• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

experience in cold weather

marco77

We now arrive in spring , but for the next and maybe cold winter , I really think about to buy a warm flight jacket , certainly an ELC : Irvin, b-10, b-6, anj-4 ..... please share with us your experience with your flight jacket (heavy, not so warm ....)

Marco :cool: :cool:

nogbat

eastman b6 roughwear , nice fit and very warm, have had the jacket about 3 years and it really came into its own this winter :(

John Lever

The heavy sheepskins will keep you warm but can be very tiring on the shoulders after a few hours of wear. The best looking are Irvins and the US navy type shearlings. IMO
Pockets are useful, but forget answering your mobile in time before voice mail picks up.

marco77

ELC Irvin will certainlly one of my choice for the look !!!
You're right John , I 'm not sure to touch my hear with my phone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason

How cold is cold? For me, cold is anything below freezing.

Forgive my metric scale, but I tend to go:
15 to 10 degrees C (common day time temp in winter here) : A2.
10 to 0 degrees C : G-1. Trying to add to this with a B-10 or similar cloth.
5 degrees C and below (common morning and night temp in winter here) : I've a choice of B-15 by Alpha, WPG Irvin, or if I'm doing something that could damage those two, a cheap knock-about CWU45P does very well at keeping me warm too... and is very practical with pockets etc.
For those really frosty mornings where its -5 or lower, then the real Irvin sometimes gets used, or I'll layer underneath my B-15.

Tim P

lighter, go for an eastman b6.. heavier your best bet is an AN-J-4 because unlike the b3 and irvin which it compares to in insulation, it has pockets that you can use.

Peter Graham

I'd go for cloth or nylon every time. If it's WW2 jackets you're talking then it's hard to beat a B-10 if it's cold and a B-9 or 11 if it's colder. Postwar, any nylon B-15 and if it's really cold, an N-3B. All these jackets have practical, usable pockets. Sheepskin jackets just can't provide those.

Tim P

I agree with peter, I had assumed that you meant a sheepskin... Nylon jackets are lighter, more wearable and more practical yet offer excellent insulation.

TankBuster

Peter Graham said:
I'd go for cloth or nylon every time. If it's WW2 jackets you're talking then it's hard to beat a B-10 if it's cold and a B-9 or 11 if it's colder. Postwar, any nylon B-15 and if it's really cold, an N-3B. All these jackets have practical, usable pockets. Sheepskin jackets just can't provide those.

I couldn't agree more. My B-10 and B-11 are my favorite late fall and winter wearers. We get some extremely cold weather here in MN, and they do the trick.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
marco77 said:
For the ANJ-4 , is the "AN" significate that the jacket was used both for Navy and Army ?

Marco

Yes ... developed jointly by the Army Air Force & US Navy.

Swing

marco77 said:
We now arrive in spring , but for the next and maybe cold winter , I really think about to buy a warm flight jacket , certainly an ELC : Irvin, b-10, b-6, anj-4 ..... please share with us your experience with your flight jacket (heavy, not so warm ....)

After more than 10 years of this I'm too old, and too tired of being to cold, to try to be stylish anymore. I froze enough in my Buzz deck jacket this winter, and just have never been all that comfortable or warm in my ELC B-6, that I'm going to have a modern parka before next winter arrives.

~Swing

airfrogusmc

marco77 said:

Got this as a custom order a couple months back from US Authentic and I love it.
IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

And I added this big brass Talon slider (thanks again Clark)
IMG_9469.jpg

Paper clip zip came on it.

Heavy but VERY WARM!!!

rikitiki

I bought my A-2 slightly big so I could wear a sweater underneath. Layering is the best way to beat the cold. Undershirt, fleece shirt, sweater and A-2 on top.

Peter Graham

marco77 said:
And what about Usn deck jacket like BR N-1 ? Are they warm ?

Marco
Well warm but not in extreme temperatures. I find the N-1 a sharp looking, practical but quite restrictive jacket.

Atticus

Its been a good jacket year, this. Since October, I've worn amost everything I own...from A-1 to N-2A. But now that spring has arrived, and as I look back at last winter, I think I wore an old '74 Deck jacket the most. Plain and pedestrian but warm and practical.

AF