• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Should I but which jacket.

Chris 55

Since joining this forum I seem to have more of an interest in jackets.
The Irvin jacket has been the one I've always wanted and waited a long time to have one.
Although it's the Ace's High size 42 I think I would have been better with 44 I also have had a couple of smaller genuine Irvins.
But I'm now been drawn to Five Star but not sure what jacket I would suit, being 56 this year I'm thinking I should treat myself.
So I'm looking for ideas and suggestions
I know the A2s are popular.
So I'm a 42/44 chest 36 waist.
Picture below is the Ace's High.
IMG-20210107-WA0009.jpg

mulceber

I’d hold out for a couple months: Five Star’s going to be producing accurate repros (pattern taken from originals) of the Star Sportswear and Poughkeepsie A-2 contracts, which will give you more choices than just the Dubow. Based on how you describe your build, the Star might be a great choice for you.

Last edited:

Chris 55

I’d hold out for a couple months: Five Star’s going to be producing accurate repros (pattern taken from originals) of the Star Sportswear and Poughkeepsie A-2 contracts, which will give you more choices than just the Dubow. Based on how you describe your build, the Star might be a great choice for you.

Thanks
Just out of interest why would you suggest those two and the difference between them.

mulceber

Well it’s down to the Poughkeepsie, Dubow and Star because those are the only A-2 jackets where Shawn has been able to take his pattern from an original (so far).

From what you said, you have a somewhat narrow waist and a broader upper torso (at least compared to me). That makes the Dubow and the Star the better choices for you, since they’re both trim in the waist and a bit more generous in the upper torso. Of the two of them, I like the Star’s collar better. :D

However you feel about collars though, I think it’s worth your while to see what your options are.

Last edited:

Chris 55

Well it’s down to the Poughkeepsie, Dubow and Star because those are the only A-2 jackets where Shawn has been able to take his pattern from an original (so far).

From what you said, you have a somewhat narrow waist and broader shoulders (at least compared to me). That makes the Dubow and the Star the better choices for you, since they’re both trim in the waist and a bit more generous in the upper torso. Of the two of them, I like the Star’s collar better. :D

However you feel about collars though, I think it’s worth your while to see what your options are.

Yes I'm starting to see what you mean.
I tend look at myself as being a bit square in the body.
A collar is a definite yes.
This could be a possibility
Screenshot_20210307_014911_com.android.chrome.jpg

ausreenactor

Try a Dubow A-2 and see how it fits! Then perhaps 'tailor' a more personalised design. If the Dubow is not exactly what you are looking for then you will flip it easily. Less so with a less common jacket style.. Just a thought..

B-Man2

Chris
That Aces High Irvin is just damn nice . You’re lucky to have found one in any size. I think I’d throw a back flip if I ever found one in a 46 or 48.

flyincowboy

Guess that i am in the same boat! Ordered a fivestar B3 for the winter and am happy with it . Another one refurbished by Shawn and is team Jacket is on his way to my home. I really want an A2 repro but my wishes will be for HORSEHIDE leather.... first choice was for a BRONCO brown russet but SHAWN made some nice REPROS from original ones DONNINGER DUBOW and some more to come .... It will be hard to chose one just think the best will be to wait for the prototype and make up my mind for this next jacket .... Till the next one lol.

bn1966

Both mine are custom sized, similar chest / waist ratio issues as you have. Those A-2’s in horse will be something else & sounds like an Irvin will be produced in the future when Shawn gets one to pattern off of.

WingAndaPrayer

I was thinking the other night about the repro jackets Shawn and his team are working one, and how popular the WW2 ones are. But I wonder if he would have success reproducing the second generation A-2 that came out in the 80s? I’ve seen the Orchard A-2 get some real love on here, so why not? I personally think it would be very popular, especially with the extra side pockets and generous cut. What do you guys think about that?