• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW B-6

A

Anonymous

Beautiful jacket, the hide and stitching look fantastic, not that I am an expert. The model is also more attractive.

Roughwear

767fo said:
I would really like to see John's M-444 and the B3.

Here are pictures of his B-3 test jacket.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/new_b3/

He proposes to make some changes and will be using a fleece that is more golden in colour. This is what he says:-
Changes:
* belts will have heavier, darker leather (russet with a darker suede side)
* tighter cuffs and maybe slightly snugger sleeves
* adjust the shape of the horsehide facing a bit (this design is too long on the sleeve - should end about 4 inches before the cuff)
* the pocket needs more material pinch-sewn in the two lower corners, which will make it more square at the bottom, without the angle you see on the left.

John Lever

I would prefer bigger sleeves !
Agree that the cuff is too slack and that the facings are slightly long. The collar could be bigger with thicker longer wool. Just my preference.

John Lever

I am sure it will be just right when all the test jacket tweaks have been made. If John's B-3 is as good as his A-2's then they will be very good.
My interest is in the m444.

raymos

wow now John is on a B3....When he gets it dialed in it will be amazing.....I think that his jacket is great for a first run coat......

tater

ausreenactor said:
CBI said:
all amazing stuff - John is the jacket star!

Yet the prices are ASTRO-nomical.. :(

$1500 is roughly $100/hour (assuming it takes a couple days to make a jacket). That's including materials, his assistant, and overhead, mind you. My plumber gets near that BEFORE materials. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

ausreenactor

tater said:
ausreenactor said:
CBI said:
all amazing stuff - John is the jacket star!

Yet the prices are ASTRO-nomical.. :(

$1500 is roughly $100/hour (assuming it takes a couple days to make a jacket). That's including materials, his assistant, and overhead, mind you. My plumber gets near that BEFORE materials. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

I understand the price increase completely. I was just putting my 'sad Panda' face on. There are three posts discussing the matter at present. With input from many. With 150 jackets on back order it was either a price increase or another halt to orders. It is a junction in the road scenario. This is a prudent for move for JC. It was this way or additional impact on his family life. The product will still attract buyers, but like many say, there shall be a shift in the dynamic of the GW customer. We might have to get onto Google translate to start looking for the continually improving GW jackets in Japan?

Those who recently moved GW jackets on eBay will be a little dismayed that the price for their next one just went up. In theory the buyers got the better of the deal without them knowing.. Accidental brilliance!

GW jackets will still be popping up here... I think that up to 18 months and beyond will be the telling time.

'Irregardless' JC will be like a Swan on the lake. Gliding and elegant above the water, and kicking like hell underneath!

Couchy

derleicaman

I have been anticipating this move on John's part for quite some time. Even after the last price increase at GW, the demand has continued unabated. The proof is in the huge (for a one man production unit) of over 150 jackets he has on backlog and the over one year wait again! I was a bit dismayed at the approximate 30% hike in prices, but I think it was the only reasonable move for John. John is working his butt off to make jackets, and he still must have some family time or time off as well as providing for his growing family. Raise prices, make fewer units and lower the stress level all makes sense. In its purest sense, this is the classic model of setting price levels by supply meeting demand. One other thing to consider is the risk of John burning himself out, becoming a slave to his own success. Hopefully, this all helps prevent this.

Lastly, look at the premium prices of some of the competition. RMNZ, The Few, etc. charge far in excess of the "old" GW prices and are still higher than John's new prices. And they still can't touch John's work for authenticity.

John could certainly expand production by hiring a trainee to help in cutting or sewing, but then it wouldn't be a true Good Wear product that we all know and love made by the hands of the master himself. Its just not the business model John has developed. This certainly puts me further away from a new GW made just for me and not a used one or test jacket path that I have purchased in the past. Maybe I'll just have to save longer or maybe sell off two jackets instead of one to fund a new GW.