• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite piece in everyone’s collection?

Griffon_301

The effect of the Wunderwaffe was real and felt throughout every frontline soldier. Another example of the effectiveness of the german propaganda machine.

It's a very nice A-2 with priceless provenance, that sadly will be lost in time...

D

I guess seeing firsthand what four 30mm cannons could do to a bomber and it's crew was way more effective than any propaganda...

Smithy

or the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time.

I think I've mentioned this here before but one of my Dad's mates was commanding a Spitfire XIV squadron towards the end of the war and met a 262 - the one thing he told me which shattered his confidence in the XIV was when he met that 262 over Germany and even though he had a squirt at it and was flat out it left him for dead.

OperationCoffee

Favorite for the day. Werber 7823 A
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

B-Man2

For me it's what you don't see that makes this original Spiewak A-2 a favorite. Having had the chance to speak with the original owner and hear about how this jacket got him through 40 combat missions as lead navigator makes this jacket special. The jacket is all original except the sleeve knits. They were replaced by the original owner in Southern France after flying missions out of North Africa and Sardinia.

View attachment 73025
I was fortunate enough to have joined this forum about 13 years ago, when vintage jackets were somewhat more prevalent than they are here today . One of the first things I learned from you , Vic, George and a few others was that this hobby is so much more than simply finding wartime jackets and wearing them around because they looked cool. The real focus of the hobby are the stories of the people who wore these jackets and their sacrifices and what became of their lives during and after the war. This is a great jacket with a brilliant back story.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Really can't name just one. Among originals, it's probably...

W&G AN-J-3. This one just fell into my lap. Saw it on eBay, poorly described, got it for a few hundred, and found that it was in perfect condition, apart from needing new knit cuffs.
View attachment 72971

Monarch A-2: just such a cool contract, so much so that, in spite of owning an original, I'm still buying one from John Chapman.
View attachment 72972

And among repros, probably my GW Acme/Aero B-6:
View attachment 72973

edit: and yes, I am wearing the same trousers in all three photos. :p I guess photos taken while wearing them just come out well. :D
Lovely Monarch. I have one myself. I'm a fan.

Spitfireace

Hahaha, thanks, man. As I said, it's not about the jacket, but the history behind it. I'll never forget how he described the sound of flak shrapnel hitting a plane, or the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time. It's having heard these stories first hand that are priceless to me. Sadly, most of these guys are gone now, so hearing these are left to recordings and films.
I have something like that myself. I don't feel like I can wear it around though. It sits in my drawer. As a keepsake.

Smithy

Brice
If you’re ok with it , would you please tell us a little bit about the original owner of this jacket. Once again I think the stories of the people who wore these jackets are as valuable as the actual jacket itself . Thanks

I agree, would love to hear the story of the fellow who flew in this incredible jacket Brice!

Spitfireace

Yes, I know you also know how light weight the Monarch original is. So it's nice to have somebody else who knows. Horsehide. You would think it's so much more heavy. I bought an Aero, but it seemed so much heavier.

ausreenactor

Hahaha, thanks, man. As I said, it's not about the jacket, but the history behind it. I'll never forget how he described the sound of flak shrapnel hitting a plane, or the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time. It's having heard these stories first hand that are priceless to me. Sadly, most of these guys are gone now, so hearing these are left to recordings and films.
I was going to say Grant's ELC Hells Angels A-2! I replicated Grant's jacket with Ties' art!