• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

FreddyF9

Hey yall, so I know A2 fit has been discussed to death, but I'm looking for opinions on my latest Jacket. A Fivestar Werber Steerhide A2 with handwarmer pockets. Like always, I'm super impressed with the quality of the jacket, but I'm not really feeling the fit. I normally wear a 40-41 so I ordered the extra small (thats a first for me) and while I think it looks great open, It's tight around the waist and the arms bind up a lot (red circles) when raised parallel to the ground also making the sleeves too short when driving.

View attachment 73861View attachment 73860View attachment 73859View attachment 73864

I'm planning on sending it back to Shawn, but I'm wondering exactly what measurement would need to be altered to alleviate the arms binding? Would just going up a size solve pretty much everything? Too tight all around? What do yall think?
To me, it looks like a wrong size; in the second pic the waist seems way too tight.
Don’t mind how it looks while open, to check if the size is correct, you have to look at how it fits while closed; even if you’re not planning to close it ever!

MrProper

Hey yall, so I know A2 fit has been discussed to death, but I'm looking for opinions on my latest Jacket. A Fivestar Werber Steerhide A2 with handwarmer pockets. Like always, I'm super impressed with the quality of the jacket, but I'm not really feeling the fit. I normally wear a 40-41 so I ordered the extra small (thats a first for me) and while I think it looks great open, It's tight around the waist and the arms bind up a lot (red circles) when raised parallel to the ground also making the sleeves too short when driving.

View attachment 73861View attachment 73860View attachment 73859View attachment 73864

I'm planning on sending it back to Shawn, but I'm wondering exactly what measurement would need to be altered to alleviate the arms binding? Would just going up a size solve pretty much everything? Too tight all around? What do yall think?

Too bad it's not a good fit for you.
I'm not a fan of A-2 jackets, but I like this one. Just because it sits rather tight.
I would keep it and wait until it is properly broken in.
Which leather did you order?

Micawber

Hello, I own a FiveStar B-6 and a close friend of mine has an Eastman B-6. The difference between the two jacket’s sheepskin is that on the FiveStar the pile is about 10 mm long, while on the Eastman, pile is indeed a bit shorter but it’s denser and curlier. Also, they’re almost equally warm.

Go up a size and research a contract with a relaxed fit.

YoungMedic

What Steve said, it took me a few tries to really figure out my A2 size that looks good an fits good, sizing up from what you think is never a bad idea and leather will always tend to shrink up a little if you wear the heck out of it in all conditions and be alot more comfortable than trying to stretch it out

leboucher

My jacket is ready to be shipped. Thanks for all the help in this thread.
Not sure if it's something you guys will like, as I took the B6 and then changed a few things, but I REALLY like the result.

Shawn even had someone wear the jacket so I could see the fit - his customer service has been unreal.

0445c4a3-5287-45bc-ba48-af44306e7fd6.jpg40668855-8e23-44c0-9601-ed8051bb4fa9.JPGd3d90301-f6f2-4bcf-a7c4-40f810f15483.JPG

bach37strad

Hey yall, I finally heard back from Shawn and since i requested a different lining and hand warmer pockets, It's not available for exchange. Disappointing but I understand.

Anyways that leaves me with a size 40 steerhide Werber A2 to try and sell. Pictures available on my previous post: https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/five-star.24840/post-336744 . It's only been worn once and is excellently made.

The jacket cost me $220 not including shipping and tip. I'd take that or the best offer so please email me if you're interested. [email protected] I could probably spring free shipping in the US too.

Last edited:

bigbacon

I am looking at getting 2 jackets from five star, A-2 and B-3

the A2s have a million choices and I'm not even sure where to start to determine which one I would want? I do some USAAF living history stuff. The B3 has less choices but I'm looking to have a mid war like 42/43 thing going since I already have a lot of the other winter flying gear.

the A2 is just more or less a universal coat for things. I guess brown leather I what I prefer.

Also what help can you give on sizing? I normally wear a 38 to 40 coat depending on manufacturer of the clothing but I assume upsizing a tiny bit would be correct? is there chart fairly accurate?

flyincowboy

The new ordered B3 is size 44 it is one size smaller than my regular size which is 46.... i am still loosing some weight and the fit is a little bit snug at the waist.... still have to loose a bit of my beer belly... Quite sure a 46 will be fine. if you want to wear your jacket comfortably go for one size up.
fred b3 mid brown facing.jpg
a2+b3 open.jpg

CBI

I just notice a post on the 5 Star FB page that they will begin making nylon flight jackets . Shawn has been waiting for nylon shell material which has arrived.

Flightengineer

I just notice a post on the 5 Star FB page that they will begin making nylon flight jackets . Shawn has been waiting for nylon shell material which has arrived.

Not only nylon ... they tried to reproduce the USSR Air Force fur jacket :rolleyes: . Surprised. The originals are still available.

Thomas Koehle

The new ordered B3 is size 44 it is one size smaller than my regular size which is 46.... i am still loosing some weight and the fit is a little bit snug at the waist.... still have to loose a bit of my beer belly... Quite sure a 46 will be fine. if you want to wear your jacket comfortably go for one size up.View attachment 74480View attachment 74481

Like the fit of your jacket - well and the crew cab behind you ...

From the color it looks like an ex-airforce truck???

Any more pics available?

MikeyB-17

I’ve just seen that too. I’m intrigued because I fancy an MA-1, but don’t fancy paying BR or McCoys prices.

flyincowboy

yes former Airforce truck Bought long time ago with low miles... Upgraded the 5.9 v8 with a new cam and performance cylinder heads 4" Lift kit an35"s bfg all terrain truck is running on propane( LPG) which is still affordable by now...
20210716_112650.jpg