• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAO Butte, non jacket related.

Otter

Rest of you, move along, nothing to see here.

Butte, I am at the planning stage for a trip in October, you are a Nothern California dweller? What weather conditions could I reasonably expect during the first two weeks in October, planning on the usual route for a driving holiday SF/Yosemite/Mono Lake/Vegas/LA/SF.

Dr H

Try him on the movie section of FL (more likely to find him there).
Alternatively, I'll send you a PM with an e-mail.

a2jacketpatches

I've been researching the area as I plan to move up that way in a few months, pretty sure it'll be mild and comfortable that time of the year.

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
I've been researching the area as I plan to move up that way in a few months, pretty sure it'll be mild and comfortable that time of the year.
I thought you just moved?

jack aranda

Pardon me for jumping in, but, I think Butte lives in Pasadena, a suburb of Los Angeles, mos' def' in southern California.
As a lifelong resident of NoCal, I'm able to report that October is the fairest of the twelve-month here, the very best month to visit. A-2 weather, light sweater maybe. Often very warm-to-hot, in fact. Giants should be winning another World Series about then, Niners ramping up for another season leading to yet another Super Bowl, all the usual stuff. And, there is Fleet Week early in the month--Blue Angels, parade of Navy vessels. Oh, yeah, October rocks in the Bay Area.

Mono Lake is a must. Las Vegas...you're on your own there. A blighted spot, full of zombies and other lost.

a2jacketpatches

unclegrumpy said:
a2jacketpatches said:
I thought you just moved?

Lease runs out in 3 months. It's nice up here in the mountains, but very limited, we have Kmart and two grocery stores. It's about an hour either way down the mountain to do anything else. Looking into Ridgecrest / Bakers field / Edwards AFB area. All are about the same distance from each other in a triangle, and our new member PaulGT3 tells me it's loaded with retired - current pilots, so estate sailing sounds promising (about the only thing I do for fun) Also, there a decent sized Asian population with all the resources that go with that, food markets, Thai Temple, etc. so my wife will be a lot more comfortable. She's also just had her U.S. status adjusted and wants to get a career started, maybe in the medical field. Just nothing up here for her. It's kind of a pain moving so much lately but we've kept everything to a minimum while we explore, not much furniture etc. to move around. Just the business. The house rentals there are numerous. Paying close to 2000- a month here between the house and the shop with utilities. I'll be able to consolidate all into a 3 bedroom house with garage for about a thousand. And with my wife working, that'll be like an increase of 3-4000- extra per month. Just another step in a good direction for us. We started in a small apartment in Santa Ana in between two rival gangs, crabby neighbors, on a very busy and noisy street and probably won't stop til everything feels perfect. I'm not one to settle for less no matter what it is.

Otter

Thanks for the info Jack, I just needed some confirmation that it was a good time of year to go. The past few years we have gone to Florida but I was messing around with flights the other day and prices for the West Coast looked quite good for this October. It means we can visit Mickey in his California home (the only reason for L.A.) :lol:

SuinBruin

October in Northern California is great and the Sierra Nevada is beautiful at that time of year. Cool-to-warm days, clear cold nights, and some of the best mountain scenery anywhere.

How long will you be here? One of the best itineraries for California would be to start in LA... then north on Highway 1 up the coast, through Malibu, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Simeon (Hearst Castle), then Big Sur and Carmel/Monterey. Up to San Francisco from there, then east on Highway 120 through the Central Valley to Yosemite. From there you can cut over to 395 and take it south past Mono Lake (side trip to Bodie), Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Lone Pine, Big Pine, to the Mojave (including Edwards AFB). Then back to LA. This route gets you the best of the coast and the mountains, with side trips if you like (wine country, Death Valley, etc.).

Otter

Thanks Suin, that is pretty much the planned journey. We are intending to spend just over 2 weeks, is ther much worth seeing at Edwards? I dragged Mrs O and 11yo daughter kicking and screaming to the Fantasy of Flight in Florida this summer. They ended up admitting they had quite a fun day and we even saw the Feisler Storch fly.