• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Goat and Horse

Cobblers161

Well folks here's my latest. The RW 27752 arrived this week and the Dubow a few months ago.

I'm delighted with both jackets, the Dubow being my first foray into the world of goat was at first a shock but having grown on me considerably is an out and out winner, the way goat drapes is just beautiful.

The RW is Johns new HH , it's just stunning. Although my experience of repro hides is in it's infancy compared to some of you gents I have to shoot from the hip and say it's bloody marvellous.

I definately have an A-2 sickness which I believe will be with me for pretty long time.

I'll apologise for looking a miserable bugger in most shots but I am a Yorkshireman.

_SWH2193.jpg

_SWH2199.jpg

_SWH2197.jpg

_SWH2201.jpg

_SWH2209.jpg

_SWH2189.jpg

_SWH2191.jpg

_SWH2205.jpg

_SWH2013.jpg

_SWH2042.jpg

_SWH2028.jpg

_SWH2034.jpg

_SWH5237.jpg

_SWH5236.jpg

Grant

For someone who's new to repro A-2's you couldn't ask for a better start. Both jacket look amazing.
Here's to many more years of the A-2 sickness!

Grant

p.s. the Buzz Rickson USN chambray shirt looks the part. Now all you need is an M-422a.

Cobblers161

Cheers Chaps, John has done some incredible work.

Grant I kinda knew you'd spot the BR.

Here's a few detail shots of the HH......

_SWH1659.jpg

_SWH1666.jpg

_SWH1668.jpg

_SWH1653.jpg

_SWH1629.jpg

_SWH1674.jpg

_SWH1640.jpg

_SWH1627.jpg

Andrew

Stop it Cobblers, you're re-infecting everyone else with these shots. I want both now too! The fits perfect and to look like this right away- just goes to show how good John's stuff is. Btw, the RW wasn't one of the sale jackets was it....

CBI

I TOLD you guys about the new horse .............................. ;)

I love my 21996.

Looks at these photos - HH right out of the box this way!!!!

Congrats!

sorry - been traveling, never did take pics.

PS - In re goat - I have a GW 27753 in seal brown goat - AMAZING

No other maker doing this type of work now - GO JOHN!!!!!!!!!

Cobblers161

Andrew, no it wasn't the one up for sale, someones bagged a nice jacket there tho.

The goat Dubow has started to age pretty well, it's more subtle that hh ageing but the surface coat is wearing off on the high edges of the creases and elbows etc... and is taking on board some real character. Once it's developed a little more I'll post some detail shots.

Andrew

Cobblers161 said:
Andrew, no it wasn't the one up for sale, someones bagged a nice jacket there tho.

The goat Dubow has started to age pretty well, it's more subtle that hh ageing but the surface coat is wearing off on the high edges of the creases and elbows etc... and is taking on board some real character. Once it's developed a little more I'll post some detail shots.

Ahaa,

The HH reminds me of the hides of Bevan's "The Few" jackets, possibly the same leather which appears very similar in pics.

And I thought the wear on his was from rolling around on a tarmac giving an Airbus an oil change.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
The HH reminds me of the hides of Bevan's "The Few" jackets, possibly the same leather which appears very similar in pics.

I think so too, Andrew. ;)

rich

Everyone else might need to raise their game ...... I'll bet the big manufacturers are glad there's only one John Chapman......... :)

A

Anonymous

Cant' see myself why ELC should be scared of a guy who can only make a jacket a day tops any more than BMW or Mercedes need fear Aston Martin.(and I'm talking production numbers here NOT quality).

The problem with John's success is that it only lengthens the time a customer has to wait for a jacket. At the moment ELC with all their production capacity, is making customers wait for up to 8 weeks. What is John's waiting time ?

It's a folly to confuse a few forum members with the rest of the world who want a good copy of an A-2. Then there's the customer service. John's a great guy but if every customer is as fussy as a lot of the ones he's had in the past who keep troubling him with changes over sizes or wanting to change to a different hide etc and expecting a fast e-mail response and complaining when they don't get one, well, a lot of people - the VAST majority in fact - are happy to 'settle' (and that's a term I don't myself hold with) with an Aero or ELC. At least we can always return them for a full refund.

John has a good niche market, that's all. And I hope it's success continues. But not all of us can or feel compelled to pay that price for a jacket. No matter how good some think it is. Especially if we have kids on whom the money would be better spent and not that much disposable income. Let's be honest, this hobby is a very selfish one and we only do it for ourselves and not our family members who get no benefit whatsoever !

J_H

Cobblers161

'Then there's the customer service. John's a great guy but if every customer is as fussy as a lot of the ones he's had in the past who keep troubling him with changes over sizes or wanting to change to a different hide etc and expecting a fast e-mail response and complaining when they don't get one, well, a lot of people - the VAST majority in fact - are happy to 'settle' (and that's a term I don't myself hold with) with an Aero or ELC'

You seem to draw some pretty harsh conclusions from a few posts on a forum, unless of course you are in constant contact with John in which case maybe you're the one holding him up?

Mind you there's always got to be one misery guts.

A

Anonymous

Cobblers161 said:
'Then there's the customer service. John's a great guy but if every customer is as fussy as a lot of the ones he's had in the past who keep troubling him with changes over sizes or wanting to change to a different hide etc and expecting a fast e-mail response and complaining when they don't get one, well, a lot of people - the VAST majority in fact - are happy to 'settle' (and that's a term I don't myself hold with) with an Aero or ELC'

You seem to draw some pretty harsh conclusions from a few posts on a forum, unless of course you are in constant contact with John in which case maybe you're the one holding him up?

Mind you there's always got to be one misery guts.

Unless it has hit a nerve with you personally, wind your neck in mate. Unless you'd care to tell us how many e-mails you sent John from time of interest to receipt would you ? :D I've known John a long time, long before you showed up. I'm a fan of his and the correspondance we have is non of your business. But if you look at all the rubbish posted on here by some overly anxious people you get a feel for what the poor guy has to put up with. But in the interests of making a living, he can't do much about that can he? Or he'll lose sales. I feel sorrry for him. I don't 'bother' John. He gets in touch with me. I don't post on here if I don't hear from him for a few months. I have faith in the guy. He's a top bloke.

The point of the post was that, good as he is, he can't rock the big guys can he ? Have you an opinion on that or not ? Have you an opinion on what it must be like to be constantly bombarded by people who've already made an order and then want to keep changing it whilst they sit on an ever-increasing waiting list because one man can't do everything . You name wasn't mentioned but you felt the need to comment on my remarks that were not directed at anyone in particular.....................

J_H

Cobblers161

Whoaaaa easy tiger, someones a little trigger happy.

I replied as such because you made pretty much the same remarks a few weeks ago when I was attempting to contact John, for reasons which were really none of 'your' business, that and the fact that your holier than thou attitude is a little annoying. Slightly imflammatory and unecessary imho.

As for the 'wind your neck in' comment I'll just ignore that.

As for affecting the sales of the likes of ELC and Aero then of course that won't happen, what he has done though is raise the bar in terms of quality and contract detailing therefore hopefully keeping them on their toes. Surely it should be in a business' nature to want to produce the best repro, it's whether or not they are willing to invest the time and effort to do it. In terms of cost ELC are only a couple of hundred pounds short of a Goodwear, that's not a great deal of difference and frankly for that extra outlay the value is in the details.