• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Reproduction J.A. DUBOW MFG CO. A2

Ricks

Would like to ask group on how my Fivestar HH Dubow fits. My chest measures 43. The L/44 was too tight zipped up. I had to return it and go up one size XL/46. I had t-shirt on in this photo. My concern if I go up to 2XL/48 it might look oversized but will accommodate layering. From the forums the A2 is a more form fitting jacket. Welcome your replies on fitting and if going up to size 2XL/48 will be too large on me. I very impressed with the jacket.

Attachments

• Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.33 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.33 PM #2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 189
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.41 PM #7.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.41 PM #7.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 187
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.42 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.42 PM.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.41 PM #6.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 12.41 PM #6.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 177

Pa12

Would like to ask group on how my Fivestar HH Dubow fits. My chest measures 43. The L/44 was too tight zipped up. I had to return it and go up one size XL/46. I had t-shirt on in this photo. My concern if I go up to 2XL/48 it might look oversized but will accommodate layering. From the forums the A2 is a more form fitting jacket. Welcome your replies on fitting and if going up to size 2XL/48 will be too large on me. I very impressed with the jacket.
Looks good to me.

Smithy

A-2s are unlike modern jackets and for that reason most people when they put a real WWII designed pattern of one on the first time think the jacket is too small.

A-2s due to their design often feel restrictive due to the shirt-like construction - there's no bi-swing, etc and the sleeves will often ride up slightly on reaching forward.

That jacket you have is spot on. Your worries and concerns are due to the inherent design of the A-2 not bad sizing.

Funnily enough with prolonged wear you'll probably come to love wearing an A-2 and come to actually like the shortcomings of the design like all of us here have.

I still remember putting on an A-2 the first time and thinking "This is all wrong", now I love wearing them.

Ricks

How does it look with a long-sleeved, collared shirt?
I took these with a t-shirt and wearing a long sleeve collar shirt. zipped up there is not a lot of room in the jacket & pretty form fitting. I'm 6ft 190. Sitting with half zipped feels tight around abdomen. I wear size 38 pants. My sizing on the chart XL/46 looks like that would be the size to go with. Debating if the 2XL/48 would fit a little better if wearing more than a t-shirt and have a little more space with wearing a shirt with a t-shirt or will it look way too baggy, most likely I will be wearing a long sleeve shirt with a t-shirt or henley long sleeve. Not sure how much the horsehide will give as I wear it more? Reading the feedback and the advice how the WWII era A2 were not a baggy. I appreciate all the feed back the group has given.

Attachments

• Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #4.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #3.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 127
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 120
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.38 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.38 PM.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-18-24 at 4.39 PM #2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Pa12

I took these with a t-shirt and wearing a long sleeve color shirt. zipped up there is not a lot of room in the jacket & pretty form fitting. I'm 6ft 189. Sitting with half zipped feels a little tight around abdomen. I wear size 38 pants. My sizing on the chart XL/46 looks perfect. Debating if the 2XL/48 would not fit a little better if wearing more than a t-shirt.
Looks bang on to me. I think a bigger one might drop off your shoulders too much and the arms would be too long. Can’t really wear a lot under these jackets. Tshirt and long sleeve shirt is all I wear.

B-Man2

Suggestion
If you live in a cold climate for the better part of the year and you plan to layer or wear a sweater, then go up a size …But … remember that it will be loose on you during the warm months . If you live in a warmer climate most of the year , keep what you have, but remember that in the colder months you won’t be able to layer.
If you live in a climate where it’s 50 / 50
Order another one in the bigger size and change them out with the change in seasons .
Problem solved :)

mulceber

I think whether you'll be able to layer under it depends a great deal on what type of layer you're looking to add. If you mean something like a big Icelandic sweater, then yes, you'll definitely have to go an extra size up. But something tighter-fitting like a C-2 sweater or a jeep sweater? From the pictures I think you'd have room.

Chandler

I took these with a t-shirt and wearing a long sleeve color shirt. zipped up there is not a lot of room in the jacket & pretty form fitting. I'm 6ft 189. Sitting with half zipped feels a little tight around abdomen. I wear size 38 pants. My sizing on the chart XL/46 looks perfect. Debating if the 2XL/48 would not fit a little better if wearing more than a t-shirt.
I see what you're saying at half-zip around your waist, but the shoulders and sleeves look pretty roomy.

I'm not familiar with the Dubow cut, but maybe another make would be better for your build.

That said, a size up in the Dubow would probably be too big.

Pa12

This. The Dubow's fit is frequently described as "athletic" - that is, some what bigger in the upper torso, a bit tighter in the lower torso. They aren't as unforgiving as the Star Sportswear contract, but other makes like Aero and Cable are a bit more generous.
Yes. I’d say that for my dubow and bronco. Shoulders more square, where my rw tends to droop or slope off the shoulders.

blackrat2

For what it’s worth I think that looks ok also, they aren’t like a modern jacket and if you size up again I don’t think it’s gonna work right
Maybe message Shawn and see if a Poughkeepsie or other original maker jacket he does would suit your build
I like a loose cut for layering myself but and I have had several jackets through my hands, as have many on here, some just didn’t suit my build..and let’s be honest here, your spending money so go for what works for you as you do have that luxury