• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Back to Our Roots . ….. The USN Pritzker & Sons 55J14. Size 46.

B-Man2

Hey Guys
Continuing our “Getting Back to Our Roots” series of posts of original jackets, I thought I’d change gears a bit and post an original Korean War era USN Pritzker G-1 jacket. The Pritzker& Sons G-1 is a unique jacket because it was the manufactured and issued around the time of the Korean War. This particular jacket was restored by Dave Sheely a number of years ago and required some in depth restoration work to bring it back to its current condition. You've often seen me write that unless you have a jacket in hand, you can never tell how much restorative work a jacket will require to bring it back to an acceptable level or condition. I often use the analogy that it’s like stepping into the middle of a large dark puddle of water, you can never tell how deep that puddle is until you’re standing or swimming in the middle of it and then you’re committed. You can equate the depth of the water in this analogy to the amount of money it’s going to cost you to get the vintage jacket restored. In this particular case … the puddle was very deep !!!
The jacket needed a new aged mouton collar, a NOS blackened Conmar zipper, a repro Label, new period knits and finally new elastic straps under the lining to retract the vents back into place after wearing. Read all of the above as a big “Cha Ching !!”
But after all of that and almost a year of waiting, you can see the results of all of Dave’s efforts and some cash ;).
So .. that brings you up to speed on this particular jacket . Here’s the photos of the restored original Korean War Pritzker.
Cheers
IMG_2943.jpeg
IMG_2947.jpeg
IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg
IMG_2946.jpeg
IMG_2945.jpeg
IMG_2944.jpeg
IMG_2941.jpeg
IMG_2938.jpeg
IMG_2936.jpeg

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

lotsa work to get it in wearable condition, but well worth it. especially considering the difficulty sourcing a large size g-1. funny how m, and g-1 series jackets seem to be warmer and more comfy then a-2s.

Jpc

Hi guys ,
My project under restored , M-422A Gordon & Ferguson NXs 416 , new lining , zipper Talon, mouton collar :)
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 59

blackrat2

So I don’t have any original A-2s, however I can bring something to the Navy party…LW Foster amend #2
All original apart from the label, this came via JC and he added the label, the jacket is actually a 44 as per the pocket tag
The only problem I have is I find the mouton irritates me compared to an A-2
IMG_2660.jpeg
IMG_2659.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2657.jpeg
IMG_2656.jpeg
IMG_2655.jpeg
IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2653.jpeg
IMG_2652.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg

Ritchy

Salut les gars
Poursuivant notre série d'articles «Revenir à nos racines» sur les vestes originales, j'ai pensé changer un peu de vitesse et publier une veste originale USN Pritzker G-1 de l'époque de la guerre de Corée. La Pritzker&Sons G-1 est une veste unique car elle a été fabriquée et émise à l'époque de la guerre de Corée. Cette veste particulière a été restaurée par Dave Sheely il y a plusieurs années et a nécessité des travaux de restauration en profondeur pour la remettre dans son état actuel. Vous m'avez souvent vu écrire qu'à moins d'avoir une veste en main, vous ne pouvez jamais dire combien de travail de restauration une veste nécessitera pour la ramener à un niveau ou un état acceptable. J'utilise souvent l'analogie selon laquelle c'est comme entrer au milieu d'une grande flaque d'eau sombre, vous ne pouvez jamais dire quelle est la profondeur de cette flaque d'eau jusqu'à ce que vous soyez debout ou nagez au milieu et que vous vous y engageiez. Dans cette analogie, vous pouvez assimiler la profondeur de l'eau au montant qu'il vous en coûtera pour restaurer la veste vintage. Dans ce cas précis… la flaque était très profonde !!!
La veste avait besoin d'un nouveau col mouton vieilli, d'une fermeture éclair Conmar noircie NOS, d'une reproduction d'étiquette, de nouveaux tricots d'époque et enfin de nouvelles sangles élastiques sous la doublure pour rétracter les fentes d'aération en place après le port. Lisez tout ce qui précède comme un grand « Cha Ching !! »
Mais après tout cela et presque un an d'attente, vous pouvez voir les résultats de tous les efforts de Dave et un peu d'argent ;).
Alors… cela vous met au courant de cette veste en particulier. Voici les photos du Pritzker original de la guerre de Corée restauré.
Acclamations
View attachment 142283View attachment 142285View attachment 142287View attachment 142289View attachment 142291View attachment 142293View attachment 142295View attachment 142297View attachment 142299View attachment 142301
Amazing jacket Burt, congrats

CK90

So good B-Man, so so good. Always gets me just how incredibly grainy the hides used on some of these original USN jackets are. One big thing I underestimated - trying to restore the Bi-swing back, I'm sure it was all precise work for Dave but I'd imagine that was particularly tricky to get just right.

B-Man2

So good B-Man, so so good. Always gets me just how incredibly grainy the hides used on some of these original USN jackets are. One big thing I underestimated - trying to restore the Bi-swing back, I'm sure it was all precise work for Dave but I'd imagine that was particularly tricky to get just right.
Dave had to open the lining and replace the two or four (can’t remember how many on each side elastic straps that retract and close the vent. It’s time consuming and tedious work .

14AF SMSRet

This A. Pritzker & Sons 55J14 is my first original military leather jacket. The size tag is missing but I believe it is also a size 46 (measures 23 inches PTP). The leather is still fairly supple but has many worn spots; I can't make up my mind on whether to put Pecard dressing on it. There are also a few holes on the knits but my favorite part is the mouton collar. I've only wore it a few times since it's a few sizes too big for me.
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0868.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

This A. Pritzker & Sons 55J14 is my first original military leather jacket. The size tag is missing but I believe it is also a size 46 (measures 23 inches PTP). The leather is still fairly supple but has many worn spots; I can't make up my mind on whether to put Pecard dressing on it. There are also a few holes on the knits but my favorite part is the mouton collar. I've only wore it a few times since it's a few sizes too big for me.
View attachment 142439View attachment 142441
That’s a beautiful jacket and well worth giving it some TLC . The jacket is goatskin which is pretty durable. Here’s a previous post that might help you restore some of the worn spots on your jacket .

B-Man2

So I don’t have any original A-2s, however I can bring something to the Navy party…LW Foster amend #2
All original apart from the label, this came via JC and he added the label, the jacket is actually a 44 as per the pocket tag
The only problem I have is I find the mouton irritates me compared to an A-2
View attachment 142363View attachment 142365View attachment 142367View attachment 142369View attachment 142371View attachment 142373View attachment 142375View attachment 142377View attachment 142379View attachment 142381
John
You have a good looking original that is well worth cleaning it up a bit . Try some of these ideas