• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 question

gubbio

Hi all,

I recently came across a Star Sportswear G-1 flight jacket with a zipper that I have never seen before. It appears to be original to the jacket, but I may be wrong. I was wondering if anyone here could identify this zipper, or zipper pull, and suggest whether it is military specification.

Thanks in advance!

ee56bf4b.jpg

230fac88.jpg

a4d26072.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I would say that the zipper is original to the jacket, but the slider has been replaced ... and it looks like the replacement slider was cobbled together from two, or more.

MikeyB-17

I dunno-the colour of the zip brass is the same as that of the teeth. I reckon the zip's original, but as to maker, ya got me. It's not one of the PX jackets is it? Is there a USN on the windflap?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
I dunno-the colour of the zip brass is the same as that of the teeth. I reckon the zip's original, but as to maker, ya got me.

I looked again, the slider body may well be the original, but to me it still looks to have been modified with the addition of other parts.

watchmanjimg

There are numerous other examples of this type zipper on G-1s as well as M-65s beginning in 1969. I believe the maker is Rapid but I'm not certain.

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
There are numerous other examples of this type zipper on G-1s as well as M-65s beginning in 1969. I believe the maker is Rapid but I'm not certain.
Yep, I've got something at home with a zipper like that, but I can't remember if its a 1970 So Sew M-65, or a 1976 Imperial Leather G-1.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
So it's all original ... :oops:

It must be the way I'm looking at the picture, it appears lop-sided to me.

Atticus

I found two of those zips in my closet tonite. One on a 1970 M-65 and another on a 1968, Aggressor Green M-51. But both zippers were silver colored.

AF

gubbio

Thanks for all the comments. I may be looking at it wrong, but the zipper appears to be silver-colored underneath a brass wash, because the teeth have worn a shallow silver-colored groove in the slider. The slider is not magnetic.

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I found two of those zips in my closet tonite. One on a 1970 M-65 and another on a 1968, Aggressor Green M-51. But both zippers were silver colored.

AF

Geoff, I should have been more specific in my earlier post. One of my '69 M-65s has this type zipper in silver color as well.

A

Anonymous

should be original.

I guess it's Cherval, could be wrong

I have seen this zip on M-65 jackets.

If you cant live with it can replace it with Talon, I think I have one somewhere that I could sell.

watchmanjimg

PLATON said:
should be original.

I guess it's Cherval, could be wrong

I have seen this zip on M-65 jackets.

If you cant live with it can replace it with Talon, I think I have one somewhere that I could sell.

I know Serval zippers were used in several 1976 contracts, but in my experience they're usually marked. I have an M-65 with the same type zipper as the G-1 mentioned in this thread, but in white metal. I'll have to dig it out and see if the hood zipper is marked.

gubbio

By the way, does anyone know where I can find out when the specifications for G-1s stopped requiring goatskin and real mouton (these probably happened at different times) and called for cow leather and synthetic mouton instead? Is there a list of G-1 specifications out there somewhere with this and other information? Thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
gubbio said:
By the way, does anyone know where I can find out when the specifications for G-1s stopped requiring goatskin and real mouton (these probably happened at different times) and called for cow leather and synthetic mouton instead?

This from our expert, though the 7823D series ran through to 1971 ...

• The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present, and indicate that the Navy has chosen to use lesser materials at this point.The jackets were made with both goatskin and cowhide. Either were acceptable, but cowhide seems to have been less expensive, so it was use more extensively. The mouton can also been seen as real or synthetic. It appears that the supplies which a maker had were what determined the materials used, as some jackets are quite nice, and others are not so high in quality ...

RCSignals

OK, so then sometime during that contract cowhide ws used for some jackets by some manufacturers. Is it known exactly when the use of cowhide ended?

RCSignals

Maybe someone knows for sure, but my understanding has been that use of cowhide for the G-1 ceased. I've never seen anything indicating when though.