, a Conmar zip, then the field will be even narrower. Etc.

For my own part, I preferred a jacket with beveled pocket corners, Crown zip, olive drab thread, no collar stand, in horsehide. Bronco and United Sheeplined both fit the bill, but I preferred the look of the Bronco and so went with that pattern.

You may also want to consider getting something "different" from the jackets you already have. If all of your jackets are russet, then think about getting one in seal. If you only have horsehide, give some thought to goat. (I have a GW goat and it is great -- the leather is fantastic and after wearing for a couple of years feels like a second skin.)

Just some food for thought....

cheers,
matt

Andrew

Marrk said:
CBI said:
order the Dubow 20690, a more modern/flattering fit yet still vintage.

"more flattering fit" meaning more tapered in the body perhaps??

I would say yes. I can't compare with original fit but the Dubow is perfect for me. I hate excess baggy fits in the chest, the middle or the sleeves so I guess you could call that tapered. I do have an original RW 27752 in the same size which is fuller in all areas. It works really well as a flight jacket over uniform and flight suit but not so for me today with t shirt and jeans.

Marrk

Andrew said:
Marrk said:
CBI said:
order the Dubow 20690, a more modern/flattering fit yet still vintage.

"more flattering fit" meaning more tapered in the body perhaps??

I would say yes. I can't compare with original fit but the Dubow is perfect for me. I hate excess baggy fits in the chest, the middle or the sleeves so I guess you could call that tapered. I do have an original RW 27752 in the same size which is fuller in all areas. It works really well as a flight jacket over uniform and flight suit but not so for me today with t shirt and jeans.

I think that answers my question. Thank you.

CBI

the Dubow is a nice trim fit, looks like a slight taper and has a natural shoulder shape. There are no excessive areas of leather. For example teh other Dubow contract is cut more roomy in the stomach which on some can add a few pounds visually. Its amazing how the "same" A-2 can look so different depending on which company made them. My favorite contracts are Aero, Werber and now Cable - all great fits for me as is the Doniger. A lot depends on your body shape as well.

As much as I love the styling of the Bronco, my experience is that the arms are angled down so much (or perhaps its something wiht the sleeve holes) that when you raise your arms up even mid-way, the entire jacket begins to rise. I can feel this happening mid-way on my arms between the shoulder and elbow on both an original I was able to wear for a few days (a trial period) and a high-end repro. This has been my experience so perhaps its just me .......... ;)