• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Red Tails A-2s

Stony

Does the studio still have the jackets? and what is the address? we need to get a team together a la Mission Impossible.

Good idea :!: We should get together and see if they'll sell them to us at a group rate. We can set up someone to handle the $$$ and be the P.O.C. for shipping, etc.

RCSignals

chitchat said:
Does the studio still have the jackets? and what is the address? we need to get a team together a la Mission Impossible.
Maybe you can combine it with 'Operation Western Costumes A-2'

A

Anonymous

RCSignals said:
chitchat said:
Maybe you can combine it with 'Operation Western Costumes A-2'
I had that dialed in, but no one wanted to risk it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saunders

deeb7 said:
rotenhahn said:
The B-10 is maybe an Eastman? Anyway- they all look great!

Probably The Real McCoy's/The Few in NZ ... they supplied 50 jackets, including two different B-10 contracts.

I may be getting off of the original topic too far here, so please excuse me if that's the case.

50 is a whole lot of jackets for this little film that had a tiny budget to spend on costumes, unless McCoy's did a trade deal as they did with "Band of Brothers." Do you have or does anyone else have a comprehensive list of all suppliers of clothing and gear for this film? Bob Bashaw of Vintage Parachutes said he made a lot of the rigs for the film and that they also used some original examples. I'm guessing every respectable maker and retailer of WWII clothing and gear had a piece of this project, as well as sellers of original artifacts. Bell's Aviation was probably the largest supplier of original gear and clothing, according to the owner.

Saunders

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
saunders said:
50 is a whole lot of jackets for this little film that had a tiny budget to spend on costumes, unless McCoy's did a trade deal as they did with "Band of Brothers."

I'm sure there was some sort of deal, they didn't pay retail, and the jackets were returned afterwards ... it sure kept McCoy's busy for a while.

Point is that ELC were just one of a number of suppliers.

saunders

deeb7 said:
saunders said:
50 is a whole lot of jackets for this little film that had a tiny budget to spend on costumes, unless McCoy's did a trade deal as they did with "Band of Brothers."

I'm sure there was some sort of deal, they didn't pay retail, and the jackets were returned afterwards ... it sure kept McCoy's busy for a while.

Point is that ELC were just one of a number of suppliers.

Thank you for the explanation.

I've spoken with a few more companies and/or individuals who helped supply the film. HPA informs me that the film purchase from them included the following Buzz Rickson items: RW B-10s, Tanker Jackets, RW B-15, B-9, C-2 sweater, sweatshirt, and many, many pairs of chinos.

I am acquainted with the guy who was in charge of approving all of the items (he's been involved with a lot of good films and he is usually quite good), so I need to try to contact him to see if he has a comprehensive list of all vendors. And there was a good deal of single-item buying from many sources, I'm told, which was an effort to maintain authenticity. It sounds as if the film went the extra mile to get things to look correctly, though it makes me wonder how they got some obvious things wrong I've seen in the trailer: Shirts in dark o. d. w/ neck ties in matching color, body and head armor not in use by 15th AF bomber crews at the time, etc.

Saunders

asiamiles

saunders said:
I've spoken with a few more companies and/or individuals who helped supply the film. HPA informs me that the film purchase from them included the following Buzz Rickson items: RW B-10s, Tanker Jackets, RW B-15, B-9, C-2 sweater, sweatshirt, and many, many pairs of chinos.
Surprised then that HPA and Buzz aren't advertising the fact on their websites. After all the brouhaha re. Eastman's Red Tails promotion and who made what, it now seems like just about every repro maker contributed to the film.