• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Should I but which jacket.

B-Man2

I was thinking the other night about the repro jackets Shawn and his team are working one, and how popular the WW2 ones are. But I wonder if he would have success reproducing the second generation A-2 that came out in the 80s? I’ve seen the Orchard A-2 get some real love on here, so why not? I personally think it would be very popular, especially with the extra side pockets and generous cut. What do you guys think about that?
Interesting thought . My thoughts are, that most guys who like A2 jackets, like them for more than just the appearance of the jacket . They like them because they represent a symbol of a period when WWII fighter pilots flew into combat and fought in life or death battles . They like them for the pilots and the stories those pilots brought home with them . They like them because they represent a wild and crazy period of time that will never be back again and has faded into history . They like the Monarch because Chuck Yeager wore one . They like the Rough Wear because Jimmy Stewart and Hub Zemke wore one. Unfortunately the Orchard A2 doesn’t represent any of those moments in time or anyone special , the Roughwears, the Du Bows, and the Aero A2’s do . Just my take on the answer to you question .
Cheers

Last edited:

WingAndaPrayer

Interesting thought . My thoughts are, that most guys who like A2 jackets, like them for more than just the appearance of the jacket . They like them because they represent a symbol of a period when WWII fighter pilots flew into combat and fought in life or death battles . They like them for the pilots and the stories those pilots brought home with them . They like them because they represent a wild and crazy period of time that will never be back again and has faded into history . They like the Monarch because Chuck Yeager wore one . They like the Rough Wear because Jimmy Stewart and Hub Zemke wore one. Unfortunately the Orchard A2 doesn’t represent any of those moments in time or anyone special , the Roughwears, the Du Bows, and the Aero A2’s do . Just my take on the answer to you question .
Cheers
I can see that. I also see a lot of people who are dimly aware of that heritage, if at all, and just want a “bomber” jacket. Especially with the modern fit and extra pockets, that would attract more people then more spartan WW2 version. And outside of FiveStar the price for one of these jackets is bonkers. I think it would be a solid niche. Modern fit and convince with a better leather quality then what’s at the boutique in the mall, plus real Air Force lineage.

Chris 55

I think it would be a fine idea, but I'm not sure why someone would buy a Five Star modern A-2 when you can get a real one for about half the price of a Five Star on eBay.

Good point.
I'm still drawn to something 5 Star.
It's a shame that there isn't any more period flying gear other than the Irvin from the RAF WW2.

mulceber

It's a shame that there isn't any more period flying gear other than the Irvin from the RAF WW2.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean that Five Star doesn't have any more period flying gear? If so, they actually have a pretty solid repro of the B-3, the D-1, the M-444 and M-445A (iirc), with more on the way.

ausreenactor

I can see that. I also see a lot of people who are dimly aware of that heritage, if at all, and just want a “bomber” jacket. Especially with the modern fit and extra pockets, that would attract more people then more spartan WW2 version. And outside of FiveStar the price for one of these jackets is bonkers. I think it would be a solid niche. Modern fit and convince with a better leather quality then what’s at the boutique in the mall, plus real Air Force lineage.

They are Bomber jackets.... Bomber, Fighter, Cargo, Utility and Liaison jackets perhaps?

Chris 55

Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean that Five Star doesn't have any more period flying gear? If so, they actually have a pretty solid repro of the B-3, the D-1, the M-444 and M-445A (iirc), with more on the way.

What I mean is that the Americans had so much more flight gear as opposed to the RAF flight gear.
Sorry for rambling.