• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got Shearling?

bazelot

I bought a ELC RW 17756 B3 from a forum member. THis B3 was cut up by the said forum member's irate wife and I took up the task of fixing it. WEll the jacket did not look like a jacket anymore when I got it. I started working on it and I was making tremendous progress until I realized a big chunk of the one of the panels of the back is missing.
THe jacket looks actually amazing and I will post pictures of what I have done so far. THe stitchings I made are actually quite strong and I am amazed at how thick the shearling is. The NOS Talon zipper was removed by the former owner and I haven't reinstaled it yet.

My question is does anyone have a piece of shearling for sale enough for a back panel?

bazelot

Pics of where I am at. It is hard to realize but when I got it it was almost impossible to put the jacket together. The whole shoulders were blown and the right side had extensive damage. The stitchings are amazingly strong.

008a4.jpg

008a1.jpg

008a8.jpg

008a6.jpg

008a5.jpg

767fo

"THis B3 was cut up by the said forum member's irate wife" :eek:

That's just wrong on all levels!!!

CHECK6

MAN!!!!! what a dangerous wife ,hopefully the jacket was the victim not the member.THAT COULD HAPPENS TO MOST OF US WE HAVE TO BE CAREFULL.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fab

Jason

I remember that incident, and the post-razor photos :shock:
Having said that... great job in making it look this good again!

John Lever

Just get some seal sheepskin and have a multi coloured jacket. The redskin material you have there is very old stock.

bazelot

It is far from completed but it is already far better than it originally was. I have no idea what happened to the back panel. I do have afew pieces but not the whole thing so i guess I will replace the whole panel. If no one has shearling for sale here I will try to source this localy. I did ask Gary and to fix it in house would cost $600, which would probably not be worth it for a very "odd looking" jacket as Gary put it :). THe pelt would be $150 shipped. I don't think I want to invest that much in the jacket right now, it's more of a project than a need to fix item so I will try to get it locally in one of our leather shops here.
Yup this woman did not go easy on the jacket, she probably had no idea I would be the one fixing it. Had she known thta she probably would not have done it :)

Peter Graham

What size is the patch you need Tom ? I have a scrap pair of flight pants that I would gladly cut a section from for you. It's not redskin though.

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
What size is the patch you need Tom ? I have a scrap pair of flight pants that I would gladly cut a section from for you. It's not redskin though.

Thanks Peter, I also have a pair of flight pants I could use but they are dark brown and I do not know if the shearling is very strong. I am mostly looking for a newer piece of shearling. THanks for the offer though. I may have located a leather store in SF thta sells shearling. I will see how much they want for the piece I want.

bazelot

Ok, so I am almost done with the project. I used shearling from a WWII pair of Navy pants and it is unusually strong for the age. I only need to finish one shoulder and put the zipper and I will be done. I wonder how it will withstand the test of wearing it but from what I can see it is strong throughout. I will post pics as soon as it is fully completed. A word of advise to anyone undertaking a project like this, never ever finish with the shoulders!!!! Aligning a shoulder properly can be a pain in the #$@@. Building a jacket is an art and I am not quite the artist. Hats off to you JC.