• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

bach37strad

Hey yall, been wearing the new G8 a few days now, and noticed it's not weathering like my other jacket and the topcoat is actually starting to peel away in several places rather than scuff/fade. It's not particularly serious yet, but is this something I should be concerned about?
PXL_20210519_061733178.jpg
PXL_20210519_061701370.jpg
PXL_20210519_061657428.jpg
PXL_20210519_061651034.jpg

Micawber

daw

This kind of wear isn't desirable, so I personally will hold off on the horsehide. Is there an issue with wear on the the goatskin from Fivestar?

mulceber

I recall there was a similar situation with Shawn’s goatskin about a month ago. As I recall, the explanation was that it was fast aging, but that had the unfortunate effect of causing heavy wear at the armpits. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same issue on a different hide.

bach37strad

This was the mid brown HH. Shot a message with the pics to Shawn this morning, so i'm sure he'll reply soon. Super disappointed with wear on this. Its peeling like an old bonded leather couch. Any amount of friction exacerbates the peeling, so i wont be wearing it anymore for the time being.

MaydayWei

I recall there was a similar situation with Shawn’s goatskin about a month ago. As I recall, the explanation was that it was fast aging, but that had the unfortunate effect of causing heavy wear at the armpits. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same issue on a different hide.

That was me... but in February! Time flies, eh?

bach37strad

If it comes down to having to replace it, can anyone vouch for any of Shawn's other leathers that dont have this issue? Thought I had seen a lot of nice looking goat a2s on here, but now yall saying its got the same issues?

mulceber

His regular goat does, but it's always been pretty "meh" goat anyway. His vintage goat that he uses for the Dubow 27798 is really nice stuff, and I don't think anyone's ever had an issue with it.

I'd also be interested in hearing from other people that have already bought jackets in this leather. This seems like an issue that should affect all Shawn's HH jackets, but of the three or so jackets I've seen posted, this is the only one where issues have been reported.

Last edited:

bach37strad

For other folks sake I want to believe it could be isolated to my jacket, but I doubt it. Definitely seem like a tanning issue.

I agree though I'd like to hear from @BadMofo about how his is holding up. Comparing the pictures between mine and his though, they don't looks like the same cut of leather. Granted they're different colors, but his grain looks much more pronounced than mine.

BadMofo

I agree though I'd like to hear from @BadMofo about how his is holding up. Comparing the pictures between mine and his though, they don't looks like the same cut of leather. Granted they're different colors, but his grain looks much more pronounced than mine.
@bach37strad I have used my Jacket every day since I’ve got it – one week.
I’ve checked it now carefully and photographed the very few places where this peeling appeared.
20210520_080755.jpg
20210520_080831.jpg
20210520_080905.jpg
20210520_080935.jpg

Cocker

Have you posted about this issue on TFL, in the dedicated Five Star topic? See if anyone else may have the same issue?

Smithy

Less than perfect top coat on the leather, pure and simple. AVI had this happen back in the day too I can remember.

I am sure Shawn will sort this out toot sweet.

I'm in line for a Poughkeepsie which I am planning for the mid brown HH but I won't be ordering until this issue is sorted.