• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gone and done it again-G-1.

MikeyB-17

Never pay any attention to me when I say I'm not going to buy any more of a certain type of jacket. Stumbled across this and couldn't resist. Apparently the repairs are professionally done and don't sound too significant. Could probably have got it cheaper if I waited til it ended, but I wanted to nab it. This will be my third Irvin B. Foster-just hope it fits.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

MikeyB-17

dadgad said:
Which contract it is?

Don't know 'til it arrives-the seller has told me what the label says, and says it isn't worn, but what contract it is is unclear from what she tells me. It's a mouton collar, black label 1960's job with punched windflap, no mention of Bureau of Naval weapons. Will have to wait and see.

Jason

At that price, I wouldn't have waited either... good catch Mikey. Looks pretty typical of a 7823B to me.

Tim P

If a jacket has something that makes it different, it has a place in the collection..don't sweat it. If you were on yout 8th ELC star though for instance, none of them badged, that :( would be a struggle to justify a ninth.

The big thing about leather is that two identical jackets starting life together will be markedly different within a short time, either from badges or wear patterns or both. So each one becomes unique.

MikeyB-17

Cheers boys, yes I think I took advantage of a rather ropey listing. I agree Jason, looks like a B model. Tim, I was actually referring to the fact that I have owned and sold two previous Irvin B. Fosters (and a Ralph Edwards, and an L.W. Foster, and an RM M-422a) and have been seen here stating that I don't get on with Navy jackets and I'm not going to buy any more. So much for that one. :oops:

MikeyB-17

Peter Graham said:
Good catch Mike. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers Peter-it sure did! Came today. The poor dear who was selling it had no idea what she was dealing with-the 'professionally done repair' under the left pocket flap is the pen pocket! :lol: I looked and looked until it finally dawned on me. Well we were wrong boys, it's not a B model-it's a C! And it fits like a glove. Really nice goat, pretty thick with some fantastic grain, and very little damage except where the two patches have been removed-an oval one on the left and a rectangular one on the right. A few minor snags and two repaired rips in the rib-rack waistband, but on the whole pretty good. Lining untouched, fantastic mouton collar with no damage or wear whatsoever. Very good paperclip Conmar, working well-I put a leather puller on it which I had lying around. Also it has the extra seam on the back panel edge, which I believe only Irvin B. Foster C's had if my memory serves me correctly-I remember this coming up years ago on one of the old forums. Only downside is the cuffs, which have been replaced, and not very well-the old ones have been cut off, and the new ones sewn in inside the sleeve which makes for a constriction when taking it on and off-not the end of the World, one of these days I might send it to Aero for some new ones. Otherwise you can consider me well chuffed, especially for the money-I took a chance on a lousy listing and it paid off handsomely! Here's the pics.

DSCF3506.jpg

DSCF3504.jpg

DSCF3502.jpg

DSCF3499.jpg

DSCF3498.jpg

dadgad

7823C are great jackets indeed and Irvin B. Foster are much rarer than Ralph Edwards, great catch and at a bargain!
Hats off...

MikeyB-17

This one. The RE was a B if I recall, but for some reason this jacket suits me far better than the others I've had. It's by no means in the best condition, but this one just works for me. I think a lot of it may be the goatskin-this stuff actually looks like leather-often on 60's G-1's I've found it to have a papery look which I've not liked. It's also a lot darker which I prefer to the chocolate shade of some. Also I remember from years ago somebody mentioning the fabled Irvin B. C series 'extra seam', and I've been fascinated by it ever since, so I was delighted when this turned out to be one of those very jackets. I've emailed Amanda at Aero about some new cuffs, which it will be going off for next week.

fuhrmann

hi guys,long time lurker-had nothing to contribute since now,hence my first post.i recently started a part time job at the redwing store in hamburg,germany.four weeks ago there was a customer with an awesome vintage Star Sportswear M 422 in good condition visiting the store,as it was kinda crowdy i couldnt speak much to him.what i remember is that he bought it in the states for 150,-$.from the look i would guess it was eather goat or deer.but this is all speculative,as i hadnt my camera with me.
yesterday i succeeded,another customer,wearing an original G 1 of unreadable contract (at least for both of us),came in:

5192867720_202c2cbb7a_z.jpg

5192868078_eee574bfe9_z.jpg

5192269591_0f0dd08484_z.jpg

5192867360_448608eb4e_z.jpg

if the pics doesnt show,can someone please teach me,i am useless regarding computers,cheers!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fuhrmann said:
... four weeks ago there was a customer with an awesome vintage Star Sportswear M 422 in good condition visiting the store,as it was kinda crowdy i couldnt speak much to him.what i remember is that he bought it in the states for 150,-$.from the look i would guess it was eather goat or deer.but this is all speculative,as i hadnt my camera with me.

The Star Sportswear will be goat, and a little later than the M422 series ... perhaps a 55J14 G-1 if it had that vintage look.

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
I've emailed Amanda at Aero about some new cuffs, which it will be going off for next week.
Hope you're not in a hurry mate. I was chatting to her last week and she said the waiting time for jacket repairs is about 6 weeks which in Aero time may mean ten weeks ! Welcome to the forum
fuhrmann. Nice to have you aboard. You might not last long at that redwing store if you keep photographing the customers. :)