• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Footlocker hobby build

Edward

That is amazing - beyond cool!!
Thanks! I was envious of those on military forums that had done this and it was always in the back of my mind to put one together.
Finally tracked down a decent sewing kit that wasn't priced outrageously high. so many versions were made but I settled on this one. I may also eventually get the OD cloth tie up version but for now this one isn't missing too many items. its hard to find one that is both in decent condition and contains most if not all of the parts... this is one of the "deluxe" versions that included a few extras.

il_1588xN.2213715009_sjsz.jpg

il_794xN.2166154954_n2qw.jpg
il_794xN.2166155040_4cje.jpg
il_794xN.2213715075_olpy.jpg
il_794xN.2213715167_ss7c.jpg
il_794xN.2213715301_iv90.jpg

Edward

Wonderful find! One of those is on my wishlist for someday!

How does the self-threading needle (on the little card in the middle) work?
I honestly don't know for sure but a while back when I needed to sew up something for the first time I had trouble keeping a knot in the needle.. as I sewed it would come undone and I would have to rethread which is a pain and I googled how to do a proper thread knot and found how to "self thread" by rolling the eye of the needle over the palm of your hand with the thread laying in it... it was some kind of dark magic only women know how to actually pull off I think :p
I couldn't get it to thread the eye that way at all... and went back to squinting and poking until it went in.

set up a proper display area for the footlocker instead of leaving it on the floor. my apartment is way too small now. :D I have a small 5" x 7" Betty Grable photo on the way to add to the pinup section :)

#IamNOTaMuseum

IMG_8723.JPG

Edward

ugh, I need to step away from the computer and go for a walk but I could not resist buying this mint NOS never used early WWII E-Z sewing kit for a mere $10.00! Most are in bad shape and they want more than twice that so it was an easy justification :D
These were made of coated paper and the threads woven and you pulled on a thread to get what you needed.. very clever indeed!
sewingkit1.jpg
sewingkit2.jpg
sewingkit3.jpg
sewingkit4.jpg

Smithy

Edward, I think it's a foregone conclusion that you will very shortly have one of the most authentic and also very impressive USAAF footlockers out there.

The level of detail you're putting into this is brilliant.

Keep the posts and pictures coming, I for one, am loving this thread.

B-Man2

Ed
Do you have a WWII US Army issued Bible from that period ? It’s a small hand sized bible with a forward from FDR. That might be a good addition as you can still find them around.

B-Man2

Wow! All your stuff is museum quality .
What a great way to stay occupied for a while and take your mind off all the craziness.
Cheers !

Edward

Very difficult to find one of these! A NOS original Dr. West's Miracle-Tuft toothbrush in the original glass vile with label. The plastic bottom end cap is missing but otherwise mint condition. These were commonly issued to servicemen during the war and now is part of my WWII footlocker display.

In 1938, DuPont Corporation began manufacturing synthetic bristle toothbrushes. Nylon yarn was used along with molded plastic handles. It was advertised as ‘Dr. West’s Miracle-Tuft Toothbrush’. DuPont claimed it was sealed in glass, waterproof, and guaranteed for a year.

With the invention of nylon During World War II, toothbrushes were marketed to the American homefront supporting the war effort with the slogan of: “Your American Duty…To keep well…and keep working!”

IMG_8824.JPG
IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG
jo6oj6ttlib11.jpg
1944-Dr-Wests-Toothbrush-Ad-For-Health.jpg
drwest.jpg
il_1588xN.507629497_j4r9.jpg

Edward

added one more sewing kit to the footlocker. this was one of the more standard versions. very small and the threads woven together. you just pulled on the thread you needed. Hard to get these in decent shape. this one is unused and seems to be complete.

IMG_8832.JPG
sewingkit1.jpg
sewingkit2.jpg
sewingkit3.jpg
sewingkit4.jpg

Edward

Made a great and rare find/purchase today.. a pre 1938 Dr. West's Natural Bristle toothbrush still in the glass vial AND with the always missing plastic seal! Boar bristles were used until 1938, when nylon bristles were introduced by Dupont de Nemours.
No wonder no one liked to brush... hog hair taken from the back of a hog's neck! :D
IMG_8841.JPG
IMG_8842.JPG
IMG_8843.JPG
IMG_8844.JPG
IMG_8845.JPG
IMG_8846.JPG