• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary's interview

chamboid

But your read the article to decide if it was 'tepid' which means you were interested. Which is an oxymoron.

Dr H

Interesting, used to scavenge antique shops/Camden for clothing a while back and lost touch as the traders seemed to desert the area.

I'll try Spitalfields one Thursday in the holidays.

chamboid

Yeah Camden has changed quite a bit recently, Spitalfields and Shoreditch have some great places, but it is the upper end of 'vintage and quite expensive, but the people have a love for it and know what the are dealing in.

johnwayne

Hey Ben,
nice article and please ignore stupid, crass responses like TOMG1401's - why bother?
Personally spent many hours at Spitalfields/Brick Lane having worked nearby for a few years, so have met those guys various times and I've recommended going there on this site various times too! Intersting to read Garys article too re original FLIP - they used to have warehouse just off Great Eastern Street before it all became the trendy area it is now, in addtion to the shop in Long Acre, Covent Garden!
Lost count of the number of times I've hunted the elusive mint orignal A2/G1 in my size in those places - I've also told the story here before of the SAT A2 I let escape at Spitalfields - how gutted was I then!!
Amazingly also that Gary was a printer like me and sold thru the Exchange and Mart - exactly where I got my first poor repro A2 (made for the the TV series 'We'll Meet Again' and I think available on DVD) and much of his reasoning for being where he is now, his love of the flying connected gear etc etc - crikey, I feel like we was separated at birth!!!
Brilliant too when I hear others are into the same things as me.
cheers
Wayne

stevetfire

A couple of interesting articles , and thanks Ben I enjoyed reading it, I've met Dave from ragtop a couple of times at events he's a good guy to chat too and always has a cool array of vintage gear .
" not interested in your tepid article". Wow how childish is that :lol: I must be on the wrong forum

havocpaul

Nice article (both are actually)...Gary's comments took me back, Exchange and Mart was an essential purchase back then to check out the militaria section. Saturday mornings 'under the arches' at Charing Cross was also a great way to find jackets, I think Gary sold from there at some point. Flip in Long Acre had vast ranges of all vintage clothing at good prices, always seemed to have a large selection of USN tour jackets as worn by Joe Strummer of The Clash and others. I remember they used to sell those early repro A-2's that had Mighty Eighth or Tantalizing Take Off art on the back, were they early Avirex? I had one before discovering Ken's wonderful Thrift Shop and original jackets! Sweet memories :) "Tepid articles"!? Wow where did that come from?? 'Nowt so queer as folk' as my old Gran would say!

Dr H

johnwayne said:
Hey Ben,
nice article and please ignore stupid, crass responses like TOMG1401's - why bother?
Personally spent many hours at Spitalfields/Brick Lane having worked nearby for a few years, so have met those guys various times and I've recommended going there on this site various times too! Intersting to read Garys article too re original FLIP - they used to have warehouse just off Great Eastern Street before it all became the trendy area it is now, in addtion to the shop in Long Acre, Covent Garden!
Lost count of the number of times I've hunted the elusive mint orignal A2/G1 in my size in those places - I've also told the story here before of the SAT A2 I let escape at Spitalfields - how gutted was I then!!
Amazingly also that Gary was a printer like me and sold thru the Exchange and Mart - exactly where I got my first poor repro A2 (made for the the TV series 'We'll Meet Again' and I think available on DVD) and much of his reasoning for being where he is now, his love of the flying connected gear etc etc - crikey, I feel like we was separated at birth!!!
Brilliant too when I hear others are into the same things as me.
cheers
Wayne

Wayne
That SAT wasn't the one in Gary's I suppose?
Cheers
Ian

chamboid

Thanks for the nice words. I don't mind criticism, it's how you learn, but just faceless, smarmy sniping was a surprise and disappointment on here.

I also didn't mean to detract from the article on Gary. very interesting story, and what a start up, from a shed to Eastman Leather, and I had no idea he had been going for so long, impressive stuff.

Rutger

I'm trying to read it, am I the only one to see the text for like 40% superimposed over the drawings of the background?

Persimmon

Rutger said:
I'm trying to read it, am I the only one to see the text for like 40% superimposed over the drawings of the background?
Had the same issue so right clicked and just highlighted the text to read it

Stony

Can't read the article as there are a lot of script and background artwork. Anyone know how to get rid of all that fluff?

Thanks
Stony

A

Anonymous

We tried finishing them here too, but you know what?
Nobody can do it better than the Italians. They know leathers like they know pasta.

Speaking of pasta, neither the waiter nor the chef in an Italian restaurant I visited in UK, know what pasta "al dente" that I ordered meant. You can imagine what happened next.

Peter Graham

PLATON said:
We tried finishing them here too, but you know what?
Nobody can do it better than the Italians. They know leathers like they know pasta.

Speaking of pasta, neither the waiter nor the chef in an Italian restaurant I visited in UK, know what pasta "al dente" that I ordered meant. You can imagine what happened next.
I have absolutely no idea what the above is about but all I can say is that both articles were interesting to me. Nothing earth shattering or controversial, just interesting. End of.