• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight/Aviator Jacket Recommendation

heybro

I want to buy a cool flight / aviator leather jacket.

I have been told that Aero horsehide from horween IS THE BEST.

What are your recommendations? Can you buy Aero in the US at all?

THANK YOU!

Jeff M

Welcome.

Aero makes great jackets.
They are based in Scotland, and do ship to the US.

Re; their "aviator" style jackets.....just depends on what you are looking for.
I own several leather jackets....more than I am ready to admit to. :lol:
Many Aero's. I love Aero's "civilian" design jackets....their Highwayman and Halfbelt in particular.

But..if you are looking for an authentic reproduction A2 or G1 design, I think you will find most folks who make a hobby of those jackets would say there are other makers who are more "authentic".
I own an Aero A2 design, and a modified G1 design (their M422A without the mouton collar.)
The military jackets are nice...but I much prefer some other makers who specialize in military leather jacket reproductions.

At the top of the list is Goodwear;

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

Eastman Leather also makes nice repros;

http://www.eastmanleather.com/

I feel their designs and leather, especially Goodwear's, is preferable to Aero's "military" jackets

Another jacket maker I've recently purchased from, Superior Flight Apparel, made me a superb A1. Mark (the owner) uses much of the same leather that Goodwear uses.

http://superiorjackets.com/

I'm sending more of my business Marks way.

Roughwear

heybro said:

THANK YOU!

Welcome to the forum. You will find many reviews of excellent jackets on the made by premier makers such as Good Wear, Eastman and Bill Kelso. You just need to set aside a few hours to read the posts in the Repro and Review sections.

Jeff M

Re; Aero's horsehide...
I wouldn't call it the "best".
Their full quarter heavy horsehide is great....if you like heavy leather jackets...which I do on civilian designs, but not military designs. Lots of folks do NOT like Aero's full weight horsehide due to it's stiffness and weight.
If looking for a G1 style jacket...they are made not with horsehide, but goat. I'm pretty sure Aero would make you one out of horsehide if you want.
Re; their A2 horsehide leather...I have not been impressed with the leather they use on that design. It' is top notch leather ...but I prefer the offerings of makers like Goodwear, Superior Flight Apparel.

heybro

wow thanks both for the information.

Jeff, you like aero's heavy horsehide then? what else about aero has led you to own so many?

awesome awesome

mark

MikeyB-17

Aero make superb jackets, their standard of construction and quality of materials are among the best you can buy anywhere. However if accurate reproduction of Wartime military jackets is important to you, there are companies who do that better, as previously mentioned. If you're looking for a jacket that is beautifully made, with the overall look and feel of a WWII jacket but not necessarily reproducing the finer details exactly, Aero will do you fine.

Jeff M

heybro said:
wow thanks both for the information.

Jeff, you like aero's heavy horsehide then? what else about aero has led you to own so many?

awesome awesome

mark

I like their design, custom make and their FQHH a lot on their civilian designs.
Not on their A2's though.

A

Anonymous

I am afraid that is not accurate. Do a google search on what is the best quality leather and you will see.

Independent experts, or better say professionals, as you don't have to be an expert to know this, all agree and it's like 101 common knowledge in the leather industry, that the BEST quality leather is a full grain pure aniline leather. If it's vegetable tanned, then even better.

I am afraid, Horween's chrome tanned horsehide does not fall under the BEST category but it's good enough to make a nice jacket.

John Lever

heybro said:

THANK YOU!
What do you mean by a ' Cool Jacket?'
A design classic like the A-2 or a modern design possibly a civvi jacket or M/C jacket?
Some very nice designs don't suit very heavy leather, for example the 1930's A-1. so horsehide may not be the way forward and may limit your choice. There are also some very nice classic sheepskin jackets like the B-3 and RAF Irvin, it just depends on your preferences.

Of all the jackets I have owned the ones that get the most attention are my Perry B-3 by Eastman, the B-2 and M445 by The few. The B-2 gets the most attention of all, a classic 1930's design, not too bulky but still warm.

Stef

If by flight/aviator leather jacket you mean an A2, then forget Aero...For a high end repro and high price, go Goodwear, for a moderate price and really cool look/quality go Bill kelso !!!

les_garten

heybro said:

THANK YOU!

Decide how much you have to spend at the outside/most.

Then spend a Lot of time reading the forum here and the Fedora Lounge

Come back when you have a better understanding of what you want.

If you want a REAL Jacket, it's gonna cost REAL money. For that, you need to do your homework. Then WE can help you keep from making mistakes...

Well, maybe we can...