• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoodWear vs Eastman

saucerfiend

Probably just my luck, but, I've never had an Eastman jacket that I found satisfying. They either didn't fit right, had build defects, {meaning loose snaps, shabby knits or dry sheepskin}, or just poor patterns. Patterns are essential to me. Otherwise the look, no matter how nice the materials are, is purely generic.

Smithy

So why the obsession with made to measure that people have ?
Buy a 42 if you are a 42.....

John, I think the interest in made to measure and specifically John's work is that people are spending big money on repros and if they can get made to measure to ensure an optimal fit then so much the better. Also a lot of people aren't built like a 20-something depression era kid in the 1930s/40s so to get a good fit they need their jackets tweaked slightly. It's not just a case of throwing the right chest size at someone like a quartermaster did back in the day.

If they're paying top dollar then I can understand people wanting to get the best possible fit that they can, and often that's getting something which is made to measure.

ausreenactor

I just popped onto ELCs website for a looksee. Was astounded to see the price for an original maker A-2 is now £1299.99
Thats the same price as a goat GW, his HH A-2s being around $100 more. Being UK-based, I'd add another $100 postage

Bill Kelso's A-2s still set at £875 plus postage, which to me at least having owned jackets from almost everyone, would/ should be a no-brainer.
Platon's were at 450 Euro, if it fits, BIG win.... unfortunately no new orders.

Thank goodness for the likes of AVI and 5* for the curious, flight jacket newbie, toe-dipping, patch & painting wannabes....

This really is getting to be an expensive hobby!
Have you converted the £ to US$ lately.. The ELC will be a cheaper option than the GW.

Brettafett

I have and its all cringe... But I wont be getting another ELC A-2, Ive had so many and just never seem to be happy for long.
OK, never say never, but.. No plans.
I'd be up for another BK, probably the best A-2 for the money at the moment.... but no response to last two emails over the last few months, so...
Heart still set on a GW. Contract still undecided.