• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Few D-1......fit pic's added

I picked this up at the Few HQ 2 weeks ago, just as a cold winter snap hit NZ.

The wool is very curly and tight, it didn't respond well to being cropped to 7mm, it's between 10 and 12 mm.
During a previous visit to the Few, I saw the skins, a sample set of 5, from NZ Merinos, fortunately enough for this jacket.
The fleece reminds me of a skin I had beside my bed that came off the back of one of our homekill dogtucker ewes.
The jacket is not as light as I planned it to be but I'm very happy with it.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Bevan.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: Few D-1

bristolherc said:
I picked this up at the Few HQ 2 weeks ago, just as a cold winter snap hit NZ.

I can confirm the weather, I was cold this morning wearing an A-2.

... and I've seen the beast, she's heavy, and the perfect fit.

John Lever

Nice one Bevan, looks like the Vintage Finish to me. Did you shear the wool your self or did they do it for you ?
I like the arm seams, my original had a similar design but just sewn together with no seam tapes.

John Lever said:
Nice one Bevan, looks like the Vintage Finish to me. Did you shear the wool your self or did they do it for you ?
I like the arm seams, my original had a similar design but just sewn together with no seam tapes.

I colour is more Chocholate brown than the Seal vintage finish.

The fleece was trimmed at a hide processing plant.

Bevan.

John Lever

bristolherc said:
John Lever said:

I colour is more Chocholate brown than the Seal vintage finish.

The fleece was trimmed at a hide processing plant.

Bevan.
Good idea to have the wool trimmed by experts.

Grant

Bevan, Awesome looking D-1! RMNZ/ The Few makes the best D-1 around. I still regret selling mine a couple years ago as it was more practical than a B-3 and very warm for the weight of the jacket. Interesting that The Few decided to stamp Rough Wear on the back panel, did they base that on an Original? I've seen original S.A.A.D (San Antonio Army Depot) stamped D-1's but never Rough Wear.

Grant said:
Bevan, Awesome looking D-1! RMNZ/ The Few makes the best D-1 around. I still regret selling mine a couple years ago as it was more practical than a B-3 and very warm for the weight of the jacket. Interesting that The Few decided to stamp Rough Wear on the back panel, did they base that on an Original? I've seen original S.A.A.D (San Antonio Army Depot) stamped D-1's but never Rough Wear.

Thanks Grant. In my opinion the D-1 is an underated jacket. A very simple block shaped pattern.
I've seen the S.A.A.D. stamping too, and believe that this RW version was based on a basket case original jacket.

Bevan.

Peter Graham

Very nice. One jacket I regret selling was my original Perry D-1. A really practical, well designed jacket, apart from the lack of pockets. I see yours has a "theatre" added pocket. Did you specifiy it or do they come like that ?

Peter Graham said:
Very nice. One jacket I regret selling was my original Perry D-1. A really practical, well designed jacket, apart from the lack of pockets. I see yours has a "theatre" added pocket. Did you specifiy it or do they come like that ?

Peter, As I recall the rotten original that the pattern came from had no pockets, but I spec'd this one to make the jacket more user friendly,

Bevan.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
... and RM often offer one, or two patch pockets on their Rough Wear, or Werber patterns. If you call them rigger pockets, they can be authentic, as well as practical.