• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Back to Our Roots . ….. The USN Pritzker & Sons 55J14. Size 46.

mulceber

I'll add my 55J14 to the pile - made by L.W. Foster, purchased from @Nickb123, refurbished by @STEVE S.:
Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.16.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.18.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.19.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.20.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.22.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.22.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 5.23.32 PM.png

Nickb123

Really nice Jan and good job on fixing it up.
Did Steve ever comment on the state of the collar when you took it in?

mulceber

Really nice Jan and good job on fixing it up.
Did Steve ever comment on the state of the collar when you took it in?
Not the collar specifically, but he said that the jacket was subjected to the Navy's equivalent of a Depot Re-dye (dry-dock re-dye? You can tell how much I know about boats.) - witness the fact that the thread perfectly matches the color of the leather. He said popping the stitching to replace the zipper was a HUGE pain as a result, because the goopy dye made it harder to cut stitches without damaging the leather. So, the only part of this jacket that we know is original is the leather (and the stitching, of course). The zip and the liner have been replaced multiple times now, either the cuffs or the bottom knits (or both?) are definitely replacements, the label’s a replacement, and I suspect the mouton is too. This jacket's had a life. o_O

Nickb123

Not the collar specifically, but he said that the jacket was subjected to the Navy's equivalent of a Depot Re-dye (dry-dock re-dye? You can tell how much I know about boats.) - witness the fact that the thread perfectly matches the color of the leather. He said popping the stitching to replace the zipper was a HUGE pain as a result, because the goopy dye made it harder to cut stitches without damaging the leather. So, the only part of this jacket that we know is original is the leather (and the stitching, of course). The zip and the liner have been replaced multiple times now, either the cuffs or the bottom knits (or both?) are definitely replacements, the label’s a replacement, and I suspect the mouton is too. This jacket's had a life. o_O
That’s funny Jan, I was convinced the collar had been worked on or replaced prior.

mulceber

all original, including the coin that came with the jacket, and the red russet knits.
There was a time when such a post would bring a certain member out of the woodwork to sputter about spec data and how the color in those photos is *clearly* wrong. Good times! ;)

Beautiful 55J14, Vic.

Lorenzo_l

another one for the pile. 1951 first. star g-1 contract. all originalView attachment 143445View attachment 143447View attachment 143449View attachment 143451View attachment 143453View attachment 143443, including the coin that came with the jacket, and the red russet knits. unusual, and somewhat rare, but some early g-1s were fitted with the red russet knit elements. size is a generous size 40.

As far as I am concerned, that has got to be the most beautiful and I interesting of the G-1s posted on the forum, what with it being a Star Sportwear, the russet knits and of course being a rare 55J14. A gem!

Lorenzo_l

Another jacket boys.

100% Original Bogen AN 6552 size 40. Goat skin is amazing and strong and has kept its suppleness. You can still smell the chrome tanning... I could write a lot more about the details of this USN beauty.

View attachment 143461

Awesome jacket, Danny, all the more for it being a rather rare AN 6552. More and detailed pictures of it would be most welcome!

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle

One more:

RALPH EDWARDS before and after some mild resto (replaced the knitting)

The mouton is still "fluffy" oppose to most of my other jackets in comparable age

Was a purchase from a fellow forum-member

ezF76Z8.jpg

fxJwW5Z.jpg

J2i1OJv.jpg

hDGJwR4.jpg

I3lRbk8.jpg

After resto

XsCIgHS.jpg

or6vKTS.jpg