• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

Jeronimo Watchmaker

Hello, greetings from the Czech Republic. My first A-2 arrived today. RW Clothing Co Contract No. W535 AC-27752 Genuine Horsehide Seal Brown. It is tailor-made. I will try to give a review in some time. So far I'm satisfied. The jacket is from Fivestar. I have to appreciate the communication and speed of delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3744.JPG
    IMG_3744.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20240103_151421.jpg
    IMG_20240103_151421.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:

ludospeed

Hello, greetings from the Czech Republic. My first A-2 arrived today. RW Clothing Co Contract No. W535 AC-27752 Genuine Horsehide Seal Brown. It is tailor-made. I will try to give a review in some time. So far I'm satisfied. The jacket is from Fivestar. I have to appreciate the communication and speed of delivery.
I think some pieces of leather are glued. Not very like a original. and very dark seal brown. :eek:

Smithy

You think it's glued? Care to elaborate?

I don't have one but this has been talked about before on here. Like a lot of jacket makers on the Subcontinent, they use glue for some purposes. A shufti using the search function should bring up previous discussions about this.

Smithy

would the glue be done to hold things in place for sewing?

There have been a few chats about this on here. IIRC it was for that primarily but also to make the production process of the jacket quicker. I'm no expert but there was the implication that it was to "cut corners". I think Ken even chimed in on it, and how it wasn't the most high quality way to go about things.

Harris_HTM

There have been a few chats about this on here. IIRC it was for that primarily but also to make the production process of the jacket quicker. I'm no expert but there was the implication that it was to "cut corners". I think Ken even chimed in on it, and how it wasn't the most high quality way to go about things.
I remember indeed Ken commenting on how it is impossible to repair seams that are glued; however he was referring to the seams of high end Japanese civilian repro's, where they skive and glue the leather at the seams so they get a thin and neat looking seam.

Harris_HTM

My last FS jacket smells like glue and synthetics. I didn't understand why a horse leather jacket gave off that smell.
My last FS jacket (a year ago, a United A2 in horsehide) smelled awfully as well, I couldn't get rid of the smell at all. After trying everything I put it in the washing machine; they obviously use stretched leathers because my jacket shrunk almost two sizes.

Pa12

My last FS jacket (a year ago, a United A2 in horsehide) smelled awfully as well, I couldn't get rid of the smell at all. After trying everything I put it in the washing machine; they obviously use stretched leathers because my jacket shrunk almost two sizes.
Maybe they used the horses that went to the glue factory ;)

Smithy

I've been doing this jacket malarkey for 2 decades. Now that's much, much less than many on here yet more than others.

I'm not trying to preach to the converted, they know this already. But one of the most important things I have learnt in all that time is that cheap jackets are never going to be the same as a high end jacket. You can't pay peanuts and get the same quality leather or workmanship as one of the high end makers. It's just impossible.

I spent loads of cash chasing what I now call the Cheapo Mirage and ultimately it was a failure.

The closest I got was a first generation AVI Bronco which I love but even I know it's a mid level jacket at best.

It's fine to buy lower or mid level jackets if that's what you're happy with and that's all you want

BUT...

If you want a high end jacket like the high end makers make then you have to buy a jacket made by a high end maker. There's just no getting around it.

Blackboxr1200S

Ok. I have both a goat and HH A-2 from five-star and neither of them had a bad or chemical smell to it.
A nice new leather smell, similar to any leather Dainese, Alpine stars or Arlen-ness motorcycle race suit ever bought.
Reading the last 2 pages in this topic looks like I was EXTREMELY lucky buying at Fivestar.

GON78

Ok. I have both a goat and HH A-2 from five-star and neither of them had a bad or chemical smell to it.
A nice new leather smell, similar to any leather Dainese, Alpine stars or Arlen-ness motorcycle race suit ever bought.
Reading the last 2 pages in this topic looks like I was EXTREMELY lucky buying at Fivestar.
I bought two in a month. The first one smelled like leather. I don't know what happened this second time but I no longer have the patience to spend so much time asking about things I shouldn't have to ask.

B-Man2

I've been doing this jacket malarkey for 2 decades. Now that's much, much less than many on here yet more than others.

I'm not trying to preach to the converted, they know this already. But one of the most important things I have learnt in all that time is that cheap jackets are never going to be the same as a high end jacket. You can't pay peanuts and get the same quality leather or workmanship as one of the high end makers. It's just impossible.

I spent loads of cash chasing what I now call the Cheapo Mirage and ultimately it was a failure.

The closest I got was a first generation AVI Bronco which I love but even I know it's a mid level jacket at best.

It's fine to buy lower or mid level jackets if that's what you're happy with and that's all you want

BUT...

If you want a high end jacket like the high end makers make then you have to buy a jacket made by a high end maker. There's just no getting around it.
Well said Tim .

Thomas Koehle