• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 question

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
Maybe someone knows for sure, but my understanding has been that use of cowhide for the G-1 ceased. I've never seen anything indicating when though.

The last published revision of the 7823E spec. was Amendment 3, 18 October 1984. The words ...

• Leather, Kidskin, or Goatskin Chrome Tanned.

were replaced by ...

• Leather, Cattlehide, Chrome Tanned for Gloves Garments and Equipage.

Further on it states ...

• The cattlehide leather may have a goatskin grain finish.

RCSignals

That is interesting. I have sen some Excelled jackets of this century, and they were goatskin.
In talking with Sgt Hack of USWings he stressed goatskin as being spec. They are a contractor for USCG and on call or special procurement contractor for USN. (even though USWings doesn't actually make their owin jackets)
Maybe what is actually used is just at the contractors discretion

gubbio

Where can one find the specifications for the different models? I looked on Fed Biz Ops but didn't find anything on G-1s for the last 365 days.

hacker

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
So they stopped using cowhide in 1971 ?

No ... the info John gives is correct, the 1969 date for the 7823E is just a little early.

I'm not to up on the later G-1's but I believe the E model started in early 1971. Some of the D models however were already using dynel instead of mouton.

Hacker

Atticus

I've always been puzzled by the current specs for G-1s. They seem to specify cattlehide as the type of leather to be used, but I've seen tons of gaotskin, E-series G-1s. I have a 1992 Cooper that is goatskin...and quite nice goatskin, actually.

As to the collars, every G-1 I've ever seen from mid 1969 foward had a dynal collar. All those from mid 1969 back were mouton. This is true regardless of maker. And, as has been stated before, the D-series G-1s went through 1971...though there was overlap. I think Brill was in its E-series in '71 while Star was still finishing its D-series contract.

AF

gubbio

Where can I find a list of specifications for the G-1, with years of manufacture? Someone in an earlier post quoted the following "from our expert," and I'd like to know who "our expert" is and where I can find this kind of information, or at least a list of specifications by year. Thanks.

Quote: The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present, and indicate that the Navy has chosen to use lesser materials at this point.The jackets were made with both goatskin and cowhide. Either were acceptable, but cowhide seems to have been less expensive, so it was use more extensively. The mouton can also been seen as real or synthetic. It appears that the supplies which a maker had were what determined the materials used, as some jackets are quite nice, and others are not so high in quality ...

Atticus

gubbio said:
Where can I find a list of specifications for the G-1, with years of manufacture? Someone in an earlier post quoted the following "from our expert," and I'd like to know who "our expert" is and where I can find this kind of information, or at least a list of specifications by year. Thanks.

Quote: The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present..
No...as noted elsewhere on this thread, there were no 1969 or 1970 E-series G-1s. They began in 1971. My 1970 Brill is a D-series jacket as was the 1970 Brill "over run" jacket I bought for my friend. But 1971 Brills were E-series. The 1971 Star that I sold to HackerF15E is a D-series jacket. My 1972 Star is a black-tag E-series jacket.

Here's some tag photos.

7b06_12.jpg

JackiesTesters165.jpg

Dscn0190.jpg

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
gubbio said:

Quote: The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present, and indicate that the Navy has chosen to use lesser materials at this point.The jackets were made with both goatskin and cowhide. Either were acceptable, but cowhide seems to have been less expensive, so it was use more extensively. The mouton can also been seen as real or synthetic. It appears that the supplies which a maker had were what determined the materials used, as some jackets are quite nice, and others are not so high in quality ...

I guess I'm someone in an earlier post ... "our expert" is John Chapman, aka buzzthetower, or Good Wear Leather. The quote is from his CD, and as I pointed out, the 1969 year for the 7823E series is a little early. You can buy John's CD here ...

http://home.comcast.net/~jchapman2004/ebay.html

If you want a list of specs. and contracts in sequence, they are published in the book Full Gear, it is available here ...

http://www.fullgear.net/index

gubbio

Thanks, David. Sorry I didn't identify you by name when I referred to "someone in an earlier post."

Luis

gubbio

If it hasn't been mentioned before, the best online resource for the G-1 jacket belongs to our member Roger Moore
http://moorecustom.com/jackets/

Very interesting website. Great info. Thanks for the referral. Not sure how often the website is updated -- the section on patches, for example, appears not to have been updated since 2008.