• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Gear Book

Peter Graham

Looks the buisness. Pity it's in Japanese, unless you speak Japanese of course. Works out pretty expensive with the postage included.

joeson

I have a copy,it's called 'suit up'.I think a lot of the collectors on this forum have it,no?I also have 'flight jacket brand catalogue',which deals with repros.
You may be able to get it from the Japan centre in piccadilly,London.

Cobblers161

I got mine direct from www.sasugabooks.com. too. Fast shipping and the price was marked down for customs. Saying that, why not just print off that ebay link? He's pretty much got the entire book up there! :D

rich

So this is Suit Up! It's been mentioned so often on the forum too. Thanks chaps - seems unbelievable that there isn't the market for an English edition. Thanks for all the advice, I think I can make room on my bookshelves for a copy of this, even if I won't be able to read it!

Cobblers161

There you go then...

I thought there was a possibility of 17.5 per cent/ 15 per cent vat dependant upon content of book. No actual customs duty.

rich

asiamiles said:
Cobblers161 said:
It ws about 45 quid in total (which should have incurred a customs charge).
There shouldn't be customs charges on books.

What's the reasoning behind this exemption do you think? Glad to hear about it though, I'm intending to get hold of one of these.

Cobblers161

Books = Knowledge. Educational I guess.

I would ask when you order to mark the content in English, mine was in Japanese and thus my suprise it got through. Maybe some guy up in Coventry customs can read Kanji.

asiamiles

Cobblers161 said:
Books = Knowledge. Educational I guess.

Exactly. Indeed, if a package is marked "printed matter" the sender often (seems to vary) doesn't have to attach fill in the green label stating the value of the item.

Peter Graham

My copy arrived today. Beats the hell out of the other flight jacket books. I just wish I could read Japanese. One gripe, whats going on with page 312, that's not a B-9. I was also disappointed that the book is not hardback.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
My copy arrived today. Beats the hell out of the other flight jacket books. I just wish I could read Japanese. One gripe, whats going on with page 312, that's not a B-9. I was also disappointed that the book is not hardback.

Mine has the B-9 on page 342 (funny white on black font).

Suit Up is great, but it could be better organised, and it has some gaps. Full Gear is more concise, complete, and logically laid out ... plus it's a hardback.

These two Japanese books are all I use.

SpeednAngels

Suit Up.. the bible at best.. its all about the pics and the important charts are
in English so no prob. The author helped all us novices out pretty damn good
when the book came out in the early 90s.. It was 50 bucks even then

rich

Peter Graham said:

Just got mine too! It's frustrating to wonder what is being said in the text, but the pictures alone make the book well worth having IMO. I looked at page 312 Peter and I have an MA-1 featured here! Maybe we have different editions? I agree it would
have been nicer as a hardback, in fact my wife said ' what's that, a catalogue?'. Which it is, of sorts. One of those AL-1 jackets would be nice to have round about now.......... never seen this before.