• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star A-2 Epaulette Placement and General Quality

Jtrob

I don't quite get the 5 Star Avi thing. What would you ever expect to get from a $300 repro? Is it just the thrill of the chase? Maybe THIS time the stars will align and the leather will look good; the sewing won't look generic and awful; the pattern won't suck! I'll buy 5 jackets at $300 trying to get one that looks presentable! If money's the issue a used quality repro from eBay or a US Authentic or Gibson and Barnes which are at least made in USA and of high quality.

Kudos to the companies for trying- but everything they make at this point is a work in progress- they are always ïmproving". Do you really want to buy a repro which is going to be improved on in a few weeks? Their A-2 jackets look cartoonish and wrong- exaggerated and to be honest the sewing just isn't right.
This is good input, thanks. do you have first hand experience with five star or Avi or projecting based on price? Honest question as I’m new to the forum but trying to evaluate if I want to try one of the lower priced A2 options, there are allot of positive comments I’ve read before yours.

ZuZu

I can see just from photos that there's a lot wrong with these jackets- it's like they just don't get it. I have no experience with either personally but it's not that hard to get a good jacket for $600 or $700 so I'd never get one. If I were a reenactor who just wore the jacket as a costume maybe but as a jacket I'd be proud to wear no way. Just IMO- sorry to hurt feelings.

Enigma1938

This is good input, thanks. do you have first hand experience with five star or Avi or projecting based on price? Honest question as I’m new to the forum but trying to evaluate if I want to try one of the lower priced A2 options, there are allot of positive comments I’ve read before yours.
There's only one maker of repro jackets in this world ZuZu will accept - goodwear, everything else is just plain BS in his eyes (sorry Zu, nut an insult - i understand your point ;)) so I don't believe he is open minded for everything else.

ZuZu

You're pretty much right about that- I'm plagued with an obsessive mind so tuned to details and pattern that I could never have anything but a GW personally- precisely because GW is unique in its attention to detail and pattern. You're not going to get closer to an original. That being said- if I was NOT concerned about detail and pattern I'd buy a good generic repro- an old Eastman house jacket (Grant has my favorite one- it looks like original leather was used) a Gibson and Barnes or possibly even a Lost Worlds (only if I were a size 40 or less). A Platon would do in a pinch. If I'm paying $1000+ it's going to be GW.

If GW didn't exist I'd go with some of the Japanese A-2 repros- Toys Mcoys especially I think gets it.

Enigma1938

As I said, I understand your point of view Zu.
But I understand also that there are lots of folks out there who just cannot afford the prices of Goodwear, McCoy's, Eastman etc.
Sure there's truely a lot of BS, especially in the low budget segment but there are Exceptions also. I don't have a connection to Jay from Headwind or have ever handled one of their jackets but their budget A2's look good enough for that price. At least Jay should know how to pattern and sewn together an A2 correctly.

ZuZu

As I said, I understand your point of view Zu.
But I understand also that there are lots of folks out there who just cannot afford the prices of Goodwear, McCoy's, Eastman etc.
Sure there's truely a lot of BS, especially in the low budget segment but there are Exceptions also. I don't have a connection to Jay from Headwind or have ever handled one of their jackets but their budget A2's look good enough for that price. At least Jay should know how to pattern and sewn together an A2 correctly.
I see- but as I said there're good quality American jackets which aren't copies. I think there is a lost in transaltion disconnect with the South Asian companies trying to do exact repros for $400. Too may details not quite right and from what I've seen inferior sewing- not bad sewing but too few stitches per inch, to weird seam allowances. The East Asian companies do well but you pay- ditto the Greeks.

Enigma1938

I see- but as I said there're good quality American jackets which aren't copies. I think there is a lost in transaltion disconnect with the South Asian companies trying to do exact repros for $400. Too may details not quite right and from what I've seen inferior sewing- not bad sewing but too few stitches per inch, to weird seam allowances. The East Asian companies do well but you pay- ditto the Greeks.
If there's 5* in your mind I'm all in with your opinions. I have handled some fivestar jackets meanwhile and agree that there are lots of flaws. The seam issues especially the stitch lenghts and thread materials are the most annoying but there are problems with patterns also like huge tubular sleeves and stuff. I've seen an 5* B3 where the sheepskin was painted over with a brush in some points where the leather was damaged obviously and worse - there were points with little glued in patches to cover up little holes... that is NOT quality. To buy a 5* is russian roulette

Enigma1938

You think so?
Well it's obvious. I cannot find anything wrong with Jay's budget Arlo and Bronco besides the cheaper materials used. Cut and workmanship look good to me - more than good enough for a 350$ jacket.
AVI's jackets are made in Pakistan too but you can see the different stages of Authenticity and Quality with AVI, 5* or Headwind, pakistani is not pakistani

Chandler

Well it's obvious.
Not to me. One of the Headwind jackets I saw was very billowy in back and I'm not as impressed with their hide as much as some of the Avi pieces I've seen.

But yes, we're comparing Headwind's "budget" line to Avi's regular line -- so probably not apples to oranges (maybe peaches to apricots? ;))

WBOONE

If you do a comparison on the epulates on the 5* A2 in profile and a Bronco horsehide A2 on the GW site with John also in profile you see that the GW epulates are at a zero degree angle ( flat) to the shoulder, and the 5* profile shot has the epulates at a almost 45 degree angle going foward on the shoulder. So there is quite a diffrence FWIW.

If you do a comparison on the epulates on the 5* A2 in profile and a Bronco horsehide A2 on the GW site with John also in profile you see that the GW epulates are at a zero degree angle ( flat) to the shoulder, and the 5* profile shot has the epulates at a almost 45 degree angle going foward on the shoulder. So there is quite a diffrence FWIW.
This is true. I've brought it up again with Shawn Ali so we'll see what happens.

WBOONE

Just saw pics on here of a gentleman with his 5* dubow 27798 A2 20 months into wear. He was also a bit disappointed at first but the jackets is looking pretty good with some good grain and texture. I expect the Bronco would improve with age and wear.