• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Few pics of the new (to me) Lost Worlds A2

A

Anonymous

As long as we're piling on- the other thing they used to get wrong (I'm not sure if Stewie corrected it yet) is their signature one-piece epaulets. Definitely some of their models on the LW website still sport those but one of the photos in "A-2 Collar Stand" seems to show a correct two-piece job...

Hobbstc

What are you referring to? I haven't seen pics or know enough to see what you are talking about with the 1pc vs 2 pc epaulets.

RCSignals

rotenhahn said:
As long as we're piling on- the other thing they used to get wrong (I'm not sure if Stewie corrected it yet) is their signature one-piece epaulets. Definitely some of their models on the LW website still sport those but one of the photos in "A-2 Collar Stand" seems to show a correct two-piece job...

They corrected those a long time ago, many years ago Along with the snaps

Hobbstc

It's all good enough for me. So my next question is this...I am currently an Army Aviator. I was thinking about getting a leather name strip and having someone paint my current unit patch on leather and making a modern day throwback. Any thoughts on the idea?

Our unit crest...

product_5298_max.jpg

unclegrumpy

That is always a hard choice. I think I would wear the jacket a while and then see what you think. Also, how long do you expect to be in that unit? One thing to consider is picking something that would have been worn on an A-2 in the day. You could do something from the Korean War representing one of the first units equipped with helicopters....with some research that could be really cool.

Hobbstc

Well, I'm in the Florida National Guard. Its the only helicopter Battalion in the state, so I would say i will be in the 1-111th my whole career. I'll be flying UH-60M Blackhawks as primary and UH-72A Lakotas as secondary.

Oh, and the only complaint I have with the jacket is that the collar snaps won't say snapped.

Falcon_52

Regarding the snap problem: I think Lost Worlds uses ring snaps. You could use a small needle nose pliers and gently bend the ends of the little copper retainer ring (inside the female end). Hopefully that will solve your issue.

Congratulations on the new jacket too!

Noel

unclegrumpy

It's your call. I think I would still wear the jacket a while as is.

If you decide to go with your unit's patch, I agree, I would have one of the guys paint you a 5" retro looking rounder version, maybe dropping the unit designation, which would not have been on it had it been around in WW II.

unclegrumpy

Hobbstc said:
Yeah I think you're right. As is for now. Maybe next year I'll revisit the idea.
Putting a patch on a leather jacket is a tough decision.

Now, not to get you in trouble with the wife....while your unit's patch does not look like a WW II patch, it would lend itself to be easily transformed into a Vietnam pocket patch. It would look really neat on a MA1 jacket done up like a mid '60's Army pilot would wear. Yes, you already "need" another jacket! :D

In an earlier post, someone mentioned going to George Petersen to have a patch made. While he is not the guy for a WW II patch, he is the guy to have your unit's patch hand done Vietnamese style. He gets them handmade in Vietnam, and does the best job of anybody doing it. I think he also does hand embroidered name strips too.

Hobbstc

Well guys after having it a week I have decided its just a bit too big. My chest is a 41 and this just feels a bit too large. I will have a thread in the buy/sell in a bit but if anyone is interested it's $550 shipped or taking trade offers for other A2s. It's a beautiful jacket though! Wish it was a bit smaller for me.

unclegrumpy

Hobbstc said:
Well guys after having it a week I have decided its just a bit too big. My chest is a 41 and this just feels a bit too large. I will have a thread in the buy/sell in a bit but if anyone is interested it's $550 shipped or taking trade offers for other A2s. It's a beautiful jacket though! Wish it was a bit smaller for me.
Now you are officially a member of the group! :lol:

Hobbstc

I was trying so hard to NOT be a member of the group :lol: It's ok though. I'd rather be a member and have one that I feel comfortable in and fits properly. It feels bigger than I think it should. I'm not talking about wanting shirt tight or anything, but definitely one size smaller would be better. And no, I don't want to HWT a basically new jacket.

Clark J

I'm telling you chopper boy,,,you would feel 100% different about the jacket if you just fixed the sleeves!!!The rest looks as if it fits well.And then wear the wheels off of it!!!Just Do it,,you will not hurt it,,,it will only improve the jacket either way!

ButteMT61

Clark J said:
I'm telling you chopper boy,,,you would feel 100% different about the jacket if you just fixed the sleeves!!!The rest looks as if it fits well.And then wear the wheels off of it!!!Just Do it,,you will not hurt it,,,it will only improve the jacket either way!

He has a 41" chest and a size 46 jacket. I think he's smart to get a new one myself :)
I just wish it was too big in a 48 so I could buy it :lol:

Clark J

Yeh but even if he goes crazy in the weight room the odds are he's only going to get bigger.