• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite piece in everyone’s collection?

mulceber

Really can't name just one. Among originals, it's probably...

W&G AN-J-3. This one just fell into my lap. Saw it on eBay, poorly described, got it for a few hundred, and found that it was in perfect condition, apart from needing new knit cuffs.
4E88CC51-134C-4D16-8F0A-1BB8326311E7_1_105_c.jpeg

Monarch A-2: just such a cool contract, so much so that, in spite of owning an original, I'm still buying one from John Chapman.
IMG_4080.jpeg

And among repros, probably my GW Acme/Aero B-6:
47CA5A85-624F-45B2-B58E-0B223D77BB2D_1_105_c.jpeg

edit: and yes, I am wearing the same trousers in all three photos. :p I guess photos taken while wearing them just come out well. :D

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Hmmmmmmm what jackets do I wear the most, well during the
Cooler weather that I’m currently experiencing I wear these three the most
leather wise , my noble house sheepskin
It’s warm, great for -10c to -40c (tested) comfortable and has garnered a lot of compliments
And just makes me feel good.
DC540374-961B-49C9-8CED-D0592D7B55DD.jpeg

Secondly my schott, it’s detachable collar and zip in liner make it very
Versatile, great for milder winter weather and cooler motorcycle weather days
And it’s civilian cut allows for layering
84DF359D-3905-499F-8941-A4F3202D424E.jpeg

Non leather wise it’s my blanket lined denim storm rider jacket
It’s light , warm very comfortable and for me an iconic jacket
48D16453-585A-409B-93DB-211D5AAE5699.jpeg

Last edited:

MauldinFan

It's not the most impressive, but I guess this is my favorite.
No idea who made this as it came with no tags, but I put a correct AAF nametape and a 91st BG patch I painted, along with the AAF meatball rubber stamp on the liner.
COL Robert Morgan, pilot of the "Memphis Belle", signed the liner the last time I saw him...
20211107_191646-01.jpeg

20211107_191656-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Kermit3D

I have only two jackets (soon 3) only reproductions :
- An A-2 Dubow (Bill Kelso)
- A cyclist jacket (sometimes called Hartmann jacket)
- And soon a B-6 (Goodwear)

I really love my A-2 Dubow, and I'm sure my future B-6 will be great ! But (for now) my preference is for my cyclist jacket. It's not originally an aviator jacket, and certainly not a military jacket, but the history of this jacket is really interesting. Sometimes worker's jacket, biker's jacket, german (luftwaffe) aviator's jacket, french resistance fighter's jacket,...

DSC_0210.jpg

Grant

For me it's what you don't see that makes this original Spiewak A-2 a favorite. Having had the chance to speak with the original owner and hear about how this jacket got him through 40 combat missions as lead navigator makes this jacket special. The jacket is all original except the sleeve knits. They were replaced by the original owner in Southern France after flying missions out of North Africa and Sardinia.

Spiew.jpg

Grant

Hahaha, thanks, man. As I said, it's not about the jacket, but the history behind it. I'll never forget how he described the sound of flak shrapnel hitting a plane, or the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time. It's having heard these stories first hand that are priceless to me. Sadly, most of these guys are gone now, so hearing these are left to recordings and films.

Lorenzo_l

For me it's what you don't see that makes this original Spiewak A-2 a favorite. Having had the chance to speak with the original owner and hear about how this jacket got him through 40 combat missions as lead navigator makes this jacket special. The jacket is all original except the sleeve knits. They were replaced by the original owner in Southern France after flying missions out of North Africa and Sardinia.

View attachment 73025

Man, what a privilege it must be to be the caretaker/custodian of such a piece of history, one whose story was told to you by its original owner and and one that you can wear, to boot. Great stuff, Grant!

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time

The effect of the Wunderwaffe was real and felt throughout every frontline soldier. Another example of the effectiveness of the german propaganda machine.

It's a very nice A-2 with priceless provenance, that sadly will be lost in time...

D

Lorenzo_l

Hahaha, thanks, man. As I said, it's not about the jacket, but the history behind it. I'll never forget how he described the sound of flak shrapnel hitting a plane, or the fear of seeing a Me262 attack their squadron for the first time. It's having heard these stories first hand that are priceless to me. Sadly, most of these guys are gone now, so hearing these are left to recordings and films.

I'd like to think that those in possession of original flight jackets have a duty not only to look after them as true historical artifacts, but also to keep the stories of their original owners alive, such as we sometimes do in this forum. But then again, that's just me sayin'

Last edited: