• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Footlocker hobby build

Edward

So I've pretty much exhausted my 1940s AAF vintage office and have pretty much run out of items to hunt and gather. I even have vintage paperclips for crying out loud :D

So, I'm thinking my next hunt and gather hobby may be to put together a footlocker. personalize it to my liking. I actually have some items to put in it already (army undershirt, socks, boxers and of course pinups! :p
I perused the various forums to look at other footlocker builds and it looks like fun and a cool thing to display!
what say you? anyone here put together a footlocker for the fun of it?

I have scoured the usual sources for a footlocker that is complete with inner tray, not named and not damaged and not priced ridiculously high... turns out thats the hard part.. I have narrowed it down to a decent one that I may pull the trigger on. I know my posts are no longer about A-2 or any leather jackets anymore but surprisingly the ephemera part is all I gots left boys. :)

show 'em if'n ya gots 'em!

B-Man2

Sounds like a great project Ed.
If I see anything I’ll get back to you.
Cheers

Edward

okay I pulled the trigger and this is what will be here Friday... its "named" so I will need to do some research. guy claims he was in the USAAF but so far I can't find info. Anyhoot its in really good shape and has the usually missing inner tray which was a requirement for me. the exterior is in great shape save one leather strap broke but its not that noticeable. no key for the lock and the brass trunk lock is a bit corroded but looks fine.
it has the option area for a padlock but I will display it open anyway.
I found a company that offers a WWII "Officers" Footlocker restoration Kit and to my surprise the hardware they offer is an exact match for the period hardware on this very trunk! so if I wish I could replace the leather straps and the corroded front lock and have a key. will consider it.
for now here is what I bought for $180 shipped. it'll be a lot of fun customizing it and filling it up! Already have a few items for it... I believe the name is Lt. H.(or M?) J. Finder O-2072135

Footlocker1.jpg
footlocker2.jpg
footlocker3.jpg
footlocker4.jpg
footlocker5.jpg
footlocker6.jpg
footlocker7.jpg
footlocker8.jpg
footlocker9.jpg
footlocker10.jpg

Edward

here are a few items I have already for the foot locker

this toothpowder brand was second only to Colgate back in the 1940s and was pretty much a standard item. this one a NOS from a package shipment to an AAF base in Florida in 1945 never issued :D
kolynos.jpg

Reproduction Toothbrush
TBR.jpg

authentic WWII army issue general purpose soap in the original package
soap.jpg

vintage era safety razor. this one may be a post war issue as most WWII original boxes had the year date on them but essentially identical in every other way:
simplexsafetyrazor.jpg

NOS shaving brush of the era
Rubberset.jpg

I also have WWII era socks, army issue boxer shorts and army tank top to add in. now I need to look for a few other items like shoe polish and shoe brush, towels, sewing kit... dirty book :p

Edward

okay... this'll do! I just bought this kit set from the WWII era. its only missing the polishing cloth but I suppose its probably very much like eyeglasses cloth....
dyanshinekit.jpg

dyanshinebox.jpg
dyanshinejar.jpg

I didn't buy this display sign ($300!) but thought I'd show the image in for good measure :)

DyanShine.jpg

B-Man2

I think this is a really cool project Ed.
The detailed period items that you’ve found are incredible . A WWII uniform and some Civi period pieces of clothing or shoes will top it off nicely .
Cheers

Nnatalie

Sounds like a fascinating project! Be sure to post pics as it progresses!

And this just reminded me that I’m pretty sure my maternal grandpa’s footlocker (USAAF, served on a transport plane in North Africa in 1944-5) is in my dad’s basement. I should go over there soon and see what state it’s in. No room for it in my current apartment though...

STEVE S.

Really cool! I have a footlocker that belonged to a Naval aviator that I have seriously thought about doing something similar with.

Nnatalie

This is all some cool finds and who knows what might be in Natalies grandfathers locker. You should consider taking some photos of the opening and the contents of the locker Nat
Will do! I suspect it’s probably just my parents’ clothes/blankets, if anything, but you never know!

Edward

That's awesome! Great work..

Seeing Memphis Belle in my head. Sitting around the bed before the big dance...
funny you should say that as thats exactly the scene I had in my head when I started thinking about doing this yesterday... in fact its in the DVD player right now... :D
"Love letters.
- Wife or girlfriend?
- Read them aloud.
Girlfriend.
Pocket knife. Photos.
Any clean socks?
- Dirty book!
- I'll take it.
Hey, look!
- Becker forgot his good luck charm.
- Poor slob.
Should have worn it around his neck.
He'd never forget it.
- Rubbers.
- Dibs!
Virge the Virgin won't need these. Swear
you'll tell me if you lose your cherry.
I'll send it to you COD.
- Clay, give me. Becker owed me $10.
- Don't take his money.

Clam up, mug-face. He owed me!"

Edward

just waiting for my NOS 1944 Barbasol shaving cream in the box to show up and find a sewing kit then I'll feel like my footlocker is as complete as I want it short of the all important socks... :p a few other miscellaneous items to be on the lookout for otherwise I think it looks pretty good.
Talk about living in the moment! I had so much fun putting this together and customizing it that time got away from me tonight!

FootlockerTrayPinups8716.JPG

FootLockertraypinups8715.JPG

If you are going to do it right then really commit and use real vintage pinup pages and real vintage cellulose tape to apply them to the interior! more authentic that way! :D

Added this personal touch using a real vintage waterslide decal...

FootlockerDecal8708.JPG

FootlockerContents8712.JPG

scored an air corps soap dish and the NOS vintage army issue soap fits perfectly.

AirCorpsSoapDish8699.JPG

Edward

I Acquired a NOS 1944 Pack of Unopened Wrigley’s ORBIT Chewing Gum still sealed with 5 stick pack of ORBIT “Peppermint” chewing gum for my footlocker. Not as cool but still period.

World War II government-ordered rationing forced Wrigley to stop much of its normal production so the company temporarily introduced “Orbit,” an inferior product but Wrigley marketed Orbit as “a good wartime chewing gum”

the company only had enough good ingredients to supply Juicy Fruit and Doublemint to soldiers. Civilians had to settle for a lower-quality substitute.
Soon Wrigley found it impossible to produce its premium brands even for the military. For the remainder of the war, the company produced only Orbit but continued to advertise its regular brands. In billboard and print advertisements, the company featured an empty Wrigley's Spearmint wrapper with the caption, "Remember this wrapper!" The campaign was so successful that when the war ended and the brands were reintroduced (and production of Orbit ceased), pent up demand caused consumption of Wrigley's Spearmint, Doublemint, and Juicy Fruit to exceed prewar levels.

il_794xN.1890393320_23oc.jpg
il_794xN.1890393372_ggoe.jpg
il_794xN.1937917511_a4gc.jpg
il_794xN.1937917607_2hhg.jpg
il_794xN.1937917715_cy2x.jpg
il_1588xN.1890394160_jd1e.jpg

This is apparently what is inside but I won't know because I don't intend to open my 5 pack! :D
OrbitRare-advertising-chewing-GUM-STICK-with-wrapper.jpg

tjoenn

just waiting for my NOS 1944 Barbasol shaving cream in the box to show up and find a sewing kit then I'll feel like my footlocker is as complete as I want it short of the all important socks... :p a few other miscellaneous items to be on the lookout for otherwise I think it looks pretty good.
Talk about living in the moment! I had so much fun putting this together and customizing it that time got away from me tonight!

View attachment 33511
View attachment 33512
If you are going to do it right then really commit and use real vintage pinup pages and real vintage cellulose tape to apply them to the interior! more authentic that way! :D

Added this personal touch using a real vintage waterslide decal...

View attachment 33513

View attachment 33514

scored an air corps soap dish and the NOS vintage army issue soap fits perfectly.

View attachment 33515
That is amazing - beyond cool!!