• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gran-gran dady's motorcycle jacket

duwan34

Hello,

I've recovered a nice picture of my gran-gran dady on its motorcycle (do you know whitch brand it is ?) and its leather jacket (very french style indeed). It's seems the picture have been taken something around 1907.

Pepe001.jpg

Pepe003.jpg

It will be my avatar of course :p

better duck

Re: Grand-grand dady motorcycle jacket'

Is it my imagination, or do you actually look like him (if your present avatar is you, that is).
Nice to have such a souvenir of someone down the family tree from so long ago!

greyhound52

That is so cool to have that. Can't help you with the motorcycle. You are lucky to have something like that. I got a pic of my granddad but he is just drinking a beer. Of course he is Irish so that is a natural pose.

Charlie

Nice picture, the motorcyle could be an early french "train".

Duwan, I've got great news for you : I have recover your ancestor's jacket :

DSCN7718.jpg

DSCN7722.jpg

I'm still searching the motorcycle...

All the best

Charles

PS This jacket I wear must be from the 1940-1950 decad : that's show one thing : Frenchmen are very conservative in design, and the all rest...

duwan34

Re: Gran-gran dady motorcycle jacket'

Peter, it's your imagination... heu, I think... :D

My gran-gran dady 60 years later : Adios the leather jacket.

Pepe004.jpg

zoomer

They should put his picture in the dictionary under savoir-faire*, 'cause man, he gots it! :cool:

*(literally "to know how to do it"...in English we call it the knack, the moves, confidence, aplomb, or as Vince Vaughn would put it, "You're so money baby!")

bseal

That looks a lil' bit like John Lever in his new Aero Rad Jacket.

duwan34

zoomer said:
They should put his picture in the dictionary under savoir-faire*, 'cause man, he gots it! :cool:

*(literally "to know how to do it"...in English we call it the knack, the moves, confidence, aplomb, or as Vince Vaughn would put it, "You're so money baby!")

It is normal, he holds its "to know how to do it" or "savoir-vivre" to its English blood (Jammes family) ;) . In that time he worked very often in England with my gran-gran mother. They spoke better English than me, I'm so sorry :oops: but I will make progress, promised.

Steve, Enfield is the motorcycle brand ? I don't recognize the logo ?
Here a intersting website with some jackets (often coats) pictures in situation :
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Period%20P ... Index2.htm

Charlie

Royal Enfield is a motorcycle manufacturer (and weapons also...)

Did you see that one Duwan, I think I reconize your jacket !

Norton-Inter-30-49(2).jpg

Cheers

duwan34

yesssss !!!

An other, very short :

The good wear :
Vincent-Girl.jpg

The bad wear :
RE-Cycar.jpg

zoomer

Ah, the really old days, when machines weren't so gendered.

fishmeok

Awesome pics guys- amazing how our forebears always seem to lead more interesting lives than we do.... the modern world is great, and I wouldn't want to live in any other period (would have died from asthma when I was little, for one thing) but there is definitely a sense of style and independence back then that I don't see much these days.

Charlie, I think you and I are going to be sending jackets back and forth a lot over the next couple years. That is a great classic semi-military design for a motorcycle jacket, with a hidden zipper to make it more windproof and a few minor modifications like that it would be an awesome touring jacket.

Cheers
Mark

zoomer

fishmeok said:
there is definitely a sense of style and independence back then that I don't see much these days.
It's true, we don't see it much. There really is no place for it in most people's lives. Today clothing plays different roles.

Most of us don't need functional clothing or have an understood dress code, as people did in the past. Clothing mostly shows what your self-image is, what kind of consumer you are, or what social group you identify with.

Charlie

fishmeok said:
Charlie, I think you and I are going to be sending jackets back and forth a lot over the next couple years.

With great pleasure Mark !

PS have you seen the imbelevibale jacket that wear Bogart in the other message I've posted ?

duwan34

zoomer said:
fishmeok said:
there is definitely a sense of style and independence back then that I don't see much these days.
It's true, we don't see it much. There really is no place for it in most people's lives. Today clothing plays different roles.

Most of us don't need functional clothing or have an understood dress code, as people did in the past. Clothing mostly shows what your self-image is, what kind of consumer you are, or what social group you identify with.

That's true. Good thought.

fishmeok

Zoomer- I use functional clothing in my job everyday (building hydraulic truck hybrids, before that fixing airplanes) but the problem is the uniform we have to wear is absolute garbage- 2 piece cotton/poly shirt and pants made as cheaply and generically as possible. It's uncomfortable, ugly (bright blue shirt and black pants!), and after spending most of my life wearing crap like this somewhat demeaning. We work in a corporate environment and it's like wearing a big sign that says "I'm not an engineer, ignore and/or patronize me". Not that business casual is much better, but it doesn't carry the demeaning stigma attached to being a blue-collar worker these days. Somehow we have become the great unwashed mass who must be patronized and pandered to but only on a superficial level. Don't even get me started on chief engineers who can't so much as install a bolt without screwing it up. There is a basic level of mechanical skill and understanding that is completely missing from modern engineering.

Sorry, got a little off track there. To summarize, modern work clothing sucks. :D
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Charlie said:
fishmeok said:
Charlie, I think you and I are going to be sending jackets back and forth a lot over the next couple years.

With great pleasure Mark !

PS have you seen the imbelevibale jacket that wear Bogart in the other message I've posted ?

I saw that- I think there is a wealth of material from the golden era that has not been touched yet- and that is exactly what I want to do. I have about 5 years worth of designs I want to experiment with backed up in my head... :geek:

Aero really has a good grip on this, I like what they do and the experimentation they are willing to try (perfect vacation: spend a week there as a trainee :D ). Too bad they won't make a properly proportioned A-2 though.
Cheers
Mark

jack aranda

Hi, Charlie and Mark:
First, Charlie: is that jacket your're wearing a modern model made in France today, as it clearly was in the days of duwan34's 'gran-gran dad' or is it a vintage you found? Incredible jacket!

Mark, I can't wait to see some of these classics revisited by you. This is going to be great fun to watch your repertoire (sp?) unforld.

And, last but not least, thank you duwan34 for sharing your pics. The only picture I have of my gran-gran dad is of the old gent on horseback at his ranch. And, no--he's not wearing a leather jacket.