• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great WW1 photo

John Lever

WW1Pilot.jpg

Grant

That's actually a photo of a 1920's US Mail pilot.
He was killed in an accident (as many early mail pilots were) not long after that photo was taken.
The only reason I know about him is that I used to work in an ad agency that had the US Mail account. One day they were cleaning out the archives and I noticed an original print of this image in the garbage dumpster. Needless to say I grabbed it and it's now framed and hanging in my office.

donsom

Absolutely love that double button leather jacket he's wearing underneath. Barnstormer type...???

I'm sure it would look fantastic on it's own...

Andrew

Yeah, that's a great shot. Imagine the mentality of the dufuss who threw that print out. Lucky find Grant.

I've always thought that unlike a lot of the shots of people from this time due to the quality of this particular photo you can actually read a lot into this blokes character and connect in a way as if it were taken recently. He does indeed look shagged.

zoomer

More about "Wild Bill" Hopson

Hopson reminds me of a young Richard Widmark playing one of his cowboy roles in the 50s. Clean-cut but dust-covered and hard-bitten as all hell.
You can imagine him talking, real deadpan, out of one side of his mouth, then lumbering off to slam down a flaskful of hootch and crash on a canvas cot.

WW1 makes sense. It has the heroism that flying the mails in the 20s lacks, and those of a military frame of mind will be more likely to pay their respects.
But the dash, danger, and romance are the same - just flying at all, thru any adversity man-made or god-given, in the wood and wire of the day...bless 'em all, I say, the kids you wouldn't send up in crates like those.